• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Obama expected to voice support for medical marijuana tonight on CNN

Status
Not open for further replies.

zychi

Banned
Too many lobbyists will be effected by this. Marijuana and in extension hemp will hurt too many manufacturers of plastic and similar related items.

Corporate America is paying Congress to slow down the legalization. Congress doesn't actually care.

Lego Boss

I think Obama's reticence has largely stemmed from not wanting America to associate legalized drugs with a black president.

Do you reckon he's blazed that shit? Or did he and 'not inhale'?

Hope the UK come round to this, but it's not likely to happen here in my lifetime (l'm 40). Too conservative and stuck in the drugs are bad mmmmmkay mentality.

Too many lobbyists will be effected by this. Marijuana and in extension hemp will hurt too many manufacturers of plastic and similar related items.

Corporate America is paying Congress to slow down the legalization. Congress doesn't actually care.

Plastic?

Raistlin

This Gallup poll says it might be

Seeing as it's saying completely legal in the Gallup poll, while the OP's article is saying over 70% of Americans favor medical marijuana.
Since when has general consensus and politically safe always gone hand in hand? You're disregarding special interests, and the ones involved in this are very powerful and rich.

While I can see this gaining traction, the bigger question is going to be decriminalization for people that don't have a prescription. Will that change? That's where the money is.

What will be most interesting is if it does change. There's no way the interests involved will simply give up the kind of money we're talking about. But if they see this as turning into a major wedge issue, they might ... but only if they see another way to keep bodies in cells. It's a shell game to them. They don't care why people are in there - it's not like marijuana was ever some ideological crusade - it was just an easy target to reach their end.

So that begs the question, what is their fallback? They'll need some other laws or enforcement policies to change in order to keep the shelves stocked. If this goes forward, keep on the look out for some new excuse to incarcerate high numbers of individuals, particularly minorities. That's all this was ever about ... at least in modern times.

zychi

Banned
Just one example
hemp-chart.jpg

impact

Banned
I think Obama's reticence has largely stemmed from not wanting America to associate legalized drugs with a black president.

Majority of Americans would associate him with being the first smart president in decades if he did that.

I mean if you ignore the stubborn, ignorant 75+ year olds the majority of the country sees the benefits of marijuana.

Just one example
hemp-chart.jpg

Is this a credible source?: http://www.world-mysteries.com/marijuana1.htm

"Did you know, it is estimated that hemp has approximately 25,000 uses? From food, paint and fuel to clothing and construction materials, hemp is used. There are even hemp fibres in your Red Rose® and Lipton® tea bags. And several cars made today contain hemp.
The oldest relic of human industry is a piece of hemp fabric (canvas) found in ancient Mesopotamia dating back to approximately 8000 B.C. The oldest surviving piece of paper was made over 2000 years ago in China and was also made from hemp fibre. In 2500 B.C. the pharaohs used hemp in the construction of the great pyramids.
Hemp was so important in England in the 16th century that King Henry VIII passed a law in 1553 which fined farmers who failed to grow at least one quarter acre of hemp for every 60 acres of arable land they owned. There was even a time in history for over 200 years when you could pay your taxes in America with hemp. In 1850 there were more than 8,300 hemp farms in the United States.
Every 3.6 seconds someone in the world dies of hunger. Hemp seeds are the most nutritious and economical solution to end world hunger. With an 80 percent concentration of "good fats" our bodies need for good health maintenance and protein with all eight amino acids plus optimum dietary fibre, hemp truly is a "perfect balance" food source. "

Is this really true? Because I had heard that american companies need to go to Canada to even produce clothes made from hemp. Which makes no fucking sense. Why would you do that to a compound which is not psychoactive? Hemp clothing can't hurt you. It's so much better than cotton. I bought some fight shorts made from hemp and they rock! ( http://www.dsgear.com/collections/fightwear/products/hfs )

I heard some guy telling me about some dude who owned all the cotton factories and started making ads about how dangerous smoking pot was. I thought it was just a conspiracy. Sounds insane.

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
It's extremely surprising it took this long when support has stuck around 75% for medical marijuana since at least 1999 when Clinton was president. I really can't believe medical marijuana hasn't become a nationwide thing by now, and it's unsettling to think about how policy is so different from public support on this issue.

http://www.gallup.com/poll/1657/illegal-drugs.aspx

aZHQ9Mx.png

Is this really true? Because I had heard that american companies need to go to Canada to even produce clothes made from hemp. Which makes no fucking sense. Why would you do that to a compound which is not psychoactive? Hemp clothing can't hurt you. It's so much better than cotton. I bought some fight shorts made from hemp and they rock! ( http://www.dsgear.com/collections/fi...r/products/hfs )

I heard some guy telling me about some dude who owned all the cotton factories and started making ads about how dangerous smoking pot was. I thought it was just a conspiracy. Sounds insane.

US Government used to encourage farmers to grow hemp during WW2: https://youtu.be/xt5KhTsXfmc?t=22s

It became illegal in the 50s I think? I'm not too big on the marijuana conspiracy train.

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
“You know, I think I’d have to take a look at the details, but I’m on record as saying that not only do I think carefully prescribed medical use of marijuana may in fact be appropriate and we should follow the science as opposed to ideology on this issue, but I’m also on record as saying that the more we treat some of these issues related to drug abuse from a public health model and not just from an incarceration model, the better off we’re going to be,” Obama reportedly says during his interview with Gupta.

The public health aspect is understated. The courts aren't giving people with disablitys employment protections because of the federal position on drugs. Apparently it's not a "reasonable accommodation" to have employers go against the federal government's laws and recommendations, but it'd otherwise clearly be a reasonable accommodation for them to accept marijuana use for medical purposes without that argument.

A federal rescheduling would really help with the public's health without having to worry about their employment status.

Honestly I think you're right and it's why this has taken so long. The states have made their move, public opinion is firmly in support of it...now there's very little backlash and of course he doesn't have to get re-elected again.

Honestly I think you're right and it's why this has taken so long. The states have made their move, public opinion is firmly in support of it...now there's very little backlash and of course he doesn't have to get re-elected again.
People also have to realize Obama has to be aware of treaty obligations. Weed is unable to be legalized in most countries because of their signing on to drug control treaties (Its why its only legal in Uruguay and other places have only pretty much stopes prosecuting use). The US ironically is likely to lead the world on weed legalization because of federalism which takes international pressure from them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom