• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Oddworld: Strangers Wrath HD release date annouced.

G0523

At the very least, Microsoft should've made this game BC with the 360. And have it as an Xbox Original download. It's the least they could do after having Oddworld exclusive to the Xbox, then dropping them like a rock after Munch's Odyssey.

Deadstar

So the pc version comes out on the 27th too? Press release doesn't mention that. I already bought this on steam but I'll buy the hd upgrade.

stuminus3

Blame the 2GB limit on XBLA games
Blame blame blame blame blame. JAW should change their name to Blame. Or make a game called The Blame Game. Funny how Stewart Gilray is savvy enough to know what cloud saving is but is somehow perturbed at the concept of PC gamers wanting options menus or the ability to actually play the games they paid their hard earned money for.

kuYuri

Stewart Gilray of JAW said that one of the reasons it's not on GoD is because you have to launch at minimum $20 on GoD and that they are strongly against a $20+ price point.

wwm0nkey

Blame blame blame blame blame. JAW should change their name to Blame. Or make a game called The Blame Game. Funny how Stewart Gilray is savvy enough to know what cloud saving is but is somehow perturbed at the concept of PC gamers wanting options menus or the ability to actually play the games they paid their hard earned money for.

except the 2GB thing is 100% true.

NinjaBoiX

Nice upgrades. Really looking forward to playing this for the first time.
Oh man, you're in for a treat. Probably one of my favourite games of all time. And in widescreen 720p60 with updated assets and audio? What a proposition. Digital release of the year. Calling it right now.

Eusis

Give me subtitles and I'll jump in ASAP.

Actually, wasn't there something about a Vita version planned? I might actually prefer to hold out for that, not unless they are making cross platform digital releases like PS Minis and this will be among the first.

SpecX

I haven't kept up with this group or game, but I'm surprised they're releasing this on a Sony system after the big stink they put up about the PS2 being too hard to develop for.

I haven't kept up with this group or game, but I'm surprised they're releasing this on a Sony system after the big stink they put up about the PS2 being too hard to develop for.

Well, this is a different systems and that was 10 years ago. Things change.

Carl

Give me subtitles and I'll jump in ASAP.

Actually, wasn't there something about a Vita version planned? I might actually prefer to hold out for that, not unless they are making cross platform digital releases like PS Minis and this will be among the first.

Vita version, aimed for launch, will need to buy different version for Vita.

Stewart Gilray of JAW said that one of the reasons it's not on GoD is because you have to launch at minimum $20 on GoD and that they are strongly against a $20+ price point.

There are 3 reasons we're not on the 360 ...

1. XBLA = that crazy 2GB limit

2. G.O.D. = we don't adhere to their "requirements" for release, all of which have been listed in this thread...

We WANT to release the game on 360, but so far Microsoft have done nothing but cock-block us on this, due to crazy red tape.

As it stands, the original sold less than 500k units on the Xbox, for whatever reasons. That is the BIGGEST item stopping us.

We even said we'd hold the PS3 version back a little for a simultaneous release, they still said no.

What's a company to do?

MMaRsu

2. G.O.D. = we don't adhere to their "requirements" for release, all of which have been listed in this thread...

We WANT to release the game on 360, but so far Microsoft have done nothing but cock-block us on this, due to crazy red tape.

As it stands, the original sold less than 500k units on the Xbox, for whatever reasons. That is the BIGGEST item stopping us.

We even said we'd hold the PS3 version back a little for a simultaneous release, they still said no.

What's a company to do?
Forget ms and their dumb rules.

wwm0nkey

Good HD upgrade. Retains the charm.

Really love how they didn't mess with the aesthetics of the game either. Loved the Halo CEA remake but really wish they didnt screw around with the look of the Forerunner stuff so much.

Yagharek

What's a company to do?

Only 500k? That's tragic. I bought two; one was for a friend.

Shaneus

Sucks that we have to wait for the PC one. I bought it on the (wrong?) impression that within a few months of it being released it was going to have the full models. In fact, I think there was a stage when it was going to get released with said models which was why I bought it. I think.

Will be sitting this one out, waiting for the PC update to hit. Don't see what's taking so damn long.

NinjaBoiX

The update is coming to Windows PC too.
I was referring to their 360 customer base. Those without an OG Xbox or a good enough PC can't play it. And that is truly tragic. Almost as tragic as EA sending it out into the market with zero support. They just threw it out the door and locked it behind them. It's crazy, anyone who knows games must've been able to see how good it was.

Sucks that we have to wait for the PC one. I bought it on the (wrong?) impression that within a few months of it being released it was going to have the full models. In fact, I think there was a stage when it was going to get released with said models which was why I bought it. I think.

Will be sitting this one out, waiting for the PC update to hit. Don't see what's taking so damn long.

We are only a small company of 8 people, there's only so much you can get done in the time dude :)

wwm0nkey

We are only a small company of 8 people, there's only so much you can get done in the time dude :)

Wow, I thought you guys had more than 8 people. Also considering you are only 8 people what you guys have managed with this HD remake is awesome.

(would totally apply to work there if I actually knew anything about programing lol)

kuYuri

What's a company to do?

Ah, I missed some of those posts. Thanks for the clarification.

boutrosinit

Street Fighter IV World Champion
Bare in mind, XBL was DESIRED by the Odd boys. Hell; I was trying to get it on Classic XBox Games on Demand for the guys years back, but we were declined because they were phasing that program out. As for later, see GoldenHelment's reply.

FYI, I don't work for Odd or JAW, but I work with them. They DO want it on XBL, they're just trying to work things out with MS. That was the first platform I tried to get it on, as DUH, it's originally an Xbox game.

Otherwise, this is the best version of Stranger out there. Any differences with the VITA version? Ask Stew aka GoldenHelmet.

This is a really, REALLY fucking great game and I'm proud for the guys that they finally got it out there in a format more people can appreciate it on.

Also, don't forget they're adding 3D and move support later.

dralla

Never played this before so I don't have the nostalgia, how does it hold up? It looks good and I'll probably pick it up

boutrosinit

Street Fighter IV World Champion
Never played this before so I don't have the nostalgia, how does it hold up? It looks good and I'll probably pick it up

It's a very special, unique game experience. With the story, the gameplay experience changes. It starts as a fairly even-paced FPA. Then it goes more action RPG, then it becomes a full on blaster near the end.

I always described it as "The Dusk Till Dawn" of games, but that's not entirely accurate. Easily my fave Oddworld game by far, and I *loved* the Abe games.

Top Bottom