• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NYT: Kushner Omitted Meeting With Russians on Security Clearance Forms

Status
Not open for further replies.
https://www.nytimes.com/2017/04/06/us/politics/jared-kushner-russians-security-clearance.html

When Jared Kushner, President Trump’s son-in-law and senior adviser, sought the top-secret security clearance that would give him access to some of the nation’s most closely guarded secrets, he was required to disclose all encounters with foreign government officials over the last seven years.

But Mr. Kushner did not mention dozens of contacts with foreign leaders or officials in recent months. They include a December meeting with the Russian ambassador, Sergey I. Kislyak, and one with the head of a Russian state-owned bank, Vnesheconombank, arranged at Mr. Kislyak’s behest.

Mr. Kushner’s aides said he was compiling that material and would share it when the F.B.I. interviewed him. For now, they said, he has an interim security clearance.

In a statement, Ms. Gorelick said that after learning of the error, Mr. Kushner told the F.B.I.: “During the presidential campaign and transition period, I served as a point-of-contact for foreign officials trying to reach the president-elect. I had numerous contacts with foreign officials in this capacity. … I would be happy to provide additional information about these contacts.” No names were disclosed in that correspondence, but Ms. Gorelick said that Mr. Kushner was in the process of compiling them.

This is not just bureaucratic paperwork. The form warns that “withholding, misrepresenting, or falsifying information” could result in loss of access to classified information, denial of eligibility for a sensitive job and even prosecution; knowingly falsifying or concealing material facts is a federal felony that may result in fines or up to five years imprisonment.

Clearance holders are often allowed to amend disclosure forms and avoid punishment if omissions are deemed oversights rather than deliberate falsifications, and prosecutions are rare.

neorej

ERMYGERD!
Imagine a Democratic president with half of these transgressions. Republicans and right wing media would've been fitting at the mouth.

Dali

He notified the fbi the next day with a vague notice that included no names, dates, or the nature of the discussions. Was still granted interim clearance. Why?

Lord Fagan

He notified the fbi the next day with a,vague notice and no names, dates, or the nature of the discussions. Was still granted interim clearance. Why?

Easier to keep tabs on him? A lot of the FBI's behavior the last six months has been particularly cryptic, that's for sure.

Zeus Molecules

illegal immigrants are stealing our air
Didn't Trump just promote him to a position where he needed more security clearances..... I mean god damn was there anyone involved in this administration that wasn't making plans with the Russians......

I know the answer is no but its to the point its absurd

Ohhhh yeaaaah the Russiaaannnsss 🤔

I just so happened to forget the Russians guys, my bad. Obviously an innocent oversight.

Quick, someone get Chomsky, Greenwald or one of GAF's arm-chair revolutionary force out here to tell us what hysterical McCarthy-ite Red Baiters we are for caring about what was probably just a friendly chat about chess and vodka.

hipbabboom

Huh? What did I say? Did I screw up again? :(
There are so many coincidences in this administration. I'm starting to get worried...

Russian? Ain't nobody talking about Russian. Bitch you in a hurry? Why you people always interested in Russia.

24K7F5.gif

Wow so many republicans have such a bad memory if they keep forgetting things. They definitely need a note pad to track things down. Don't worry I made one for them.

Code:
1. Buy milk
2. Meet with Russians
3. Remove rights from minorities
4. Get some beef for barbecue

Should easy to follow for them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom