• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for September 2015 [Up2: Nintendo Numbers]

NateDrake

LOL, I was just in the "Back To The Future predicted 9/11" thread and this freaked me out.

TBnUBJ3.gif

Ooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooh... nevermind haha :p

I said Mario Kart...lol
Me and my reading comp fail xP. Ah but even so....unless they port MK8 to NX and NX is actually successful I think GT7 can outsell it pretty decently WW. MK8 doesn't have the benefit of the Wii like MK7 did.

heidern

PS4 will be down this holiday despite a price cut?

The price cut is modest so it is possible. The people that wanted COD/AC likely already bought the console in year 1 and 2 and you also had Destiny giving momentum into the holiday season last year. There's not much new to drive hardware sales this year on the software side. Well at least not in terms of major releases. There is a solid library of new non-blockbuster games and the library of games can drive hardware sales better than new releases. Could go either way.

MS I think will definitely be down because last year they were very aggressive on pricing and I don't think Halo will be enough to counteract that this year. I know there are some expectations over Star Wars and Black Ops but we'll see.

Fdkn

It is interesting to see Xbone sales consistently higher when it comes to Destiny. Yeah I know hardware bundles account for some but does it really surpass xbone total sales? I wonder if Activision will ever spill the beans.

Sony confirmed TTK Bundles+ PS4 TTK were higher than XB1 TTK

Loakum

Banned
It's Konami's damn dault why Metal Gear Solid V TPP didn't sell more in September! For starters they made the damn console bundle only for PAL regions (Major fuck up)! Secondly they made their collector's edition ultra-rare! Lastly, they behaved like major dicks throughout the process of the game! Don't get me started on what they did..or I should say DIDN'T do on the game itself!

[/end rant]

Ryng_tolu

Banned
Me and my reading comp fail xP. Ah but even so....unless they port MK8 to NX and NX is actually successful I think GT7 can outsell it pretty decently WW. MK8 doesn't have the benefit of the Wii like MK7 did.

Like i said, i think Mario Kart 8 worldwide should end at 8,000,000. (ship+digital)
How much do you think will sell Gran Turismo, 10 million? Yeah, should happen, but will be close imo.

That said, we are in a NPD thread, and we talk about USA sales. In the US, Mario Kart will beat Gran Turismo.

The price cut is modest so it is possible. The people that wanted COD/AC likely already bought the console in year 1 and 2 and you also had Destiny giving momentum into the holiday season last year. There's not much new to drive hardware sales this year on the software side. Well at least not in terms of major releases. There is a solid library of new non-blockbuster games and the library of games can drive hardware sales better than new releases. Could go either way.

MS I think will definitely be down because last year they were very aggressive on pricing and I don't think Halo will be enough to counteract that this year. I know there are some expectations over Star Wars and Black Ops but we'll see.

Platform rank for COD last year:
Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare (360, XBO, PS4, PS3, PC)

There is still pretty sizable audience left on last gen if X360 version manages to be the best selling SKU.

I'm going to have to completely disagree in regards to PS4. It is $50 cheaper with Battlefront bundles on the cusp of the Star Wars movie coming shortly. CoD is going to be CoD and naturally spur a huge amount of sales in hardware and software. With all the PS4 has going for it this holiday compared to last year, I would be shocked if it is down over last year.

The X1 may be down because of the massive spike from the holiday cut. It will be really tough to match or exceed those sales.

Welfare

Nope, still waiting for those sweet pies. Also, I'm just wondering where Zhuge got that ~550K for both consoles figure from. It would be nice since he revealed the split if he really got info for those numbers.

In the Venturebeat article it mentioned that combined PS4+XB1 sales surpass the sales of the PS3+360 in the same time frame by 40%.

allan-bh

Nope, still waiting for those sweet pies. Also, I'm just wondering where Zhuge got that ~550K for both consoles figure from. It would be nice since he revealed the split if he really got info for those numbers.

Probably whit this:

-"After 23 months on the market, combined PS4 and Xbox One sales are 40 percent higher than the combined 23 month totals for PS3 and 360,” said Callahan.

But since we don't have exact numbers for all months, this math can be somehow off.

Apt101

I think it's pretty solid for a spin off that only had one week of sales. It will probably have some legs into the holidays. Plus the game sold amazingly in Japan so it is a success regardless.

Great numbers for Mario Maker!

I'm guessing it (Animal Crossing) didn't cost a lot to develop either.

Loris146

Probably whit this:

-"After 23 months on the market, combined PS4 and Xbox One sales are 40 percent higher than the combined 23 month totals for PS3 and 360,” said Callahan.

But since we don't have exact numbers for all months, this math can be somehow off.

I think he used this quote :

“September 2015 hardware sales dropped by 23 percent due to a difficult comparison to the strong sales in September 2014

But maybe you are right :)

fernoca

On the topic of Lego Dimensions, Skylanders and Infinity 3.0...

-Infinity 3.0 was out Aug.30, so the sales are from the entire period (Aug.30 - Oct.3). It also has a few sales and deals at launch and then mid September for the rekease of the Classic SW.

-Skylanders was out on Sept.20 and Lego on Sept.27. So game's not charting in the Top 10 is not surprising, since one was out fir two weeks but usyally is a slow burner, while Lego had less than a week of sales.

It under-performed big time. It's one of Nintendo's strongest IP's. It's bad.

It doesn't deserve to sell. This game is an overpriced, trimmed down version of the Animal Crossing experience. It's a blatant cash grab, and I am glad to see that the United States is not eating this up like Japan.

125,000 is still too many sales, IMO.

This was a cheap title to develop, so Nintendo made an absolute killing from this game due to the Japanese sales.

Animal Crossing: New Leaf is a fantastic game, and I still play it. I refuse to buy HHD out of principle.

Please don't support this game.

heidern

Platform rank for COD last year:
Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare (360, XBO, PS4, PS3, PC)

There is still pretty sizable audience left on last gen if X360 version manages to be the best selling SKU.

Fair enough but there's been what? 4M hardware sales this year so far with another say 3M likely over the next 3 months even if things don't go too well. I assume a chunk of that is COD/AC fans. Obviously with a much better library and a price cut it has a shot at exceeding last year, perhaps significantly but could go either way. It'll be interesting to see what happens.

I have no faith in Marvel putting together actual non-shovelware software for consoles. That being said, some of their mobile offerings have been pretty decent. It's pretty obvious they are only in it for the money, (psychotically more so than others) and investing in proper console content requires a lot of effort and time and I doubt Marvel/Disney are bothered given how successful they are in other mediums. Crossing my fingers though.

I would assume that they have unannounced external partners for precisely that reason - that Disney doesn't make console games anymore, aside from Infinity.

They won't be publishing or funding these games themselves, presumably.

rhandino

Banned
How much New Leaf sold during it's first month?I'm asking because I keep seeing people saying that HHD bombed when the game:

1) Probably was cheap to make.
2) It's a spin-off that removes almost every element except well the home designing aspect.
3) It's actually more expensive than New Leaf.

On a more positive note, it's great that Super Mario Maker did well. It looks like a really fun game based on the gameplay videos I watched.

It even helped sell a good amount of Wii Us.

Ryng_tolu

Banned
Hey!
Just noted this!
Looks like Wii (2008) outsold PS4+XB1 (2015) again, and by a huge margin. What a beast. Didn't expect that, not this month.

We know XB1 and PS4 sold around ~550k, Wii was 667,000 in September NPD 2008. :O

Javin98

Banned
Hey!
Just noted this!
Looks like Wii (2008) outsold PS4+XB1 (2015) again, and by a huge margin. What a beast. Didn't expect that, not this month.

We know XB1 and PS4 sold around ~550k, Wii was 667,000 in September NPD 2008. :O
Not too surprising, the Wii was a monster that we'll never see again in this industry. Had sales not dropped off so soon, it would have exceeded even the mighty PS2 in sales.

Not too surprising, the Wii was a monster that we'll never see again in this industry. Had sales not dropped off so soon, it would have exceeded even the mighty PS2 in sales.

It was a monster fad, the numbers died off for that reason, its not even close to ps2 numbers. the wii brand is now irrelevant.

MBS

Banned
Playstation seems to be selling on autopilot. This is extraordinary, and the holiday season is right around the corner.

Top Bottom