• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NYT - $63 million, 12k seat high school football stadium approved in McKinney, Texas

Status
Not open for further replies.
http://www.nytimes.com/2016/05/12/sports/high-school-football-stadium-texas-63-million.html

The love of high school football in Texas is hard to quantify. But to get an idea, have a look at the price tag on one its newest temples.

Voters in McKinney, Tex., have given the go ahead to build a nearly $63 million high school football stadium after months of contentious debate in the suburban city north of Dallas.

“Down south, football is a really big deal, and playoff football is a really big deal,” said Jennifer Gray, the chairwoman of Vote for McKinney’s Future, a pro-stadium group.

The 12,000-seat facility and an attached events center would be just the latest in a growing list of supersized high school stadiums in Texas.

The McKinney project has been frequently compared to the $60 million high school stadium in nearby Allen, also north of Dallas. With seats for 18,000 people, the Allen stadium has nearly the same capacity as Madison Square Garden. Another school stadium under construction in Katy, outside Houston, will have 12,000 seats at a projected cost of more than $62 million.

Opponents of the McKinney stadium, which would be used by the city’s three high schools, have accused district leaders of engaging in a sort of arms race of football stadiums.

“We‘re kind of like the poor boys on the block,” said Mike Giles, a leader of Grassroots McKinney, which has opposed the plan. “They look down and they see Allen. Allen has a really nice stadium.”

The McKinney school district superintendent, Rick McDaniel, and his spokesman could not be reached for comment on Tuesday.

Ms. Gray, who noted that she didn’t care “a thing in the world about football,” said she was persuaded that the stadium would spur an economic boon by attracting regional football tournaments and other events. “Thousands and thousands of people coming into our city and spending their money here in our city,” she said.

The plan was polarizing for many McKinney residents and led to the creation of rival political action committees. In debates and online comment threads, opponents argued that it represented a misplaced priority on sports over academics. Some mentioned concerns about football-related concussions.

Supporters have acknowledged that the old stadium, the 7,000-seat Ron Poe Stadium built in 1962, has provided more than enough room to accommodate fans, even if the parking lot is too small.

But many residents felt that McKinney, with a growing population of about 160,000 people, needed a stadium to match its ambitions as destination city. In pushing the project, district officials projected that the number of high schools there could triple in the coming decades.

In a vote on May 7, nearly two-thirds of McKinney residents endorsed a $220 million school bond measure that included plans for the stadium, along with a number of renovations and other projects.

“It’s something our community will look at with great pride when they come down Highway 121,” Mr. McDaniel, the superintendent, said in March, according to The Dallas Morning News. “Regardless from where you’re coming from, you’ll see the stadium. And that speaks volumes.”

The district plans to have the stadium ready to host the first kickoff in 2017.

I grew up playing sports in high school but I still think that this is ridiculous. I'm curious as to what their music, performing arts and what their library looks like.

kirblar

Ms. Gray, who noted that she didn’t care “a thing in the world about football,” said she was persuaded that the stadium would spur an economic boon by attracting regional football tournaments and other events. “Thousands and thousands of people coming into our city and spending their money here in our city,” she said.
..,and they said the wealth would trickle down.gif

Thousands of people coming in everyday to a city for a fucking high school football tournament, who then spend tons of money on tourism! Sounds like a plan!

Is the city even built for tourism? That's something to be considered when you do stupid shit like this.

Timbuktu

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/05/12/sports/high-school-football-stadium-texas-63-million.html

I grew up playing sports in high school but I still think that this is ridiculous. I'm curious as to what their music, performing arts and what their library looks like.

Saw this documentary about this school in Massillon, Ohio called 'Go Tigers!' that is similar. Quite strange that the reality is even more extreme than Friday Night Lights, all Buddy Garrity wanted in that was a Jumbotron.

Kaladin

If you don't live in Texas or Georgia, you won't get it. High School football is king in those states, often bigger than college football.

Kaladin

The last time our local stadium was renovated was in 2004. Then it cost $6.5 million to renovate an 11,200 seat stadium.

To be fair, this is probably a slightly better use of funds than Texas school districts' usual allocation for "crossing out evolution and scrawling 'THEORY' in the margins of every textbook." What a colossal waste of funding that could be used to actually educate future generations. "Instead of teaching them, what if we built an enormous monument where we could have them give each other permanent brain damage for our amusement?"

The stadium at my alma mater, UCF is 45k seats and built in 2007 for a D1 football team and the second largest university in the country. Cost around $50 million. And did not use tuition dollars/tax money.

If you don't live in Texas or Georgia, you won't get it. High School football is king in those states, often bigger than college football.

That's a crazy amount of money though. A lot of that money could of been used for other programs. I mean what else can you do though since its already voted on.

Aurongel

Knew it was Texas before the thread even finished loading, there was another story similar to this one that's actually referenced in the article: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eagle_Stadium_(Allen,_Texas)

Damn stadium was built so hastily that they had to close it down and call in an independent company to reseal the concrete supports.

The last time I went to a high school football game in TX, I literally sat among a crowd of people my age with my sister (her bf was a lineman). I was nearly deaf by the time the third quarter was done due to the chants of "FUCK THOSE N_____S!!" over and over again by the home team's crowd.

Never again, never again. I played football for 11 years but the degree to which it's admired down here will forever be a mystery to me.

Wasn't there an article that showed that building these stadiums don't ever bring in the money they keep telling people it does?

I feel like there was a John Oliver video on this, I might be conflating with something else though.

Wasn't there an article that showed that building these stadiums don't ever bring in the money they keep telling people it does?

I feel like there was a John Oliver video on this, I might be conflating with something else though.

Yes i think it was Florida . It ultimately hurt the economy rather than helped it. Local costs skyrocketed from what i remember

devilhawk

Looking around the McKinney ISD site, it really comes down to the district having a ton of money. The library, performing art center, the gym, the school, are all nice as hell.

Good for them. It just sucks that other schools don't have the same opportunities and tax base. I don't think we should prevent schools from going all out with amenities, but we do need to keep all other schools at a higher minimum level then they are now.

Applesauce

Boom! Bitch-slapped!
HS football in Texas is a huge deal, it is scary sometimes. That movie Varsity Blues is a fairly accurate portrayal of how obsessed people are with it in small towns.

Jarrod38

Looking around the McKinney ISD site, it really comes down to the district having a ton of money. The library, performing art center, the gym, the school, are all nice as hell.

Good for them. It just sucks that other schools don't have the same opportunities and tax base. I don't think we should prevent schools from going all out with amenities, but we do need to keep all other schools at a higher minimum level then they are now.

And yet they cant afford a better website.

Shortisghted politician said:

Yo hey, I bet those people visiting from 3 towns over for a football tournament are totally going to spend $63 million in McKinney, Texas. Solid investment, lady.

The Argus

HS football in Texas is a huge deal, it is scary sometimes. That movie Varsity Blues is a fairly accurate portrayal of how obsessed people are with it in small towns.

Friday Night Lights is so much better. I also kinda liked the show. But yeah, small town football in rural America is just about the biggest event there is (Texas and some Southern States do it best through).

Veins

Unconfirmed Member
Is the quality of the sport actually worthwhile for 12000 people to watch? They are only in highschool.

tim.mbp

Eagle_Stadium.jpg
Allen's stadium looks kind of insane for a high school.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom