• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ODDWORLD: NEW 'N' TASTY |OT| Save 99 Mudokons as The Stitch-Lipped One. Follow me!

Killer

Banned
I have a personal limit of £15 on digital downloads that I can't remember ever breaking, in fact I rarely buy anything close to that price.

However I think I will make an exception just this once (although it's only a couple of quid difference), they have good reason for wanting to go the distribution route, it's a lot larger in scope than most digital only games and they have built it from the ground up, this interview explains the process of getting it made.
http://metro.co.uk/2014/07/08/oddwo...interview-weve-become-triple-a-indie-4790351/

Assuming they haven't ballsed it up (and it doesn't look/sound like they have) it's worth what they're charging, hell I'd happily pay a lot more for a retail disc if things were different.

After reading that interview, i might pre-order it now. Oddworld universe deserves more games.

Robot Pants

*snip*

Dev Team:
Brett Lewis, Matt Glanville, Martin Akehurst, Thomas Bramall, Laura Dawes, Stephen Dalzell, Colin Stewart, Maya Oruba, Ben Marshall, Johnny Gray, Phil Jones, Craig Spiers, Steven Caslin and Michael Taylor.

PR/Community & Support Team:
Alex Carroll and Wil Bunce-Edwards.

During the project we had 3 departures too, Liam Jones, Peter Memmott, and at the end. Michael left us too.

From me to all of those people above, thank you.

Cheers everyone.

Stewart

Thank you as well! And to everyone that worked on this game. It really looks like you captured the charm of Oddworld perfectly. I am super excited to get to play this game again!

Y0j1mb0

New 'n' Tasty can now be pre-loaded for those who have it pre-ordered. File size is just under 5GB

20140720144708.jpg

Already done, heh. Like the unlock timer it displays.

Rflagg

New 'n' Tasty can now be pre-loaded for those who have it pre-ordered. File size is just under 5GB

Very tempting, but I think I want to hear gaf's thoughts on if they nailed controls first. If the controls are great this game is a no brainier, despite the fact hard mode will have me yelling loud obscenities at my tv.

damn it just saw preorders get a extra level even though I know it won't be that huge this might have changed my mind.

Tizoc

Very tempting, but I think I want to hear gaf's thoughts on if they nailed controls first. If the controls are great this game is a no brainier, despite the fact hard mode will have me yelling loud obscenities at my tv.

damn it just saw preorders get a extra level even though I know it won't be that huge this might have changed my mind.

Just buy it mate. The controls might not be that much of an issue. Heck they might even add in an option for D-Pad to be for movement in a future patch, as they patched Strager's Wrath Vita after some fan suggestions.

Jobbs

Banned
thinking about this game takes me way back to when games were just... different. no one really makes this type of game much anymore.

needless to say, I'll be day 1ing this. This game was a real one of a kind.

Danlord

I manage to catch this on the launch trailer they just released for the game,

SAVE THE 299 - There are 99 Mudokons in Oddyseey and 200 in Exoddus, this surely is a teaser they're working on Abe's Exoddus remake!

and this second image is what flashed really quickly between the above shot...

Notice God Mode is still on the UI there in the top left (partly hidden by the YouTube UI)

I am hyped for this so much, a shame I couldn't pre-load it. Whilst my Internet is very fast I know time will fly really slowly downloading the ~5GB for the game in anticipation to play this (and Don't Starve: Reign of Giants DLC), especially when the store updates in the late afternoon for me.

I Wanna Be The Guy

U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!
thinking about this game takes me way back to when games were just... different. no one really makes this type of game much anymore.

Not really true. There are countless interesting puzzle platformers released on the indie scene these days. Some better than others but there's plenty of puzzle platformers with interesting ideas coming out these days. With that said I suppose there isn't anything quite like Oddworld, but that was true in the PS1 days too so the "anymore" part of your statement still makes it false.

Robot Pants

I manage to catch this on the launch trailer they just released for the game,

SAVE THE 299 - There are 99 Mudokons in Oddyseey and 200 in Exoddus, this surely is a teaser they're working on Abe's Exoddus remake!

and this second image is what flashed really quickly between the above shot...

Notice God Mode is still on the UI there in the top left (partly hidden by the YouTube UI)

I am hyped for this so much, a shame I couldn't pre-load it. Whilst my Internet is very fast I know time will fly really slowly downloading the ~5GB for the game in anticipation to play this (and Don't Starve: Reign of Giants DLC), especially when the store updates in the late afternoon for me.

300 in Exoddus.

Anyhow gonna have to add this trailer to the OP.

Danlord

300 in Exoddus.

Anyhow gonna have to add this trailer to the OP.

Darn, my memory is a bit off with the Oddworld games, it's definitely intentional to have that placement there though, so whilst my maths was off with the count, maybe still plausible?
dont crush my dreams I still believe either way :)

EDIT: There are more screenshots in the blog post here

dc89

Amazing OT. I was a big fan of this game back in the day and I even got my gf into the series, she finished both the Abe games on PSOne.

Robot Pants

Darn, my memory is a bit off with the Oddworld games, it's definitely intentional to have that placement there though, so whilst my maths was off with the count, maybe still plausible?
dont crush my dreams I still believe either way :)

EDIT: There are more screenshots in the blog post here

Oh I want the Exoddus remake more than you know.
Exoddus is probably in my top 3 favorite games of all time :)

Danlord

Hey everyone,
Just wanted to say thanks for the love, as you can imagine we're all incredibly nervous this weekend, the baby we've spent 30 months working on, from initial discussion to release is about to be set out into the world in a few days.

It's been an incredibly difficult, yet rewarding, and also a MASSIVE learning experience for us.

We started with just a 3 person discussion in late 2011, we then filled a LARGE whiteboard (a picture of which was posted online back then, but blurred) with ideas in early 2012. During the next 30 months we expanded up to a Dev team of 14 people working on it.

During the past year Lorne Lanning spent around 3 months actually in the JAW studio here in the UK, helping us to dot the i's and cross the t's and to guide us in certain areas, is input and guidance was invaluable to us during those times.

We are incredibly proud of the game, and this past couple of weeks, especially for me, has been incredibly stressful, getting our baby out the door.

I'd also like to say how incredibly proud of the team I am, they are, in no particular order ...

Dev Team:
Brett Lewis, Matt Glanville, Martin Akehurst, Thomas Bramall, Laura Dawes, Stephen Dalzell, Colin Stewart, Maya Oruba, Ben Marshall, Johnny Gray, Phil Jones, Craig Spiers, Steven Caslin and Michael Taylor.

PR/Community & Support Team:
Alex Carroll and Wil Bunce-Edwards.

During the project we had 3 departures too, Liam Jones, Peter Memmott, and at the end. Michael left us too.

From me to all of those people above, thank you.

Cheers everyone.

Stewart

Hey Stewart, just wanted to thank the team for all your efforts in realising this project to its full potential and that I like exactly how this game was handled in respects to bringing it into a new generation, so thank you all!
I also want to point out Colin as he was a guest speaker at the University of Bradford not long ago and gave an incredible presentation in his work as a developer but also talking a bit about New n Tasty, showing some extra tasty stuff and his Q&A was very helpful for an aspiring developer, so if he reads this then thank you again!

I am really impressed with how this game looks, I understand it wasn't easy to simply go back and "re-do" everything, there are so many considerations taken with the design of the game that must have been hard to figure out when bringing it into the 3D world, but I truly believe this has turned out the best way it possibly can for a project like this, and I hope you make more than 500k units sold to get both Abe's Exoddus remake and the new title (Squeek probably :p ) and I will be there Day 1 with both of them games. I've got a few friends buying them day 1 to help out, JAW/Oddworld deserve it!

Jobbs

Banned
Not really true. There are countless interesting puzzle platformers released on the indie scene these days. Some better than others but there's plenty of puzzle platformers with interesting ideas coming out these days. With that said I suppose there isn't anything quite like Oddworld, but that was true in the PS1 days too so the "anymore" part of your statement still makes it false.

the game takes me back to a different time, I guess, when diverse and strange games, including sidescrolling puzzle platformers set in weird universes, were a part of the retail landscape. I suppose there is every type of game you can imagine being made now, (often, as you say, by indies and small studios) but it's not what you see very often on the shelf at best buy.

Danlord

Is there any update on when the next ports will be released? What's coming next, Steam or Vita?

In response to a similar question about the next platform release - (GoldenHelmet is Stewart Gilray, CEO of Just Add Water if you didn't know)
Not yet, sorry. We want to ensure each version is the best it can be, as soon as we have a date we'll announce it, but we don't want to do that yet until we're sure we can get the best out of each system.

:)

oggob

Trophy list is confirmed to be shared across all 3 versions of the game.

PSN Profiles

Little sad about that, as I would have loved to obtain a Platinum for each platform as they were released.

So what's going to be the difference in graphics between PS4 and Vita/Ps3. I'll be playing it Tuesday on Ps4, but im just really curious.

Stuart444

So what's going to be the difference in graphics between PS4 and Vita/Ps3. I'll be playing it Tuesday on Ps4, but im just really curious.

I'm guessing the main difference will be Framerate/Resolution? Besides that, it probably won't look too much different I'd assume.

Tizoc

I will be buying this.... as soon as I get a PS4 in September.

Buy it now/soon to have the pre-order bonuses. Then when you have your PS4 you can have it start downloading since it'll remain in your transaction/download history.

I recently bought it for the upcoming PS3 and Vita versions. My brother isn't getting a PS4 til 2015 and even now he has over a dozen PS4 games for it thanks to Plus and crossbuy titles.

Tizoc

so wait the Vita version doesn't release on 23rd in Europe? I am confused I was already ready to buy it day 1 on Vita=(

The game is cross-buy, so technically you will get the Vita ver. 'day 1' when it releases as long asyou buy the PS4 ver.

Danlord

I am going to be so jealous with US-GAF, because you guys and girls get to play it a day before me :( What's funny is JAW live less than a 30 minute bus ride away from me too :)

Top Bottom