• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for June 2014 [Up3: All Hardware (June/LTD), Top 10 Software SKUs]

Salex_

And I'd agree with you. Only reason Sony will keep selling better I'd say is momentum, not because they have the best game lineup as all their worthwhile stuff isn't due until next year.

Also, bad pr did have a negative effect on Xbone, I still have people act surprised when I tell them the drm/always online stuff is gone. Some people i know were actually holding off from buying an Xbone for that very reason.

Not sure why you're having a hard time believing that more people want a PS4 over a X1 (there's numerous of possible reasons) and why you're so close to saying the X1 objectively has the better remaining 2014 lineup.

Retail games:

X1: Halo MC, Sunset Overdrive, and Forza Horizon 2.
PS4. TLOU: Remastered, LBP3, Driveclub, and Guilty Gear Xrd.

Digital titles looks a bit lop sided. The only retail game in the same genre is Forza/Driveclub. Let's not act surprised that people might like different genres than you.

javac

Mario Kart is historically a much bigger title than Smash. By a lot. Smash is still but would you expect it to make a bigger splash than Mario Kart? Mario Kart might just be Nintendo's biggest console franchise. Bigger than Mario platformers. Bigger than Zelda and Smash.

Problem is the Smash community is pretty hardcore. A lot of them will just stick with Melee but I think the vast majority of the people who picked Brawl up day one and went on to help it move 2.7 million copies in it's first month were hardcore fans too. They'll be there day one. MK is massive and has a core audience too, but I'd hazard a guess and say a large majority of the people who pick up MK are more on the casual side of things and such. Plus I think MK8 only sold as well as it did because it genuinely surprised people in how high quality the title is. That's why imo it moved a fair amount of systems. I don't think that many people were actively holding out for MK8 but instead got swept up with the hype once it came out whereas Smash is...Smash. We've seen a shit load of footage including a hype ass tournament. I think Smash will do well.

At the end of the day the system (Wii U) has a different following than the Wii and I feel different types of games will sell differently when compared to similar titles and genres on previous Nintendo systems.

Dire

Once again it's because all of the casuals from the Wii left to tablets/phones and never came back.

Out of curiosity, is there any reason whatsoever that people keep saying this? As in data or anything along those lines? You know stuff like this which references this?

The reason I say this is that mobile hasn't actually grown much in raw numbers while PC gaming has exploded in such. Steam for instance gained more than 10million new gamers in launch window of next gen alone - going from 65million in October 2013 to more than 75million in mid January 2014. The Steam numbers may not mean much in a vacuum, but we're not in a vacuum. The research from superdata also indicates a changing landscape of gaming:

Primary platform usage:
2008:
Console 42%
Mobile 5%
PC 37%

2013:
Console 30%
Mobile 13%
PC 51%

As you can see from the earlier sources or even ones such as this mobile is not really the huge thing that some portray it as on here. I feel in some ways these comments are more guided by elitism rather than objective analysis.

"Wii gamers weren't "real" gamers."
"Mobile games aren't for "real" gamers."
Console gaming is shrinking.
Mobile gaming is growing.
QED BITCH!

Lastly we can also see from figures like the Steam hardware survey that even the average machine connected to Steam isn't exactly what you'd call an enthusiast gamer box. It's a dual core 2.3-2.69ghz machine with integrated graphics (hello laptops), 8GB RAM and less than 500GB of total HDD space.

whateverblah

Neo Member
If that site is to be believed, the difference in PS4 and XONE is overexaggerated and the death of WiiU is underexaggerated. PS4 YTD14 > XONE YTD14 >>>> WiiU YTD13+YTD14. Also the 3DS momentum is slowing down, and the titles for this holiday won't do much of a change (just a Pokemon remake and then there's Smash Brothers, which is also available and best played on the home console platform).

Being outsold by 700k and climbing in your only strong territory is a huge problem. I don't think it's over-exaggerated at all.

Road

Wii LTD: 41.8m
360 LTD: 41.5m

I had Wii at 41.7m, so there's 100k extra from adjustments. It's gonna take a little longer until the 360 surpasses it.

LTD for games released this year, without console bundle.

DS2 - 360:227k, 3:218k

No legs at all.

June - 24k

Better work on that next-gen remaster.

Tomodachi Life download ratio was 21% (download / (download + physical) ). Does anyone keep track of other Nintendo launches? Seems to be the highest so far (from memory).

sörine

Banned

Fit - 48k
TR - 1:99k, 4:179k
DKC - 285k
LRFF13 - 1:74k, 4:139k
ToSC - 77k
PVZ - 360:295k, 1:163k
TF - 1:1010k, 360:614k
ISS - 648k
FFHD - 3:276k
SPtSoT - 360:289k, 3:236k
WD - 4:793k, 1:500k, 360:326k, 3: 255k
∞ - 753k
How about some hahdheld ltds? Pretty please?

Fit - 48k
TR - 1:99k, 4:179k
DKC - 285k
LRFF13 - 1:74k, 4:139k
ToSC - 77k
PVZ - 360:295k, 1:163k
TF - 1:1010k, 360:614k
ISS - 648k
FFHD - 3:276k
SPtSoT - 360:289k, 3:236k
WD - 4:793k, 1:500k, 360:326k, 3: 255k
∞ - 753k

What is SPtSoT?

Watch Dogs is mega blockbuster. ISS going strong.

Caught up how? By being a blue ray player? It got crushed in software sales. Sony was coming off one of the biggest most dominate market leaderships in gaming history with the PS2 and they "caught up".

I don't see the two as equal. PS3's blunder was far worse than the Xbox Ones. There is nothing wrong with the X1 at all. It will do perfectly fine.

Lol

Get your emotions in check son. Facts are facts.

Being outsold by 700k and climbing in your only strong territory is a huge problem. I don't think it's over-exaggerated at all.

In the same month that they had a new skew with perceived price drop, Titanfall bundle deals at target and more to $440, and a marketing push so people new about the new $399 price-point, and assuming people held out last month for the new price. It's horrible.

RE_Player

So PS4 is pretty much lead platform for devs and sales right? Maybe Microsoft can beat Sony a couple months when they have big games but overall and worldwide Sony has this generation.

Guevara

If the pie chart interpretations are correct, seems like PS4 sales are even better than expected: weekly average sales are actually getting better despite summer and no major releases.

Lefein

Banned
I need a breakdown of how the PS4 is still selling this well. Does the mass market still think the Xbox is a DRM machine?

Remember when everyone was saying that PS3s pricepoint was ridiculous even though it had free online?

Public perception can be a stone cold bastage.

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
Lastly we can also see from figures like the Steam hardware survey that even the average machine connected to Steam isn't exactly what you'd call an enthusiast gamer box. It's a dual core 2.3-2.69ghz machine with integrated graphics (hello laptops), 8GB RAM and less than 500GB of total HDD space.
Yippie I'm not the only one that is citing Steam hardware survey numbers. Usually when I do it I'm accused of distorting the truth.

what if the site's numbers are being provided by creamsugar?

m-night-shyamalan.jpg

For some reason I feel like Dark Souls 2 should have done better :/

Makes me wonder what the PC sales are like in comparison.

Numbers are decent, but yeah, should be better. I suspect PC did very well since it blew past 360 statistics very quickly on farfire.darksoulsii.com. It is probably 400k-500k at the minimum.

noobasuar

Banned
All these game sales seem pathetic when compared to the chart of game sales in 2001 that was posted a few pages back.

Add to the fact that development costs are so much bigger 13 years later and all I can see is doom.

nib95

Banned
I need a breakdown of how the PS4 is still selling this well. Does the mass market still think the Xbox is a DRM machine?
Doubt that's it, not for many people anyway. I think the value perception is just better with the PS4. Better hardware performance for the money (which means better versions of multiplats), PS+, more games released on a monthly basis, greater quantity of indies (which act as good fillers, especially for free), the wealth of F2P stuff and the prospect of future PS exclusives (many of which have turned in to mega franchises now).

Top Bottom