• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Obama expected to voice support for medical marijuana tonight on CNN

Status
Not open for further replies.
http://thinkprogress.org/health/2015/04/19/3648671/obama-medical-marijuana-support/
President Barack Obama is expected to express his support for medical marijuana, and a drug policy that deviates from incarceration, in a CNN documentary to air on Sunday night.

In the television special, “Weeds 3”, CNN chief medical correspondent Sanjay Gupta will explore the politics of medical marijuana research. In an interview with Obama, Gupta probes the President about a bipartisan Senate bill that, if passed, will change marijuana’s classification from Schedule I — the most stringent category for regulating drugs — to Schedule II.

“You know, I think I’d have to take a look at the details, but I’m on record as saying that not only do I think carefully prescribed medical use of marijuana may in fact be appropriate and we should follow the science as opposed to ideology on this issue, but I’m also on record as saying that the more we treat some of these issues related to drug abuse from a public health model and not just from an incarceration model, the better off we’re going to be,” Obama reportedly says during his interview with Gupta.

Nearly two dozen states and the District of Columbia have legalized medical marijuana and residents of 13 states can use extracts of the plant to treat certain medical conditions.

Since California legalized medical marijuana in the mid-1990s, public opinion about the issue has become more positive, with a recent survey showing that more than 70 percent of Americans favor medical marijuana. Support for legalization has increased among voters in the swing states of Ohio, Pennsylvania, and Florida. Some lawmakers in Illinois want to expand the disease list for the state’s medical marijuana program to include anxiety, migraines, insomnia, and post-traumatic stress disorder. Congressional lawmakers are also mulling over policy that would allow doctors to prescribe medical marijuana to war veterans suffering from post-traumatic stress disorder. Earlier this month, the National Institute of Drug Abuse, a government drug abuse and addiction organization, acknowledged research that showed medical marijuana’s potential to treat tumors.

However, some hurdles remain for those in the medical marijuana business. For example, dispensaries in California are fighting the efforts of U.S. Attorney Melinda Haag, an employee of Obama’s Department of Justice, to shut down their operations, in a case that is still winding its way through the courts. Rather than arrest them, Haag has tried to seize properties. Across the United States, marijuana’s legal status has caused a dearth of federally regulated studies about the plant, ultimately impeding scientists’ efforts to understand its potential as a healing agent. Earlier this year, the American Academy of Pediatrics urged the government to downgrade marijuana to a Schedule II drug, which would allow for more research into its potential uses to treat sick children with seizures.

Despite the lack of policy changes, Obama has gradually expressed his support for a marijuana policy that’s rooted in science and doesn’t unfairly punish users. In February, he voiced his approval for the removal of criminal penalties for nonviolent drug offenders. In the past, the president predicted that more states would follow Washington and Colorado’s lead in legalizing recreational marijuana and said that though marijuana is legal on the federal level, the Justice Department will not interfere in state medical marijuana programs.

But Tom Angell, chairman of the Marijuana Majority, a marijuana advocacy organization, told the Daily Caller News Foundation that endorsing medical marijuana won’t suffice, saying that President Obama should use his executive powers to reschedule marijuana and protect dispensaries.

“If the president means what he says about following science, then there’s no question he should support legislation to move marijuana out of Schedule I, a category that’s supposed to be reserved for substances with no medical value,” Angell said. “And, since it’s so hard to get anything through Congress these days, he should even do more than that. He should exercise his power under the Controlled Substances Act to administratively reschedule marijuana right away. The only thing stopping him from doing that is his own reluctance to follow through on his stated principle of letting science dictate policy.”
Long way to go to legalization but its getting there.
More at link

braves01

Banned
obama_smoking.png

Salsa

people don't support medical marijuana?

I thought we were at a point where he might support it just cause it's great

get with the world

/uruguay resident

The Lamp

get with the world

/uruguay resident

Some conservative republicans don't think what they grew up understanding was a dangerous drug should be legalized in any capacity. They also look down on pot users.

They're of course completely riddled with logical fallacies in believing this, but some do. Trust me.

sn00zer

Good, I have a family member who has epilepsy and this is the only way to keep their seizures under control without taking drugs that wipe them out emotionally and physically.

Chittagong

Gold Member
For this and his other achievements, he will be remembered as the best president America has had in a very, very long time

IISANDERII

Good, but the only opinion that should matter on medical marijuana should be that of your medical care provider.
But so many doctors are uneducated about it and are afraid of being stigmatized. Presidential endorsement would go a long in lifting the shroud.

Syriel

get with the world

/uruguay resident

Personal opinion is that I support any form that doesn't require smoking to be used and is prescribed by a doctor. Marijuana smoke is just as annoying as cigarette smoke, and those who light up usually have little to no consideration for their neighbors, especially when you're talking rental apartments.

Hale-XF11

FUCK your baby steps. Drop it from scheduling altogether or gtfo with all the bullshit talk.

So the bill in question moves it from schedule 1 to schedule 2. OH BOY, now it can be considered as lethal as meth and cocaine, ololololol. What a joke. The only thing that will do is pave the way for big pharma to take over with their patents, allowing them to essentially hold this plant hostage on the federal level. FUCK. THAT.

Sorry, I'm just real tired of this so-called progress. I'm too old for this shit.

CDX

Medical? Not just Recreational?

Well baby steps it is then. I guess it's better than no progress at all

Raistlin

get with the world

/uruguay resident
Conflicting interests. It is currently listed as a Schedule I drug, which means it has no medicinal usage, and carries certain sentencing, etc baggage with it.

I suspect most people are in support of it for medical usage ... in a vacuum. The problem is that those with a vested interest in the prison-industrial complex are obviously torn. Removing it from Schedule I, or worse (in their minds) decriminalizing it entirely, will have massive implications. Basically it's bad for business.

it's disgusting

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
FUCK your baby steps. Drop it from scheduling altogether or gtfo with all the bullshit talk.

So the bill in question moves it from schedule 1 to schedule 2. OH BOY, now it can be considered as lethal as meth and cocaine, ololololol. What a joke. The only thing that will do is pave the way for big pharma to take over with their patents, allowing them to essentially hold this plant hostage on the federal level. FUCK. THAT.

Sorry, I'm just real tired of this so-called progress. I'm too old for this shit.

Maybe you should direct your anger at congress...

Governing, how does it work.

Would you rather the President come out immediately for complete and absolute reform and destroy the political capital and the party, thereby giving the opposition troglodytes a chance to demagogue and define the issue on their terms or would you rather he take small but meaningful steps in the road down to full reform?

Governing, how does it work.

Would you rather the President come out immediately for complete and absolute reform and destroy the political capital and the party, thereby giving the opposition troglodytes a chance to demagogue and define the issue on their terms or would you rather he take small but meaningful steps in the road down to full reform?

but I want my weed now

Really brave to take this position as states are moving beyond medical marijuana and into legalized recreational use. The courage this president has shown to fight from the back lines like this ...

He doesnt deserve any credit at all. This happened without him. It started with Bush and continued without him. This is just Obama riding this movements coattails and taking credit he doesnt deserve. Oh wow he didnt call in the Feds? Big fucking deal, Bush also largely ignored the MM dispensaries and had backed off completely by the end of his term.

If we would have waited for national politicians to do something about this the shit would have still been illegal a hundred years from now. On this issue Obama has been completely fucking useless and this is him trying to take credit.

Culex

Banned
You would have to be downright evil to NOT support medical marijuana.

It's proven to help those with cancer/on chemo and various other debilitating diseases where you lost your appetite.

Really brave to take this position as states are moving beyond medical marijuana and into legalized recreational use. The courage this president has shown to fight from the back lines like this ...

He doesnt deserve any credit at all. This happened without him. It started with Bush and continued without him. This is just Obama riding this movements coattails and taking credit he doesnt deserve. Oh wow he didnt call in the Feds? Big fucking deal, Bush also largely ignored the MM dispensaries and had backed off completely by the end of his term.

If we would have waited for national politicians to do something about this the shit would have still been illegal a hundred years from now. On this issue Obama has been completely fucking useless and this is him trying to take credit.

Truth.

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
For this and his other achievements, he will be remembered as the best president America has had in a very, very long time

The bar isn't set very high there but it's true, he's done much more than anyone could reasonably expect. I wonder how things would be different if Hillary won the primary in 2008 instead. He did get a lot of help from public support taking huge swings left on issues like marijuana and gay marriage during his time in office.

Carnby

Agreed. Gov Cuomo already pushed hard for medical marijuana nearly a year ago. Obama supports it? Big whoop.

I think Obama's reticence has largely stemmed from not wanting America to associate legalized drugs with a black president.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom