• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

October 04' Play magazine scores

Kumiko Nikaido

Vindication...sweet.
Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex graces the October 2004 issue of Play magazine.

The scores:

Multi

* Second Sight: A-
* Mega Man X: Command Mission: C+
* Crash Twinsanty: B+
* Star Wars: Battlefront: B
* Terminator 3: The Redemption: C
* Street Racing Syndicate: B
* The Red Star: B+
* Robotech Invasion: C+
* Shellshock: Nam 67': D
* Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles 2: Battle Nexus: B-
* Burnout 3: Takedown: B
* Def Jam: Fight for N.Y.: C+
* Nascar 2005: Chase for the Cup: A-
* Tiger Woods PGA Tour 2005: A
* NBA Live 2005: A

PlayStation 2

* Gungrave: Overdose: B
* Shadow Hearts: Covenant: B+
* Forgotten Realms: Demon Stone: B+
* Shin Megami Tensei: Nocturne: B
* Armored Core: Nexus: B
* Sly 2: Band of Thieves: A-
* Katamari Damacy: B
* Dog's Life: C-
* Echo Night: Beyond: C-
* Under the Skin: C+
* Hot Shots Golf Fore!: B

Xbox

* Otogi 2: Immortal Warriors: A-
* SVC Chaos: SNK Vs. Capcom: B-
* Galleon: Islands of Mystery: B
* Outlaw Golf 2: B+

GameCube

* Pikmin 2: A-
* WWE: Day of Reckoning: B

Game Boy Advance

* Advance Guardian Heroes: B+
* Mega Man Zero 3: B+

PC

* Doom 3: A-

Musashi Wins!

FLAWLESS VICTOLY!
This magazine confuses me. Based on my own impressions of certain titles, other's impressions, etc. they just...march to their own drum. Of shitty taste for the most part. Still, dig them pretty pictures.

WarPig

Musashi Wins! said:
This magazine confuses me. Based on my own impressions of certain titles, other's impressions, etc. they just...march to their own drum. Of shitty taste for the most part. Still, dig them pretty pictures.

Thank Dave Halverson and Mike Hobbs, respectively.

DFS.

Kiriku

SWEDISH PERFECTION
Kumiko Nikaido said:
* Shin Megami Tensei: Nocturne: B
* Katamari Damacy: B
* Galleon: Islands of Mystery: B

So SMT: Nocturne is as "good" as Galleon? Noooooooo...we're all doomed! :(

Kamille

Doom_Bringer said:
this magazine sucks!

I agree unfortunately. Unfortunate because I payed for a subscription to it thinking it to be the second coming of "Gamefan", or atleast Gamer's Republic. The pics and pages are of superb quality, but the text that goes along w/ those pictures leave a lot to be desired(imo).

I doubt I'll be resubscribing.

WarPig

Gek54 said:
Uhh.....

Edit: Even more signs that they are rednecks.

Except they're not rednecks, is the weird thing. Brady's a screaming games-are-art aesthete, and Dave H is from the Valley. His predilection for motocross games is a fluke. I can't make heads or tails of it.

DFS.

olimario

Banned

* Second Sight: A-
* Pikmin 2: A-

I want my money back. Play sucks.

Speevy said:
They got the Pikmin 2 review right.

What are your problems with the game, exactly? What, in your mind, keeps it from getting an A or an A+?

olimario said:
What are your problems with the game, exactly? What, in your mind, keeps it from getting an A or an A+?

If you think Play was off, take a look at GMR - the reviewer specifically states P2 is not as good as the first one.

olimario

Banned
Crazymoogle said:
If you think Play was off, take a look at GMR - the reviewer specifically states P2 is not as good as the first one.

Ouch. It's hard to imagine anyone preferring the first.

All magazines suck, but at least Play delivers on the pictures. These scores are the least offending that I have seen in a while. Also, if they march to their own drummer, that's even better because I'd rather listen to somebody who's an independent thinker, than some follower trying to sell hyped up games giving out bogus opinions.

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
Good to see Def Jam got a C+, and someone didn't fall into the hype. That game is probably personal taste, though... if you hate rap music (such as me), I'm sure you won't like the game.

A lot of scores make sense, though, in magazine terms... Nocturne is probably too hardcore and not mainstream friendly enough for an A, while Shadow Hearts is slightly more mainstream friendly. Quirky Japanese games will never outscore generic American sports games. The Red Star's score is right on the money, based on what I've played of it, and it seems to me that Shadow Hearts and Nocturne's scores will be similar to mine.

DarienA

The black man everyone at Activision can agree on
Kumiko Nikaido said:
* Street Racing Syndicate: B
* Burnout 3: Takedown: B

Uh no... no... and... NO.

djtiesto said:
Good to see Def Jam got a C+, and someone didn't fall into the hype. That game is probably personal taste, though... if you hate rap music (such as me), I'm sure you won't like the game.

<EA defense measures... engage!>

A review shouldn't be based on personal taste or whether someone likes rap music, it should based on all of the pieces of the game itself. In the setting, does it control well, does the music fit it, how does it look, replayability etc... Who the hell would pick up Def Jam knowing beforehand that they didn't like rap music, which permeates the game top to bottom?

LOL. We have this same coversation anytime someone posts PLAY scores. Their reviews are just off the wall. I'd put them way at the bottome along with PSE2, who would give a platinum 99% to a game like Whiplash.

Here's what I said weeks ago, and based on these scores, it applies today. And I'm sure it will apply tomorrow.

http://forums.gaming-age.com/showthread.php?t=11018

sonycowboy said:
This mag has the absolute worst reviews ever. They're just all over the place and have no consistency.

Their ratings (roll the dice)
-------------------
Great Game = Great
Great Game = Good
Great Game = Bad
Good Game = Great
Good Game = Good
Good Game = Bad
Bad Game = Great
Bad Game = Good
Bad Game = Bad

They have a huge spread for Kingdom under Fire and call it one of the best Xbox games ever, but since they've said that for games that were crap, it's a meaningless statement.

It might be great, but I'll have to see what other reviewers give it.

lordmrw

BlackClouds said:
All magazines suck, but at least Play delivers on the pictures. These scores are the least offending that I have seen in a while. Also, if they march to their own drummer, that's even better because I'd rather listen to somebody who's an independent thinker, than some follower trying to sell hyped up games giving out bogus opinions.

I think most people just can't wrap their heads around the fact that a review is just an opinion , not a collection of what everyone else thinks. If you don't like the review, put the magazine down, shut the fuck up, and just go buy the game.

AssMan

Banned
Wow. SH2 is getting great reviews, and it did get a 10/10 from PSM. What is making this game so great, and should I pick it up over FFX?

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
Well, I've played the original Def Jam, and it was kind of dry... didn't seem like there was too much to it, almost reminded me of the N64 wrestling games. But then again, those were mostly meant to be played multiplayer, and I don't really play multiplayer games anymore.

DarienA said:
<EA defense measures... engage!>

A review shouldn't be based on personal taste or whether someone likes rap music, it should based on all of the pieces of the game itself. In the setting, does it control well, does the music fit it, how does it look, replayability etc... Who the hell would pick up Def Jam knowing beforehand that they didn't like rap music, which permeates the game top to bottom?

As much as I hate dislike EA and (mainstream) rap music, I have to agree with the statement. It really is pointless to rag on a game when it's so focused towards a very specific audience and to bitch just cuz you're not a member, to the point that you're blind towards the game.

lordmrw said:
I think most people just can't wrap their heads around the fact that a review is just an opinion , not a collection of what everyone else thinks. If you don't like the review, put the magazine down, shut the fuck up, and just go buy the game.

Hence why I don't go near that piece of rubbish, and can't understand why anyone would pay good money for the opinions of total idiots.

enjoy bell woods said:
Anyone surprised by these scores didn't read Gamefan 10 years ago.

Indeed.

Do they mention in the review that by purchasing Gungrave, consumers can get a free promotional trial subscription to Play, or are there no conflicts of interest in videogame journalism?

Jumpman Jr. said:

Do they mention in the review that by purchasing Gungrave, consumers can get a free promotional trial subscription to Play, or are there no conflicts of interest in videogame journalism?
I mean, that's a good point and all. But do you think Dave Halverson has ever given a game in the same vein as Gungrave a poor score?

Musashi Wins!

FLAWLESS VICTOLY!
Jumpman Jr. said:

They gave Tombraider an A, so what the fuck did you get from them for buying that thing?

RiZ III

Gungrave got a B?! And you get a free subscription to Play with the purchase of Overdose? Hmm, theres some shady journalism. But then so is most journalism.

WarPig

Grading it on a sliding scale taking the fifteen-dollar price into account, a B is about right for GGOD.

DFS.

jiggle

AssMan said:
Wow. SH2 is getting great reviews, and it did get a 10/10 from PSM. What is making this game so great, and should I pick it up over FFX?

Pre-order now to get SH1 free!

FFX is a great game and only 19 bucks. So you can't go wrong either way:)

Top Bottom