• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Occupy Wall St - Occupy Everywhere, Occupy Together!

Status
Not open for further replies.

DominoKid

Consider me ignorant on the subject (because all I know is that cities are being occupied) but what's the actual goal for this?

Is it there a goal? or is it just protesting for the sake of protesting (which i really dont have a problem w/)?

Serious question -- does anybody think that enacting actual change will require bloodshed/violence, as seen elsewhere -- or can it still be done through a thoroughly corrupted political and economic system?

DominoKid said:
Consider me ignorant on the subject (because all I know is that cities are being occupied) but what's the actual goal for this?

I think the problem is there are so many things wrong that it's hard to focus on one, and the other thing is that the protest can really only expand by bringing in a lot of people with varied complaints and such.

timetokill said:
Serious question -- does anybody think that enacting actual change will require bloodshed/violence, as seen elsewhere -- or can it still be done through a thoroughly corrupted political and economic system?
Require it? No. Provoke it? Yes.

Measley

x Power Pad Death Stomp x said:
Both parties have their boogeymen for leaving to support 3rd parties, "Perot voters gave us Clinton!" and "Nader supporters gave us W. Bush!".

Then transform the Democratic party into a more liberal party. Do what the tea party did and get more ideological people into office.

The point is, organized political action is a better move than an unorganized protest.

The majority of Americans don't even vote, and I'm willing to bet that members of this protest are part of that majority.

Deku said:
One is CLEARLY better than the other, even if you count for the fact that Clinton benefited from the 'peace dividend' of the Soviet collapse and the happenstance of presiding over the Internet bubble.

That's not the conversation, we were talking about 3rd parties, and I've seen the "Perot gave us Clinton" shit on twitter just today with Repubs not happy with Romney/Perry.

x Power Pad Death Stomp x said:
Both parties have their boogeymen for leaving to support 3rd parties, "Perot voters gave us Clinton!" and "Nader supporters gave us W. Bush!".
Which is why we need electoral reform. Seriously, the "vote for one" method is so flawed, it gives us barely any information about voter preferences. Just give us a preference ballot at least, and then we can debate about the method to decide the winner after that.

alstein said:
Do what the Teabaggers did and co-opt one of the existing parties then. We saw that in 2008 in the CT primary, which is why Lieberman's an independent.

The republican party co-opted the Tea Party, not the other way around. Moreover, if the problem is corporate money, joining the corporate backed democratic party would be a poor strategy.

Measley said:
I'm well aware of the history of third parties. That doesn't mean that a third party can't win a congressional election in the U.S. ESPECIALLY if voters are energized and the campaign organization is run effectively.

That's true, but I don't think a few third party candidates popping up in solidly blue districts is going to change the institutional corruption in Congress. See: Bernie Sanders.

And please stop saying "nearly impossible". Nearly impossible is surviving a mid-air colission over NYC. A third party candidate has a much better chance than that.

Is "effectively impossible" better? A lot of people don't even know that there are unequal obstructions that third party candidates have to face, so I find it important to stress the issue.

ErasureAcer said:
You mean Bush Sr. gave us Perot and Gore gave us Nader.

Party loyalists will never accept this. Nor will they ever accept the fact that Nader voters told pollsters they wouldn't have voted for Gore even if Nader wasn't in the race.

XMonkey

lacks enthusiasm.
El Sloth said:
Better than the way they started out when they had no goals at all.
Not necessarily. If they want as broad support as possible they need to focus their goals and distill the message down. This needs to be less "us vs. the man/corporation" boogeyman and more of a populist airing of grievances. Things like making Wall St. accountable for their financial crimes, increasing the tax burden on millionaires, reducing the influence of money in government, etc. are goals that are more easily embraced by a wide swath of the public than the angsty and vague claims they made in their original manifesto.

I need to find some contact info.

Deku

Banned
kame-sennin said:
Party loyalists will never accept this. Nor will they ever accept the fact that Nader voters told pollsters they wouldn't have voted for Gore even if Nader wasn't in the race.

What %? Gore only needed a few hundred(?) florida voters to switch their votes. You're telling me every single Florida voter would not have voted for Gore.

Such absolutes only exist in totalitarian states where deal leader wins 95% of the vote, to the tee.

Clevinger

XMonkey said:
Not necessarily. If they want as broad support as possible they need to focus their goals and distill the message down. This needs to less "us vs. the man/corporation" boogeyman and more of a populist airing of grievances. Things like making Wall St. accountable for their financial crimes, increasing the tax burden on millionaires, reducing the influence of money in government, etc. are goals that are more easily embraced by a wide swath of the public than the angsty and vague claims they made in their original manifesto.

Agreed. We need a movement like this, but the actual execution of this one is piss poor. You're never going to get broad support if you have even political enthusiasts scratching their heads as to what it's actually about.

Wazzim

Banned
Clevinger said:
Agreed. We need a movement like this, but the actual execution of this one is piss poor. You're never going to get broad support if you have even political enthusiasts scratching their heads as to what it's actually about.
It isn't easy to organize such a movement, especially when the police is constantly searching for 'the leader'.
Anyway, good thread. The last one was pretty
filled with corporate apologists.

Kisaya

What I dislike from this is that I got major traffic today because of the arrests
And I had to go to a birthday party :(

Other than that, a lot of people don't really know what's going on with these protests, even I'm a little unclear. This new OT helps a lot though, so I'm catching up with what I can. Thanks!

Shaheed79

dabbled in the jelly
I always wondered how many gaffers were under the direct employ of our nations wonderful government.

This topic should make a nice measuring stick.

So many posters poking fun at people who decided to get off their ass and exercise their Constitutional rights as an American Citizen.

Apparently sitting on your ass chastising those who actually give a damn about corruption in your government is the new e-cool.

Just because you are too afraid to stand up for your rights doesn't mean you have to ridicule those who are more than brave enough to fight for the things you yourself should be smart enough to fight for.

I'm just ecstatic that more and more potential voters are realizing that it was both the democrats and the republicans who are responsible for the state of our economy and country as a whole. Here are two of my favorite quotes from one of the founding fathers.

"I believe that banking institutions are more dangerous to our liberties than standing armies. Already they have raised up a moneyed aristocracy that has set the government at defiance. The issuing power should be taken from the banks and restored to the people, to whom it properly belongs."

Thomas Jefferson

"God forbid we should ever be twenty years without such a rebellion. The people cannot be all, and always, well informed. The part which is wrong will be discontented, in proportion to the importance of the facts they misconceive. If they remain quiet under such misconceptions, it is lethargy, the forerunner of death to the public liberty.... And what country can preserve its liberties, if its rulers are not warned from time to time, that this people preserve the spirit of resistance? Let them take arms. The remedy is to set them right as to the facts, pardon and pacify them. What signify a few lives lost in a century or two? The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time, with the blood of patriots and tyrants. It is its natural manure."

Thomas Jefferson

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
Shaheed79 said:
I always wondered how many gaffers were under the direct employ of our nations wonderful government.

So many posters poking fun at people who decided to get off their ass and exercise their Constitutional rights as an American Citizen.

Apparently sitting on your ass chastising those who actually give a damn about corruption in your government is the new e-cool.

Just because you are too afraid to stand up for your rights doesn't mean you have to ridicule those who are more than brave enough to fight for the things you yourself should be smart enough to fight for.

I'm just ecstatic that more and more potential voters are realizing that it was both the democrats and the republicans who are responsible for the state of our economy and country as a whole. Here are two of my favorite quotes from one of the founding fathers.

I am a "cold blooded" Capitalist and I wholeheartedly agree with this. People just criticeze those who are out there trying to fix certain issues, and some idiots just call them "no lifers, no future, losers, be responsible, etc." Really? They feel like they are doing something and seeing the recent course of action... Hey! They are actually doing something! Even though small, at the end its a change.

And what are some of the dimwits here doing? Making fun of them. Really sad to be honest.

Deku

Banned
Shaheed79 said:

Not sure what you're going on about. Jefferson faced a considerable opponent in Alexander Hamilton who favoured strong central government to his 'states rights' approach, and believed in a nation debt, much to the Jefferson's chagrin.

They also sparred over whether America should be a commercial power with a central bank to Jefferson's idea of an agrarian state.

This debate has been going on since the founding and it got a lot nastier than a few people on the internet poo-pooing a bunch of hippies.

onken

Shaheed79 said:

A country can't be at liberty unless it has a violent revolution every 20 years? Uh yeah, ok.

Shaheed79

dabbled in the jelly
Relix said:
I am a "cold blooded" Capitalist and I wholeheartedly agree with this. People just criticeze those who are out there trying to fix certain issues, and some idiots just call them "no lifers, no future, losers, be responsible, etc." Really? They feel like they are doing something and seeing the recent course of action... Hey! They are actually doing something! Even though small, at the end its a change.

And what are some of the dimwits here doing? Making fun of them. Really sad to be honest.
Right on Relix.

Neogaf has become a sad sad sight for anyone who considers themselves a Patriot.

When a revolution began and overcame the tyranny of countries like Tunisia and Egypt, most Gafer's cheered and praised the efforts of those citizens.

Not America though. Heaven forbid we get rid of at least a little bit of the corruption that has plagued this country for many decades.

Instead of criticizing everything OT do that you deem as "wrong", "stupid" or "pointless", why don't you take your lazy asses out there, and give them a little bit of guidance on how to do these protests "correctly".

At the very least you can take the time to volunteer that information through their email or other channels. Give suggestions that are not mockingly or condescending. Help them to do better what you are apparently too afraid to do. But don't make fun of them because they have more courage in their hearts than you do.

It is 100x easier to be a jackass and give snarky comments online than it is to actually get off your butt and do something about how terrible your country has become for its citizens (besides vote once every four years).

I expect a lot of "I'm too busy living MY life. You know... actually working for a living (and being a douche-bag) to get caught up in this mess." type replies. Yes, we know. Don't want to rock the boat and risk losing the lifestyle to which you have become so accustomed.

VALIS

Man, I'm getting tired of reading people bellowing "what's the message?!" here, there and everywhere.

If you believe that corporations and the wealthy 1% own and control our political process and their rights to make obscene amounts of money are far more protected by the politicians and lawmakers in this country than the rights of a citizen to receive adequate health care, education and employment, how do you boil this down to one single message? If you can reduce that to the bumper sticker or soundbite-sized blurb everyone apparently needs to stave off their bewilderment, please do.

Also, some of the dumber members of the media and the blogosphere (ugh) have been comparing Occupy Wall St. with the Tea Party and saying Occupy Wall St. is muddled and ineffective in comparison because it doesn't have a clear message. But what is the Tea Party's clear message? Smaller government? Yeah, sure it is, except if it happens to involve gay marriage, or military action, or gays in the military, or immigration, or abortion, or so on, and so on. Then they want a big fat meddling sorta government. Their message is no more succinct or direct than Occupy Wall St's.

VALIS said:
Man, I'm getting tired of reading people bellowing "what's the message?!" here, there and everywhere.

If you believe that corporations and the wealthy 1% own and control our political process and their rights to make obscene amounts of money are far more protected by the politicians and lawmakers in this country than the rights of a citizen to receive adequate health care, education and employment, how do you boil this down to one single message? If you can reduce that to the bumper sticker or soundbite-sized blurb everyone apparently needs to stave off their bewilderment, please do.

Also, some of the dumber members of the media and the blogosphere (ugh) have been comparing Occupy Wall St. with the Tea Party and saying Occupy Wall St. is muddled and ineffective in comparison because it doesn't have a clear message. But what is the Tea Party's clear message? Smaller government? Yeah, sure it is, except if it happens to involve gay marriage, or military action, or gays in the military, or immigration, or abortion, or so on, and so on. Then they want a big fat meddling sorta government. Their message is no more succinct or direct than Occupy Wall St's.

Exactly... very odd times to see "liberal" gaf against these peaceful protests.

VALIS

timetokill said:

The latter isn't impossible, but the former is far more likely to bring about change. As fired up as I get about these things, I would not want to see a single person harmed. But I also firmly believe that those with all the power will not give some up until they're afraid. Whether that fear is legal, financial or physical, it is the motivator. Again, that's fear, not actual violence.

interesting
@NYTimes Joseph Greenberg

Love this quote from Joseph Greenberg's NY Times article:

"So even as the members of Occupy Wall Street seem unorganized and, at times, uninformed, their continued presence creates a vexing problem for the Police Department."

Those that are taking a stand against rampant corruption are dismissed by this ass as "uninformed" police "problems."

Such transparent biased reporting illustrates the depths of the problem, and why we have fallen so far so fast. Frauds supporting frauds to strangle everyone else.

There wasn't a cohesive message in Spain. There isn't one in Greece, or in Israel. What we're seeing here is just the street protests in other countries in this country. People are just generally discontented and they see the same pervasive governmental corruption that the Spanish, Greeks, and Israelis saw. The whole Arab Spring started out as just a general opposition to the current (usually despotic) government in power. This is no different.

Mgoblue201

Won't stop picking the right nation
I agree with Matthew Yglesias that if they want to make a difference, then they should protest outside out of the Federal Reserves with a coherent monetary message (such as targeting higher inflation or cutting interests to banks on reserves).
Shaheed79 said:

Thomas Jefferson is the last person you want to quote in this instance. I know that his quotes sound trendy, but they're not. His agrarian policies and distrust of manufacturing and a central bank were backwards, even at the beginning of the 19th century. And what he means by banking is nothing like the high finance and complex financial instruments of today.

So whats the truth regarding if police led the protestors?

This video isn't conclusive but it does seem odd to see police walking ahead of protestors making little effort to stop them before they reach the bridge

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vz67fULXc-0&amp

Also, why did the arrests happen on the bridge? Why not let them off the bridge to allow flow of traffic? It seemed like the protestors were indeed trapped for about 2 hours.

XMonkey

lacks enthusiasm.
Unknown Soldier said:
There wasn't a cohesive message in Spain. There isn't one in Greece, or in Israel. What we're seeing here is just the street protests in other countries in this country. People are just generally discontented and they see the same pervasive governmental corruption that the Spanish, Greeks, and Israelis saw. The whole Arab Spring started out as just a general opposition to the current (usually despotic) government in power. This is no different.
Because you think there doesn't need to be a cohesive message (or messages) for a protest to work, doesn't mean that such a protest wouldn't be more effective if they had such a message. I also take issue with your last point. This is very different from the Arab Spring. The US is not a dictatorship and many of our citizens live under the impression that we've already achieved a functional democracy full of freedom and rights. This is a whole world apart from those in Egypt and the Middle East who, in many cases, had not even basic rights or freedoms. The problems in our country are not so readily apparent on the surface.

edit - I should be a little more clear on this last part since I think you have a case in comparing the current state of the protests to that of the Arab Spring, in that they're relatively unfocused. But, the situation itself is very different.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
i gotta say this is pretty interesting.

weren't a lot of people saying no one would show up in the first place? much less that it would actually last this long and expand

Feep

Banned
There was a MASSIVE protest going on in downtown Los Angeles tonight. Like, tons of tents, people were there for the long haul. There were tons of Anonymous folks there. Their signs were all about the economy.

Didn't really know what to make it. Seemed kind of useless at 11 PM, but, whatever.

For reference, *I* went downtown for a Japanese Pajama Rave party.

Someone needs to start an "occupy NYPD" protest.

I dont get it. They arrest 500 people for "blocking traffic" on the bridge?

You know what 500 people in line is called? A traffic jam. Maybe NYPD should arrest drivers on the bridge every day for "blocking traffic".

I had to deal with a broken traffic signal today. It was "blocking traffic". Why wasnt the taxi that was double parked arrested for "blocking traffic"?

Why is "cruising for fast food" worthy of the bridge but "protesting injustice" arrestable?

Sounds like shit straight out of NK.

You need a permit to protest? You can't inconvenience anyone when protesting? GTFO. The founding fathers would shit bricks if they knew the country had turned into this.

jamesinclair said:

You know what 500 people in line is called? A traffic jam. Maybe NYPD should arrest drivers on the bridge every day for "blocking traffic".

I had to deal with a broken traffic signal today. It was "blocking traffic". Why wasnt the taxi that was double parked arrested for "blocking traffic"?

Why is "cruising for fast food" worthy of the bridge but "protesting injustice" arrestable?

You need a permit to protest? You can't inconvenience anyone when protesting? GTFO. The founding fathers would shit bricks if they knew the country had turned into this.

for real! Come on GAF, this thread is slowing down and it saddens me

VALIS

Karma Kramer said:
for real! Come on GAF, this thread is slowing down and it saddens me

Well, it is 5:30 in the morning east coast US. Only reason I'm up is I'm a hopeless night owl.

remnant

Banned
jamesinclair said:

Large protests that close down parts of the city does serious economic harm to the businesses affected. Not everyone in new York is a part of this, and just because you are a "protestor" doesn't give you the right to fuck them over.

Don't be stupid. This entire protest is built on the logic that it is meant to disruptive and chaotic. Chances are you will be arrested. There is no comparison between this and being shot and killed in the streets or sent to a gulag in NK.

Flying_Phoenix said:
Really? I mean REALLY? You're going to reach that far?
I am reaching as far as what you said.

Flying_Phoenix said:
and therefore the argument that government must give loans to specific solar companies to maintain the industry is weak at best, or flat out a lie.

Flying_Phoenix said:
Exactly. Which is why Solayndra was such a tiny part of the green energy fund.
They got 500 million dollars. The largest sum by far to any one green tech company and it was solely due to their manufacturing ability. Manufacturing ability mind you that was so risky the fed had already predicted the company would fail. Do research please.

Flying_Phoenix said:
Being angry? Yes.

Making it a colossal front page scandal in nearly every magazine? No.
So how much money can the fed lose before it becomes a story. A billion? 2 billion?

remnant said:
Large protests that close down parts of the city does serious economic harm to the businesses affected. Not everyone in new York is a part of this, and just because you are a "protestor" doesn't give you the right to fuck them over.

Don't be stupid. This entire protest is built on the logic that it is meant to disruptive and chaotic. Chances are you will be arrested. There is no comparison between this and being shot and killed in the streets or sent to a gulag in NK.

I am reaching as far as what you said.

1) It's saturday.

2) No shit a protest is disruptive. Thats what the fuck a protest is.

3) Its not the only bridge. Traffic on the brooklyn bridge? Take the tunnel. Or ride the fucking subway, or are those people being "disrupted" to good for mass transit?

Maybe the egyptian army should have gone into the square, because those protesters were disrupting traffic.

If the protestors are vandalizing property and setting fires....arrest them.

But arresting someone for "blocking traffic" or "disrupting business" is the same thing as making protests illegal.

How do you propose 10,000 people march without "disrupting traffic"?

Remember those civil right marches in the 1960s? Remember how they arrested the black people because they were breaking rules like "disrupting traffic" and such?

Good times.

If there is a SINGLE point of access to an area, then yes, blocking it is an issue. But Manhattan has dozens of bridges and tunnels. Drive an extra mile and take the next one.

remnant said:

I disagree, from the video I posted and because the police blockaded the bridge for 2 hours so they could arrest peaceful protestors, it is fascism. Just because it isn't obviously apparent fascism like the Nazis or NK, doesn't mean the comparison is stupid.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6gLDzDklTRU&feature=related

remnant said:
They got 500 million dollars. The largest sum by far to any one green tech company and it was solely due to their manufacturing ability. Manufacturing ability mind you that was so risky the fed had already predicted the company would fail. Do research please.

So how much money can the fed lose before it becomes a story. A billion? 2 billion?

How about the 2.7 billion dollars spent by the military on a computer that ended up not working at all... where are the headline stories about that?

http://www.extremetech.com/extreme/...on-on-a-battlefield-computer-that-doesnt-work

remnant

Banned
jamesinclair said:
1) It's saturday.

2) No shit a protest is disruptive. Thats what the fuck a protest is.

3) Its not the only bridge. Traffic on the brooklyn bridge? Take the tunnel. Or ride the fucking subway, or are those people being "disrupted" to good for mass transit?

Maybe the egyptian army should have gone into the square, because those protesters were disrupting traffic.

If the protestors are vandalizing property and setting fires....arrest them.

But arresting someone for "blocking traffic" or "disrupting business" is the same thing as making protests illegal.

How do you propose 10,000 people march without "disrupting traffic"?

Remember those civil right marches in the 1960s? Remember how they arrested the black people because they were breaking rules like "disrupting traffic" and such?

Good times.

If there is a SINGLE point of access to an area, then yes, blocking it is an issue. But Manhattan has dozens of bridges and tunnels. Drive an extra mile and take the next one.
1.) So? People work on saturdays.
2.) And the Police's job is to maintain some order for the citizens who don't want to disrupted by you.
3.) It's not all about you. Those people pay the same taxes everyone else does. If they want to take the bridge, they should be allowed to take the fucking bridge.

and for the last time you are not an Egyptian rebel. No matter how badly you want to believe you are.

if 10k people want to disrupt traffic, go right the fuck ahead. Just don't act surprised when you are arrested. Also don't act like you are fighting for freedom in North Korea.

Slavik81

timetokill said:
Had he said every 200 years, would you be more likely to agree?
Canada says 'no'. You tried to drag us into your last bloody revolution, but we've gotten along just fine without one. We'll skip this one too.

While the American Terror unfolds, we'd prefer if you just left us out of this. Call us when you've strangled the last congressman by the entrails of the last banker.

Not that that will ever happen, because even if people get really angry, half the country has the exact opposite ideas as to what the solutions should be. It wouldn't be a revolution; it would be a civil war.

VALIS said:

Campaign contribution limits. The movement's motto was "One person. One dollar. One vote." IIRC.

They mentioned it once, but I haven't seen it again. Too bad, too, as it's a good idea. Maybe not one dollar, but a low contribution limit. Any individual contribution limit would also implicitly prevent corporate contributions ( for the same reasons that corporations can't vote).

remnant said:
1.) So? People work on saturdays.
2.) And the Police's job is to maintain some order for the citizens who don't want to disrupted by you.
3.) It's not all about you. Those people pay the same taxes everyone else does. If they want to take the bridge, they should be allowed to take the fucking bridge.

and for the last time you are not an Egyptian rebel. No matter how badly you want to believe you are.

if 10k people want to disrupt traffic, go right the fuck ahead. Just don't act surprised when you are arrested. Also don't act like you are fighting for freedom in North Korea.

You know who else pays taxes? Those protestors that were arrested. Well aside from I guess that 13 or something little girl. Do you not see the illogic in conducting arrests on the bridge? Shouldn't you be just as upset at the NYPD for handling the situation so poorly and letting (or leading) the protestors walk on the main road of the brooklyn bridge?

remnant

Banned
Karma Kramer said:
How about the 2.7 billion dollars spent by the military on a computer that ended up not working at all... where are the headline stories about that?

http://www.extremetech.com/extreme/...on-on-a-battlefield-computer-that-doesnt-work
Not comparable at all. The military explicitly states they have a research budget. We expect to lose some money there. The DCGS-A project has been long running before the war in Afghanistan, and was intended to be a fully military counterpart to Palantir. Not funded in any way by private sector institutions.

The DoE loans were not loans to see if Solyndra products would work. It was to give them a cash infusion to expand manufacturing of a product that they hoped would beat the market.

remnant

Banned
Karma Kramer said:
You know who else pays taxes? Those protestors that were arrested. Well aside from I guess that 13 or something little girl. Do you not see the illogic in conducting arrests on the bridge? Shouldn't you be just as upset at the NYPD for handling the situation so poorly and letting (or leading) the protestors walk on the main road of the brooklyn bridge?
So paying taxes exempt you from a crime? Did the NYPD force the protestors onto the bridge like cattle, or did they jut march there like they own the city. Something tells me the latter.

remnant said:
Not comparable at all. The military explicitly states they have a research budget. We expect to lose some money there. The DCGS-A project has been long running before the war in Afghanistan, and was intended to be a fully military counterpart to Palantir. Not funded in any way by private sector institutions.

The DoE loans were not loans to see if Solyndra products would work. It was to give them a cash infusion to expand manufacturing of a product that they hoped would beat the market.

Seriously man... so because the military explicitly states they have a research budget it is then fair to lose money there? When I look at other developed nations and see them investing in new forms of energy and transportation and then I look at our military budget, I want to cry

defense_spending1.jpg

I saw Rosanne banging the drum on keiser report yesterday. She was quite convincing till she announced she'd get rid of all currencies and replace them with a bartering system.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom