• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for March 2010

Baki

Talladega Knight said:
oh, then it must be true. also diddy was involved in tupac's death.

Well you don't have any evidence to suggest otherwise except irrational paranoia. When you do have something, wake me up.

Boney

Banned
Wait, in it's first month, how much did FFXIII did in Japan compared to America. It certainly feels higher.

Celine

evolution said:
Im honestly surprised by the gap in FF13 software. Virtually no PS3 related marketing and it still comes out on top by that much. It seems FF will be a playstation centric franchise for a little while longer.
You are really surprised that the version that sold most was on the console it was originally announced for ?

Baki said:
Well you don't have any evidence to suggest otherwise except irrational paranoia. When you do have something, wake me up.
The existence of shortages, which I don't think any rational person is disputing, does not logically lead to the conclusion that if there were a higher supply, that the ps3 would have sold more in the retail channels. Does that help you understand now?

psrock

GOW3 sold more than I expected, but it seems a lot of people expected over a million, let me check the prediction thread.

Sony is seriously a complex company, they have shortages when there is demand, but have too much when no one wants the PS3.

mr_nothin

Banned
elrechazao said:
Why not buy one on amazon or gamestop, in stock at both places for 299...I'm in the market myself, just waiting for a sale or a deal somewhere because I'm cheap. My 60 gigger finally died. My local walmart and kmart both have them in stock as well.
I dont like waiting for something I've already paid for and I also want to be able to take it back if there happens to be something wrong with it. Packing it up and shipping it off just to wait for a replacement/refund is just not my cup of tea.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
How about we wait for the top 20 before we decide which games were flops, k? This happens every NPD.

It's not like movie charts, where the top 2 or 3 movies make the vast majority of the sales for a weekend and anything outside the top 10 is irrelevant. Game sales are more spread out than that.

elrechazao said:
The existence of shortages, which I don't think any rational person is disputing, does not logically lead to the conclusion that if there were a higher supply, that the ps3 would have sold more in the retail channels. Does that help you understand now?

207_not_sure_if_serious.jpg

ATTN People With No Sense Of Humor!!!!

Forums poster "Draft" was making a JOKE!!! about the length of "Gran Turismo 5"'s development cycle!!!!! "JOKES" are ironic statements meant to illicit MIRTH and LAUGHTER in other people!! Draft as insinuating through HUMOR that Gran Turismo 5 will not come out this year, in keeping with its delays and very long development time!!! THAT IS THE JOKE

THANK YOU AND HAVE A NICE DAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

lowrider007

Licorice-flavoured booze?
Celine said:
You are really surprised that the version that sold most was on the console it was originally announced for ?

I don't think he is saying that, he is surprised at the 'gap', as am I, I expected it to sell the most on the PS3 but didn't expect the gap to be as large, perhaps not as many core ps2 owners had jumped on the 360 as I had initially thought.

charlequin said:
The PS3 ... can beat the 360 on the right multiplatform games by a big margin

Those games being ones that are demonstrably superior on PS3, have additional features or DLC on PS3, or timed exclusivity.

Has there been a major 3rd party multiplatform release where the PS3 version has beaten the 360 version in sales and one of the above factors hasn't been in effect?

If not, then we have to admit that platform holders paying for exclusive modes, DLC, etc. might, in fact, have some impact on the outcome, as does having the superior version. It can also mean that there is significant multiplatform ownership and people simply buy the best version.

If, somehow, the 360 version of FF13 was expected to be (and turned out to be) the superior version (I know, I know), then would we have seen the same breakdown in PS3 vs 360? I don't think so. Is it true, as some in the thread have suggested, that "all the JRPG fans" have bought PS3s despite the fact the system has been relatively weak in that category compared to the 360 for years, or is it that a significant amount of people were going to buy the game no matter what platform and simply purchased the superior version of it? I vote for the latter.

Metalic Sand

who is Emo-Beas?
Wonder how many potential FF13 buyers were put off like i was for the 360 version. Seeing how inferior it was i chose to wait till i have another PS3.

Baki

elrechazao said:

Let me put it another way for you.

The existance of shortages means that the number we have here is NOT representative of demand because there was not satisfactory supply to fully satisfy demand.

So in other words, we have no idea what the sales would have been like had there been supply to satisfy demand.

Zen

Banned
Aspiring said:
Bloody hell HUGE fucking numbers for PS3 games in there. WOW at GOW3. Yet how does the hardware be so low? Are there still shortages?

From what wer've heard, yeah. Sony is pretty much selling what they can ship.

Great numbers all around. I do wonder about FF selling that 3 million though (although are Canada and Mexico included? Then it would make more sense).

Celine

lowrider007 said:
I don't think he is saying that, he is surprised at the 'gap', as am I, I expected it to sell the most on the PS3 but didn't expect the gap to be as large, perhaps not as many core FF owners had jumped on the 360 as I had initially thought.
Fixed for you.

Pooya

Shig said:
Pretty shocked to see FFXIII beat out Bad Company 2, to be honest.
Battlefield is shooting for irrelevancy! :lol
XIII wasn't very good. can't say it deserved this strong sales, hope they use it for developing better games in future (read Versus).

Bog

Junior Ace
EmCeeGramr said:

Forums poster "Draft" was making a JOKE!!! about the length of "Gran Turismo 5"'s development cycle!!!!! "JOKES" are ironic statements meant to illicit MIRTH and LAUGHTER in other people!! Draft as insinuating through HUMOR that Gran Turismo 5 will not come out this year, in keeping with its delays and very long development time!!! THAT IS THE JOKE

You sure take things on a gaming forum seriously.

By the way, no one cares.

EmCeeGramr said:

Jesus Christ dude, chill out. He didn't use any smileys or ANYTHING that would indicate a joke or sarcasm. Do you really expect every poster on this board to fully understand aspects of personality of all the other posters and thus understand when they are joking and when they are writing seriously?

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
mujun said:
I wonder how many months of this we are going to have to put up with.
The Sony press release said there would be shortages for the next few months, so at least the next few months.

gunther

Did I catch up with a npd thread?. :lol .

Anyway any info on Red Steel 2. Im really interested on how it sold. I know its not going to be concluding unless its really low.

edit: Less than 100k and the game has really low chances of succes.

lowrider007

Licorice-flavoured booze?
Metalic Sand said:
Wonder how many potential FF13 buyers were put off like i was for the 360 version. Seeing how inferior it was i chose to wait till i have another PS3.

I doubt not many people outside of forums likes these really cared about the graphical differences tbh.

Metalmurphy said:
It's true.

Because... Polyphony said so? Like they said last year that it would be out last month? :lol

I'm not saying it definitely won't be out this year (it probably will) but c'mon.

NeoUltima

elrechazao said:
I thought you post earlier was a clever sarcastic joke of some sort...I guess not.

xbhaskarx

EmCeeGramr said:

A simple thatsthejoke.gif would have sufficed.

Dr. Zoidberg said:
If, somehow, the 360 version of FF13 was expected to be (and turned out to be) the superior version (I know, I know), then would we have seen the same breakdown in PS3 vs 360?
I'm pretty sure we would... Just like we would if the PS3 had the exclusive map pack for MW2.

evolution

Celine said:
Should that have really mattered? I expected it to be much closer, similar to that of DMC4.

xbhaskarx said:
A simple thatsthejoke.gif would have sufficed.

nah because then they still wouldn't have gotten it

and besides now my 5-second joke post is apparently an ranting insult that has gotten them upset so lol

charlequin said:
Because... Polyphony said so? Like they said last year that it would be out last month? :lol

I'm not saying it definitely won't be out this year (it probably will) but c'mon.
GT5 never had a release date for the US and EU market...

And it will cause at GDC they specifically stated (for the first time) that GT5 WILL release this year. They even emphasised on the WILL part.

Dr. Zoidberg said:
Those games being ones that are demonstrably superior on PS3, have additional features or DLC on PS3, or timed exclusivity.

Sure, but a few years ago a game had to be those things to have the PS3 version tie or come close to tying the 360 version. That's my whole point -- the install base is increasingly unimportant as a factor in the sales of multiplatform titles compared to other factors like superior version, genre (shooters are never going to sell anywhere close as well on PS3), platform incentives, etc.

dolemite

both the Wii and the PS3 had shortages in March, yet one nearly doubles the others number. Also Sony stated that they sent enough units shipped for the God of War III launch, so why the shortages talk?

EagleEyes

evolution said:
Should that have really mattered? I expected it to be much closer, similar to the that of DMC4.
We can go another way if you want. I'm surprised the gap between the 360 version of Battlefield was so wide when the PS3 had the exclusive multiplayer beta.

Kusagari

Absolutely amazing FF13 sales. I :lol at anyone who is disappointed by them. I didn't expect 1 million combined so for the PS3 version alone to get over 800k is damn impressive. It shows that even though JRPGs (besides Pokemon obviously) seem to be doing worse, FF still has sales power.

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
Dabanton said:
How does that make sense?
we could easily flip your comment and say

You see how dumb that is.

Umm, well considering I still have no clue what any of the Battlefield games are (nor do I care, since military themed shooter games, which they sound like, interest me as much as a colonoscopy), I don't see it as dumb.

dolemite said:
both the Wii and the PS3 had shortages in March, yet one nearly doubles the others number. Also Sony stated that they sent enough units shipped for the God of War III launch, so why the shortages talk?
Well, shortages are different with each other you know.

Top Bottom