• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for October 2007

FFChris

gkrykewy said:
Oh god. Everything before PSX, and also DS, say hi. FFXIII is in serious danger of losing an assload of money for SE.

I don't see anyone playing the NES and SNES now, do you?

The reason I say it's as PS brand is that all the recent big budget FF games have came out in the PS console, it's associated with it. Also, FF7 could be argued as the JRPG that brought the genre to mainstream popularity, where the series really took off, what platform was that on?

At the moment, yes they are looking at losing a lot of money with the current userbase, but that isn't to do with the game not selling systems. FF is a big franchise, that's the one I think can bring them up from the gloomy depth of NPD last place, but as I say, by then it might be all too late.

Btw, I see why PS fans are so moody around here. You say one word in favor of the platform and instantly get attacked from all sides. :lol

Leondexter said:
I don't think Final Fantasy has that kind of pull, not in the West. If GTA were still a timed exclusive, that would be the best shot they'd have, but without that, there's nothing I'd call a sure draw. Gran Turismo would be the closest.

The Playstation's power was never in a single franchise, nor even in a handful. Its strength was the diversity and quantity of its lineup, and the Sony name which made it seem less like a toy.

I guess you are right. Nothing exclusive on the PS platform has the pull of Halo, but it's wrong to say they don't have any big hitters. They do.

FFChris said:
I guess you are right. Nothing exclusive on the PS platform has the pull of Halo, but it's wrong to say they don't have any big hitters. They do.

They have nothing bigger than Mario, Zelda, Pokemon, Donkey Kong, etc. Big franchises obviously can't drag you out of last place. If Nintendo's franchises couldn't do it, then Sony's sure can't. They need the whole package, not a few big games.

And Final Fantasy is not that big here. In Japan, it might help dramatically, but not here. The best thing, on the game side, would actually be a new breakout franchise a la GTA or Nintendogs.

mepaco

FFChris said:

The reason I say it's as PS brand is that all the recent big budget FF games have came out in the PS console, it's associated with it. Also, FF7 could be argued as the JRPG that brought the genre to mainstream popularity, where the series really took off, what platform was that on?

Eh. Depends on when you started playing Final Fantasy. Yeah, more recent ones have been on PS devices, but my best Final Fantasy memories are all on Nintendo systems. I just see it as another game franchise, not a system specific franchise.

Flakster99

Nit pick time.

FFChris said:
The FF series has always been PS exclusive, and it's seen in the market as a PS brand. I think it will do a lot when it comes out.

FFChris said:

Your "the FF series has always been PS exclusive" statement is extremely disingenuous, especially around these parts. You're all over the place.

Moving on.

Eteric Rice

FFChris said:

At the moment, yes they are looking at losing a lot of money with the current userbase, but that isn't to do with the game not selling systems. FF is a big franchise, that's the one I think can bring them up from the gloomy depth of NPD last place, but as I say, by then it might be all too late.

Btw, I see why PS fans are so moody around here. You say one word in favor of the platform and instantly get attacked from all sides. :lol

For many, Final Fantasy pretty much died on the PS consoles.

:(

gkryhewy

FFChris said:
Btw, I see why PS fans are so moody around here. You say one word in favor of the platform and instantly get attacked from all sides with logic and facts. :lol

Yeah, sorry about that. I was just pointing out that FF is much more than a PS franchise, which is as true now as it ever has been.

Gadfly

While flying into a tree he exclaimed "Egad!"
tanod said:
Code:
                               [U]Weekly Sales Rates:[/U]

[U]September[/U]            [U]October[/U]       [U]Monthly Change[/U]
PS2            43k                46k                +6.97%
PS3            24k                30k               +25.00%  
PSP            57k                72k               +26.32% 
360           106k                92k               -13.21%
Wii           100k               130k               +30.00%  
NDS            99k               115k               +16.16%

PS3 and PSP hardware got a significant bump in September, as did the Wii.

Probably the combination of the new SKUs (40GB, PSP slim) and the PS3 price drop. Sony does have some momentum going into the holidays. The actual numbers are low but they are on an upswing.

Also, it's funny that the 30k number shows up for the PS3 sales rate since 30k is what Sony used in that weird PR release.
I see, so nobody bothered to comment on your original post and you saw it necessary to respond to yourself. :lol

First I think you meant "in October" and not "in September".

Second if you were trying to say that just about everything went up except 360, you should consider that September number for 360 was an anomaly influenced by release of Halo 3. But you already knew that, didn't you?

Zen

Banned
Xzbeat said:
The price cut and new model helped Sony increase sales of all consoles including the older PlayStation 2 to 100,000 units in the week ended Nov. 11, spokeswoman Kimberly Otzman said in an e-mail.

And people started jumping on me when I asked if it included included ps2 and psp. *sighs*

That doesn't make any sense though... Because we have weekly numbers for the month of September and October, and they are in equal to, or in excess of 100k, if you combine the PS "Family' hardware, for each respective month.

Code:
September October Monthly Change
PS2 43k 46k +6.97%
PS3 24k 30k +25.00%
PSP 57k 72k +26.32%
360 106k 92k -13.21%
Wii 100k 130k +30.00%
NDS 99k 115k +16.16%

PS Family weekly average for September
PS Family weekly average for October

The only way that would be possible would be if PS combined sales as a whole tanked during November and Sony suddenly decided to make a press release acting like the numebers were good.

The more likely explanation is that Sony PR is more of an enemy to Sony than a friend, which we already know.

Leondexter said:
Code:
	PS2	Wii
Jan	490,000	435,503
Feb	537,904	335,000
Mar	547,000	259,000
Apr	332,000	360,000
May	464,000	338,278
Jun	690,000	381,800
Jul	436,000	425,000
Aug	452,412	403,600
Sep	531,751	501,000
Oct	516,622	519,000

Would you by any chance have the PS2's first year numbers? Per month like you just did would be awesome.

grandjedi6 said:
So many Wii games bombed in October :(

Which games deserved good numbers beside Zack and Wiki?

...? I don't see why the OP says that Wii GHIII beat PS2 GHIII - one SKU, maybe.

Also, awesome @ PH sales. I'm predicting a huge boost in November, probably somewhere in the 300k-400k range, and even higher in December (so maybe finishing the year with 1.4 million sold).

Shepherd said:
No PS3 software in the top 10. Passing the 360 in Software sales will be near impossible this gen.

One thing that makes the 360 so attractive is its software sales.. its remarkable. Sure the wii is doing good with hardware sales but man, the 360 has the software side locked down...

Its software attach rate is simply amazing

GhaleonEB

Firestorm said:
Will we get Canadian results soon?
Heh. I forgot all about Canadian sales.

One of the things I track is how the 360 is tracking compared to the Xbox at the same point in their lifecycles (both launching in November helps). I didn't think posting historical comparisons was okay, but I've seen a lot of it in this thread and I'm not posting hard numbers, so here it is. (Ugly graph, apologies. If this isn't okay let me know.) After the launch holiday, it's amazing how close those two of those lines dance around together. From August on, though, I think the dance is over. They've gone seperate ways. I found it interesting that for all the differences in prices, features and games, the two systems sold about the same for a year and a half.

xbhaskarx

Tideas said:
...AC6 just bombed on the 360? Namco should have definitely released the PS3 version first.
74k is not bad for 2 weeks of Ratchet.

Wait a minute... So AC6 and Ratchet came out in the US on the same day (October 23), and essentially were within a couple thousand units of each other in sales for this period, yet one (a third party multiplatform game) "bombed" and should have been released on the PS3 first, whereas the other (a big exclusive game) did "not bad"?

The other question I have is why are some people so impressed GH3 on the PS2 outsold the 360 version by a few thousand when both sold around 500k?

Speevy

Banned
There are some games that would have done well on the PS2 in its heyday that just aren't going to sell on the Xbox 360.

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
BishopLamont said:
Which games deserved good numbers beside Zack and Wiki?

Deserved? Probably none of them. Still the number of bombed games was high: Manhunt 2, Battalion Wars 2, Donkey Kong Barrel Blast, Zack & Wiki. Pretty much everything that wasn't a big Nintendo game, mini/casual game or Bleach.

Truespeed

Bitches,

I thought we agreed not to discuss the numbers in front of the kids.

Enjoy your small little North American victory for now, but it's really inevitable that the PS3 will dominate worldwide and reign supreme yet again.

wazoo

Truespeed said:
Bitches,

Enjoy your small little North American victory for now, but it's really inevitable that the PS3 will dominate worldwide and reign supreme yet again.

Who knows. I doubt that but what will save the ps3 in the US (and the X360 in Europe) in term of software library is the insane cost of next gen development. That is already a new thing with respect to the past.

wazoo

grandjedi6 said:
Deserved? Probably none of them. Still the number of bombed games was high: Manhunt 2, Battalion Wars 2, Donkey Kong Barrel Blast, Zack & Wiki. Pretty much everything that wasn't a big Nintendo game, mini/casual game or Bleach.

Manhunt 2 is not surprising, BW2 is the sequel of a GC (bombed ?) game, DKBB deserved to sell even lower.

Zack & Wiki is the only surprise here. And this may not be a surprise; the genre died a long time ago. It may worked better in Europe, where adventure p&c games where made longer and exclusively after the genre died in US.

Innotech

Banned
grandjedi6 said:
pretty much everything that wasnt advertised.

Gadfly

While flying into a tree he exclaimed "Egad!"
Truespeed said:
Bitches,

It is quite possible that 360 ends up in third place this generation. But I seriously doubt PS3 (or even Wii) will be "dominant".

I think Microsoft will be more than happy if their market share increased by 10-15 percent from the last generation although they are not going to say that now.

As a gaming console, as long as they have established themselves as a viable platform to develop for (and I believe just based on software sales they have), they would be happy.

But they are also aiming to become the multimedia hub in living room. That’s where Wii is pretty much out of the picture and PS3 is very strong. And –this- market is not necessarily distributed WW the same way the game market is distributed. For example in the market for multimedia hub in living room, Japan might not have the same share that it does in games (just an example, I don’t know if that’s the case).

And no matter which camp you belong to, last November very few people (other than MS PR in public) would give 360 has a chance against PS3.

Gowans

I made the statement earlier in the thread asking did the BBC put this article up as news from Sonys PR without checking facts

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/7095976.stm

I questioned this through the site this is the response

The figures in the article are not contained in the NPD stats as they
came in too late to be counted by NPD.

The figures from Sony are accurate - they are independently audited when
Sony declares its financial statements each quarter.

Many thanks

Darren Waters

GAF?

Gadfly said:
It is quite possible that 360 ends up in third place this generation. But I seriously doubt PS3 (or even Wii) will be "dominant".

I think Microsoft will be more than happy if their market share increased by 10-15 percent from the last generation although they are not going to say that now.

As a gaming console, as long as they have established themselves as a viable platform to develop for (and I believe just based on software sales they have), they would be happy.

But they are also aiming to become the multimedia hub in living room. That’s where Wii is pretty much out of the picture and PS3 is very strong. And –this- market is not necessarily distributed WW the same way the game market is distributed. For example in the market for multimedia hub in living room, Japan might not have the same share that it does in games (just an example, I don’t know if that’s the case).

And no matter which camp you belong to, last November very few people (other than MS PR in public) would give 360 has a chance against PS3.
Wii will be dominant. In the face of a 80M user base vs a 30M one, it's not even a contest, even with the 360's software advantage today.

Multi hub living room thinggies don't really matter, imo. The 360 still is and always will be a gaming console first. Most people don't care. They'll have some success here and there but I highly doubt it will result in any significant advantage for the 360.

Hammer24

Banned
Gowans007 said:
I made the statement earlier in the thread asking did the BBC put this article up as news from Sonys PR without checking facts

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/7095976.stm

I questioned this through the site this is the response

GAF?

It looks like even Sony doesn´t know exactly. In the mean time they issued a contradicting statement, which they contradicted again later on.
NPD November will tell.

GAF consensus: units shipped, PS3 only (no PS2 or PSP added, but not sell through either)

Xekrn

Banned
Truespeed said:
Bitches,

WOW, meltdown already?

:lol :lol

grandjedi6 said:

It's not a bomba if they made a profit relative to the budget, None of those games had a budget bigger then a game say Lair or PGR4 which need big numbers to pull in a profit. Although Zack and Wiki probably costed a bit more than those other Wii games, that I would consider a bomba.

Gowans

mr_bishiuk said:
Well for a start the figures they announced have not yet been audited, the auditors sign the audit report on the quarterly report they dont audit verbal statements.

Hammer24 said:
It looks like even Sony doesn´t know exactly. In the mean time they issued a contradicting statement, which they contradicted again later on.
NPD November will tell.

GAF consensus: units shipped, PS3 only (no PS2 or PSP added, but not sell through either)

So the BBC News's response also inaccurate?

Guess I have a thing about getting the correct facts from a news source.

I'll respond again but can anyone break this down before I do.

Xapati

Innotech said:
pretty much everything that wasnt advertised.

Not so much advertised as didn't have large hype or mainstream appeal. Basically everything (ie. AC6, Ratchet, Battallion Wars etc.) was buried under Guitar Hero, Orange Box and Halo. Hopefully a lot of these titles will see an increase of sales in the next drought.

psycho_snake

I went to WAGs boutique and all I got was a sniff
FFChris said:
They do have quite a few system sellers that will be releaeed. They've got MGS4, Gran Turismo and Final Fantasy. Those are the three games that might help sony climb out of the whole they are in. They're all games that are capable of selling loads and can help move systems. However, there is a problem because by the time these games are released, it might be too late to make any impact. A lot of people who were deciding between a PS3 and an Xbox360 will have bought a 360 because the 360 has a lot of top quality games, whilst the PS3's best games are coming out next year onwards. Price is obviously the other ffactor in thier decision to buy a 360 over a PS3.

Nolan.

psycho_snake said:
They do have quite a few system sellers that will be releaeed. They've got MGS4, Gran Turismo and Final Fantasy. Those are the three games that might help sony climb out of the whole they are in. They're all games that are capable of selling loads and can help move systems. However, there is a problem because by the time these games are released, it might be too late to make any impact. A lot of people who were deciding between a PS3 and an Xbox360 will have bought a 360 because the 360 has a lot of top quality games, whilst the PS3's best games are coming out next year onwards. Price is obviously the other ffactor in thier decision to buy a 360 over a PS3.

The other thing is that during that time Sony's waiting for a game with the pull of halo to save them, Ms has already had that. Plus with having that they're also moving closer to discovering another break out hit game of the generation for their platform to set them up for the next generation.

psycho_snake

I went to WAGs boutique and all I got was a sniff
Nolan. said:
The other thing is that during that time Sony's waiting for a game with the pull of halo to save them, Ms has already had that. Plus with having that they're also moving closer to discovering another break out hit game of the generation for their platform to set them up for the next generation.
Exactly. Xbox360 always one step ahead. As soon as PS3 has a couple of big games released, Xbox360 will have twice as many. One of the reasons why thats happened is because of the headstart Xbox 360 had, but its also because its taking too long for big-title games to be released on the PS3.

It doesnt help sony that a couple of their big-title exclusives from last gen are also Xbox games this gen. DMC and especially GTA4 would have been a huge bonus for sony if they were both exclusives, but now both of those games are being released on 360

Salazar

Nolan. said:
Plus with having that they're also moving closer to discovering another break out hit game of the generation for their platform to set them up for the next generation.

It would be intriguing if it (the ka-boom IP) wasn't a gun game.

Nolan.

Salazar said:
It would be intriguing if it (the ka-boom IP) wasn't a gun game.

I would love, love, love it if it was something like Lost Odyssey or Alan wake (You get a gun in alan wake though :() or even banjo, just for the sake of surprise.

Nolan.

titiklabingapat said:
LBP is Sony's best chance, especially if SMG leads the way to the resurrection of the platformers.

It could be. Though looking at how the closest thing to mario for the platform is being treated I doubt it. I would like to be surprised though but I expect Lbp to fall flat, or a hell of a lot short of expectations.

Nolan.

titiklabingapat said:
What do you mean?

Ratchet and clank I thought had a lot of hype/critical acclaim going close to release. I expected that to be the next game to do some good numbers, but it didn't. So as it stands it makes me a little bit skeptical of what will and when but one I don't think will do it is Lbp.

Top Bottom