• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for September 2007

AstroLad said:
If you convert the systems in terms of DOLLARS SPENT (hint: companies care about DOLLARS), 360 beat the Wii by a FUCKTON of units. Close to double the units. Love the wiifitter damage control though. :lol
Don't forget to subtract how much MS loses on each console. Oh and subtract the insanely huge marketing budget for Halo 3 as well. MS already added all the numbers, why do you think they had to sell Bungie? :lol

_Angelus_

Banned
xaosslug said:
GO, GO HEAVENLY SWORD!

Aside from its frame rate the game is awesome. Its a fucking travesty that the sales are so low. The public needs their heads slapped. :(

(EDIT)...then again how many PS3 owners are there in North America to start with?
Maybe 3,000,000? This game should have sold atleast 400-500,000

I'm glad to see the 360 topple the Wii this month. The system with the best library should always have the best sales, damnit.

itsgreen

itsgreen said:
Look at years past for those months.

last year:

november 550k+
december 1100k

with a little imagination, the lower price, better software collection, halo 3, all other fall AAA titles, I think we shall see 2 million units sold in 2 months for 360.

Y2Kev said:
Kinda strange. Even though there aren't a ton of PS3 owners, those that exist really aren't buying games.
I've talked about this before. It does seem very odd that there only two million sellers worldwide for the system at this point. I think X360 had closer to ten at the same point in its lifespan (userbase worldwide). PS3 owners just don't buy many games, I guess.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Wow, that's a lot o' Halos.

LukeSmith said:

:lol

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
goldenpp72 said:
People downplaying the 360s success are pathetic, it is very likely the 360 will continue to sell amazingly well throughout the year, halo 3 won't outright die in october.

There will be a lot of Halo 3s under the Christmas trees and Hannuckah menorah's that's for damn sure. :D

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
I honestly can't understand it. How can the Wii keep selling like this? What the hell are people buying it for? What the hell? It took a 3.3 million megaton bomb to the face and came out smiling basically saying "Ok, you tried really hard this month, I'll let you squeeze by. Good shot."

This month tells me it's not even going to be close this holiday season. The gap between Wii/DS to 360 to PS3 is going to be laughably bad.

clashfan

MS and Nintendo had a great month, props to them. I can't help but feel the ps3 poor performance is not good for the industry...

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
AltogetherAndrews said:
I gave HL2 and Ep1 to a dude that uses the "DF" crap? :/

Sorry my Master, it won't ever happen again.

Actually, it was the first time I ever used that term I think =P. The Halo NPD got to me :lol .

Talamius

Kintaro said:
I honestly can't understand it. How can the Wii keep selling like this? What the hell are people buying it for? What the hell? It took a 3.3 million megaton bomb to the face and came out smiling basically saying "Ok, you tried really hard this month, I'll let you squeeze by. Good shot."

This month tells me it's not even going to be close this holiday season. The gap between Wii/DS to 360 to PS3 is going to be laughably bad.

IF Nintendo can meet demand. Big, huge, enormous if.

GenericPseudonym said:
You can argue Halo 3 hasn't been a huge system seller, but that's because its September. November and Decmber, the Christmas shopping season, will show just how powerful Halo 3 is at moving systems.

I think that was their plan all along.

Actually, looking at the software ssles compared to the hardware sales of the 360, Reggie was right. Only around 8% (Rough math here!) or so of Halo 3's sales were from new hardware owners, the remaining 92% of sales came from people who already owned the console!

Considering the fact that there is no shortage of 360 consoles to go around, the 360's H/W sales should be higher really (Though I reckon quite a few more new owners did jump in to get Halo 3 by picking up 2nd hand 360s, but we'll never know whether this is true or not...)

Mithos Yggdrasill said:
Fanboysh, but not wrong. Numbers are facts: 3.3 millions and 530k X360 ? 2.7 millions already had the console.

Pretty much

No one can really say how much of an impact Halo 3 has on 360 sales until we get a few more NPD results though.

drohne

hyperbolically metafictive
Y2Kev said:
HS sales...well, at least it charted.

Kinda strange. Even though there aren't a ton of PS3 owners, those that exist really aren't buying games.

TRETTON WAS RIGHT

ps3 owners who didn't buy hs suck

maybe they're waiting for the wii port or something

Gaborn

clashfan said:
MS and Nintendo had a great month, props to them. I can't help but feel the ps3 poor performance is not good for the industry...

You're right, it's not "good" it's GREAT because this makes it more likely month by month that the next generation will be CHEAPER than 600 damn dollars.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
MightyHedgehog said:
I've talked about this before. It does seem very odd that there only two million sellers worldwide for the system at this point. I think X360 had closer to ten at the same point in its lifespan (userbase worldwide). PS3 owners just don't buy many games, I guess.

I can't even imagine why. I mean, there hasn't been a lot to buy up to this point, but HS is the first real tentpole release and it's a pretty good game with a nice advertising budget and solid reviews.

You'd have to think the more expensive system price effect would eventually subside, but such is not the case. At least not so far.

Grecco

Kintaro said:
I honestly can't understand it. How can the Wii keep selling like this? What the hell are people buying it for? What the hell?.

Its a fad lawl. Thank goodness Microsoft will now win 07

DSN2K

great month for MS, still its frightening Nintendo are only 27K behind after MS like doubled their numbers. :O

studio810 said:
Wow at these numbers, how the fuck is Wii selling 500K+ when it didn't even have any releases? Mario and Smash are going to be insane.
The Wii is selling to people who aren't really interested in buying any games afterwards, they are buying it for Wii Sports!

Nuclear Muffin said:
Actually, looking at the software ssles compared to the hardware sales of the 360, Reggie was right. Only around 8% (Rough math here!) or so of Halo 3's sales were from new hardware owners, the remaining 92% of sales came from people who already owned the console!

Considering the fact that there is no shortage of 360 consoles to go around, the 360's H/W sales should be higher really (Though I reckon quite a few more new owners did jump in to get Halo 3 by picking up 2nd hand 360s, but we'll never know whether this is true or not...)

The average customer will buy around Chrsitmas, not in September.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
Talamius said:
IF Nintendo can meet demand. Big, huge, enormous if.
they likely have stocks for the holidays, but it probably won't be enough. my personal prediction for the rest of the year:

Oct07 Wii by a bit
Nov07 if nintendo is massively constrained, close probably by around this month. could go either way. if nintendo has supply, wii will win by a little bit less than Oct07.
Dec07 If Nintendo has a shitlod of reserve it could be close, otherwise 360.

Regardless, the winner of 07 is Wii by a fuckton landslide, unless you gents forgot the first 8 months of the year.

Lefty42o

Banned
Kintaro said:

casue its cheap and kid friendly.

its the only next gen console my wife plays and we are planning on getting a couple more for the kids. at 250.00 its much easier to buy than when you get above 300.00 for a console.

just the nature of it. plus anyone who plays games has to have it for zelda alone lol

Xisiqomelir

CreatureX3 said:
Yup. Wii is unstoppable. There will be no other game on Xbox 360 as big as Halo 3 (until Halo 4), and Wii sales were not affected at all.

So can we start predicting how big the 360 drop will be for October? :lol

I can give you historical context. It'll be a different console though.

Xbox monthly NPD

'03:
Nov 490000
Dec 1122000

'04:
Jan 192000
Feb 204000
Mar 198445
Nov 708000 <--------Halo 2
Dec 1044000

'05:
Jan 242375
Feb 212000
Mar 227000

Jamesfrom818 said:
Pretty much

No one can really say how much of an impact Halo 3 has on 360 sales until we get a few more NPD results though.

No, I think we can pretty much say that for this month Halo 3 had a pretty significant impact on 360 sales. What did 360 sell last month... half that?

When a system sells 250k more over the previous month because of one game - that is significant.

Kosma

Banned
I really doubt Sony can turn the PS3 around in the US to become anything more then last gens Xbox/GC there.

Japan...who knows. It's doing GC there too.

At least Sony still has Europe.

Considering all of this the PS3 will end up like the N64.

shpankey

not an idiot
Great 360 numbers.

Halo sold 3.3 million? GOOD GOD!

wow at sony too, just getting totally dominated by all of the competition.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
Well, we have Nintendo saying they will have roughly double the stock this holiday- which would put November-December stock at 2.2 million ish? I could see Wii and 360 in a tight race if that's the case.

Gaborn

Loudninja said:
Now people see why they needed to drop the price by any means? :lol

Do you think a price drop for the PS3, even to $400 will make it sell 500k a month as the Wii just managed? If not then what does it really matter?

Geezer

Broken water pistol loaded with piss
Kintaro said:
That's just crazy. Wii took 360's biggest nuke and came away with barely a bruise.
On top of that, the Wii is supply constrained and the 360 is readily available.

I'm a PS3 fan, so I'll be leaving the thread now. 119.4K YEAH BABY:lol
UNTIL NOVEMBER NPD!

Nuclear Muffin said:
(Though I reckon quite a few more new owners did jump in to get Halo 3 by picking up 2nd hand 360s, but we'll never know whether this is true or not...)

Who in their right mind would buy a second hand 360?

Y2Kev said:
I can't even imagine why. I mean, there hasn't been a lot to buy up to this point, but HS is the first real tentpole release and it's a pretty good game with a nice advertising budget and solid reviews.

You'd have to think the more expensive system price effect would eventually subside, but such is not the case. At least not so far.
I dunno. I think PS3 saw bigger, higher visibility releases than X360 in the same period. Whatever the case, software sales on the system absolutely suck compared to the hardware numbers.

Top Bottom