• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for June 2015 [Up2: Batman, Splatoon]

Shiggy

Splatoon illustrates why NoA wanted to pass out on Devil's Third and why third parties avoid the Wii U. Only games with strong family and kid appeal in combination with a big marketing push seem to find an audience on Wii U. Most third parties don't create such games as they wouldn't sell well on the other platforms.

Mael

Splatoon illustrates why NoA wanted to pass out on Devil's Third and why third parties avoid the Wii U. Only games with strong family and kid appeal in combination with a big marketing push seem to find an audience on Wii U. Most third parties don't create such games as they wouldn't sell well on the other platforms.

There's stuffs like Plants Vs Zombie 2 I think that worked as a tps full of colors and everything.
I guess it's easier to get fundings for gritty shooter than with games with broad appeal...

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
Do you also remember all the hyperbole about how much it sold before we got official numbers? There is always two sides to a coin. Let's not pretend there aren't just as many people vocal about splatoons success. Which you realize is just a Wii U level success considering in 2 weeks in the US alone batman has out sold it world wide.

That alone is something. For Nintendo to try out a different type of game, especially in recent years?

I think most people are just happy/satisfied to see that it's selling well enough (relative to other franchises on the console) to most likely be picked up as a standard part of Nintendo's "generational" franchise line-up. There aren't really any dreams of a massive Wii-U turn around, anymore, it's just about salvaging the most good out of a relatively depressed development cycle as Nintendo can.

On the whole, if Nintendo manages to launch a new perpetual IP even in the midst of the Wii-U catastrophe, that's pretty good. Particularly since it's looking like the "Wii"(/Mii)-brand games aren't likely to survive to become perennial franchises, and will need to be replaced.

This. I might not be a big fan of Nintendo anymore....but you gotta give props where its due.

Bgamer90

Banned
An old game is an old game. A remake is a remake. "You could play old games" isn't going to do much for them.

That's... not really an explanation.

Overall, I feel it will simply depend on how MS pushes/advertises it. Modern devices show that people like compatibility with previous purchases. It simply makes a (new) device become a better purchase for some who owned that device's predecessor.

Jomjom

Banned
Looks like Batman ate up all the potential sales for other games on the PS4. Xbone sold better on a bunch of other games in the top 10.

Ps4 and Xbox one continue to sell really well. Really good to see. This surely mean big install base = more software sales= more games.

Guymelef

Of course XBO sold better in the week of the E3, 1TB bundle was released, you can bet the increase for PS4 the next week with Batman bundle was above that "+79% WOW"

You think 10 year olds care about resolution? My brother plays his 360 on a 768p TV and his 360 wasn't even set right, it was set to 480p until I saw it. Unless you meant something else?

The 10 year old here has a PS2--and access to my library of 300 games.

Ridley327

There's stuffs like Plants Vs Zombie 2 I think that worked as a tps full of colors and everything.
I guess it's easier to get fundings for gritty shooter than with games with broad appeal...

Assuming that EA wouldn't have gone all scorched earth on the Wii U, the Garden Warfare games would probably be a pretty good match for the Wii U audience.

Sandfox

I think Devil's Third has more to do with the game being bad and a for sure bomb. Also, third parties would have no problem making family games if the sales are there.

Toki767

It was a good statistic to show, and shows that E3 was really good for the Xbox One.

But yeah lets all gang up on him for reasons.
It doesn't mean anything when your competitor is about to launch a new bundle the next week and buyers are waiting for that.

Kriken

I'm pretty sure the PS4 > 8 million in the USA if Xbox One is > 10 million.

Xbox One isn't over 10 million in the US, the wording in that tweet is 2 different things

vlcsnap-2012-11-15-17h08m49s203.png

GnawtyDog

Banned
Guess my post rustled some jimmies of misunderstanding.

All I said was anything less than a 100k gap for June between PS4 and Xbox One sales I would find rather poor.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
It was a good statistic to show, and shows that E3 was really good for the Xbox One.

But yeah lets all gang up on him for reasons.

Or people were waiting for PS4 price drop announcement that week (a lot on here said they were holding off), and also waiting to get the Bat Bundle. But congrats Greenie?

Xbro

I'm curious about Vita numbers.

The PSTV was on sale at Gamestop and BestBuy for $40 for the majority of June.

Why are people actively trying to diminish Splatoon sales? Last month people said the game would fall off the June charts, but it finished at #5 for the month.

That's been the go to strategy since the hyperbolic bombing predictions turned out to be completely wrong. Some people on GAF just have a hard on for Splatoon not doing well for some reason.

Guess my post rustled some jimmies of misunderstanding.

All I said was anything less than a 100k for June between PS4 and Xbox One sales I would find rather poor.

Bring this point back up in 3 days when the console war zealots are out arguing about resolutions and we can discuss it more intelligently.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Hardware sales seem high for the new consoles this month. Good to see. I expected Batman would gove a boost to next gen adoption.

Welfare

It doesn't mean anything when your competitor is about to launch a new bundle the next week and buyers are waiting for that.

Because buyers waiting for the PS4 bundle affects the Xbox One's sales. So Xbox One sales increased 79% week over week because potential PS4 buyers were waiting, meaning no sales would be made from them? Come on now.

Kayant

Guess I'm showing my age? That's how it was for me as a kid in the PS1 and early PS2 days. A couple of my coworkers with young kids have a 360 with Kinect in their living room.

And am not showing mine yet :p
The life of a 20 year old :)

Top Bottom