• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official 2008 "I Need A New PC" Thread

Cheeto

JudgeN said:
So what people are trying to say is that quad-core processors suck for gaming? Well that just fucking sucks, I just upgraded to a quad-core :lol

But I have a Q6600 that I have OC to 3Ghz and it was pretty easy.

Developers should start programing there games with quads in mind, USE MY FOUR CORES DAMN IT.
Your reading the thread wrong. We are saying that Dual-Cores, particularly the E8400, are equal if not a little bit better for gaming not that Quad-Core's suck. Just saying that, FOR GAMING, there is no point in spending extra money for more cores on your CPU when they aren't going to be used. General usage is a different story, as you'll get faster decompression times, faster encoding of audio and video, etc.

Blackface

Banned
VictimOfGrief said:
FINALLY! Good god Nvidia, took you a while.

EDIT : and people saying Quad-Core sucks for gaming.....
don't have a quad-core1!! :lol
:D

I have two quad cores, and nobody is saying they suck for gaming. E8400 just outperforms them on most games. Plus it's extremely easy to overclock an E8400 on stock cooling. You can't do that well with Quads.

Not only that but the money can be better spent in other areas. If you are willing to buy a Q9450 and an 8800GT, you could get an E8400 and a 9800GTX instead. The Quad core varient would perform worse then the duo core one. However both would be good.

This is especially so for people who understand how to overclock. If you know how to overclock there is absolutely no point in buying a quad core because you could get your E8400 at 4.4GHZ without much problem and it will outperform everything.

Trax416 said:
I have two quad cores, and nobody is saying they suck for gaming. E8400 just outperforms them on most games. Plus it's extremely easy to overclock an E8400 on stock cooling. You can't do that well with Quads.

Not only that but the money can be better spent in other areas. If you are willing to buy a Q9450 and an 8800GT, you could get an E8400 and a 9800GTX instead. The Quad core varient would perform worse then the duo core one. However both would be good.

This is especially so for people who understand how to overclock. If you know how to overclock there is absolutely no point in buying a quad core because you could get your E8400 at 4.4GHZ without much problem and it will outperform everything.

would you need to buy a new fan for it though to overclock at that speed?

godhandiscen

There are millions of whiny 5-year olds on Earth, and I AM THEIR KING.
Quad Cores don't suck for gaming, they suck in a performance/performance ratio when all you do is play games. Also, whats the price difference between a decent 2 core processsor and a decent Quad core? $80-$100? Thats very little imo. Another thing is that a quad core allows you to multitask heavily. I can run most of my games like Mythos, UT3 or Supreme Commander FA, in the background and tab to my homework in Visual Studio, or Word, or just browse the web whenever I want without any performance drop in any application or lag, and then go back to my game and see my progress etc. By the time games use Quad cores, I will have something better because I like the freedom I have. Srsly, I hate it when my PC sweats to run a game, and if I can solve this by adding $100 or $200 more even, I am all for it. PC's are made for far greater things than just gaming.

bee

with overclocking if you actually look there is practically zero difference in gaming performance over a certain level, the level seems to be around 3.5ghz on the core2 platform, so clocking any chip to 4ghz and beyond really doesn't make much difference (except the quad core qx9650 when they hit like 4.5+ghz and suddenly they can feed tri/quad sli properly)

which is why quad core is the way to go, no its not gonna be future proof as everyone knows nothing is, but it will certainly last longer than a dual core, i can only name 3 or 4 games that benefit from quad core at the moment but that number will only rise in the future, they'd be UT3, assasins creed, supreme commander and maybe crysis, quad core also gives you a nice boost in general windows performance, having said that the 45nm yorkfield quad cores are all gimped imo with stupidly low multipliers and high prices, the q6600 is definetely the chip to get right now 3.5-3.8ghz is no problem for them

bee said:
with overclocking if you actually look there is practically zero difference in gaming performance over a certain level, the level seems to be around 3.5ghz on the core2 platform, so clocking any chip to 4ghz and beyond really doesn't make much difference (except the quad core qx9650 when they hit like 4.5+ghz and suddenly they can feed tri/quad sli properly)

which is why quad core is the way to go, no its not gonna be future proof as everyone knows nothing is, but it will certainly last longer than a dual core, i can only name 3 or 4 games that benefit from quad core at the moment but that number will only rise in the future, they'd be UT3, assasins creed, supreme commander and maybe crysis, quad core also gives you a nice boost in general windows performance, having said that the 45nm yorkfield quad cores are all gimped imo with stupidly low multipliers and high prices, the q6600 is definetely the chip to get right now 3.5-3.8ghz is no problem for them

I don't buy computer parts for software that may take advantage of it down the road. Because down the road, if that happens, I can just buy newer, better, cheaper computer parts.

bee

Open Source said:
I don't buy computer parts for software that may take advantage of it down the road. Because down the road, if that happens, I can just buy newer, better, cheaper computer parts.

i was more aiming that at people who wont be changing parts for 2, 3 or 4 years after buying one now, which i would argue will be the majority of people

bee said:
i was more aiming that at people who wont be changing parts for 2, 3 or 4 years after buying one now, which i would argue will be the majority of people

Those people aren't going to be playing the latest games at the highest settings several years from now anyway. Faster and cheaper now is better than slower, more expensive and potentially faster 2+ years down the road. The only reasons to get a quad-core now are 1) if you have money to burn and can get the top of the line or 2) you run lots of stuff at once, or run programs that take advantage of 4 cores right now.

I don't understand the argument that started over the Q6600 and the E8400. How can anyone say price is a major concern when the price of the quad core CPU is only $20 more.

Are you saying that there is no value in getting a quad core? Is the performance you lose going with a quad really that drastic?

I just bought a Q6600 and you are basically saying I got a lower performing CPU (lower ghz) and paid $20 more for it.

zoku88

FirstInHell said:
I don't understand the argument that started over the Q6600 and the E8400. How can anyone say price is a major concern when the price of the quad core CPU is only $20 more.

Are you saying that there is no value in getting a quad core? Is the performance you lose going with a quad really that drastic?

I just bought a Q6600 and you are basically saying I got a lower performing CPU (lower ghz) and paid $20 more for it.
There is value for getting quad core processors... for applications that use more than two threads...

Most games don't, soo... yea...

Im having this problem .. when I connect my seagate external HD to my freshly built vista 64 rig.. it almost instantly locks up vista. The HDD has been plug and play on all the comps Ive tried it on. Including Vista 32.

Any Ideas?

rabhw

NarcissisticJay said:
Im having this problem .. when I connect my seagate external HD to my freshly built vista 64 rig.. it almost instantly locks up vista. The HDD has been plug and play on all the comps Ive tried it on. Including Vista 32.

Any Ideas?

Have you tried plugging the hard drive in BEFORE boot and seeing if it locks up as it loads into Windows? Have you tried safe mode? If it has firewire and usb, have you tried the other connection type? Have you used Windows Update to download Service Pack 1 (you said it was a fresh install)?

GHG

NarcissisticJay said:

Any Ideas?

Try and find vista 64 bit drivers for it, if not you're out of luck. Vista 64 is a pain in the ass for hardware (at least that was my experience with it).

rabhw

GHG said:
Try and find vista 64 bit drivers for it, if not you're out of luck. Vista 64 is a pain in the ass for hardware (at least that was my experience with it).

It's an external hard drive, it's plug and play, there shouldn't be a need to find any drivers.

GHG

rabhw said:
It's an external hard drive, it's plug and play, there shouldn't be a need to find any drivers.

Well my "plug and play" usb wi-fi adapter didn't work with vista 64. Go figure.

Epix

Posting this on my new PC.

Q6600 @ 3.4GHz
4GB DDR2 800
8800GTS 512 OC (800/1060)
Vista Premium 64-bit

15k - 3dMark06

Theres a small wierd glitch thing in Bioshock that ive been wondering about. In the beginning where hes in the water coming up and theres like debris floating around, theres some color streaking. Also the smoke in bioshock looks wierd. Everything is perfect though. Is it my monitor(LG LCD)?GPU(8800GT)? or Settings?

Trax416 said:
Finding a Q6600 that can even go to 3ghz is super rare, and nobody who reads this thread for computer advice will get it close to that overclocked.

Finding a Q6600 that can't go to 3ghz with decent aftermarket air cooling is super rare. This is especially true now that pretty much all stores only sell Q6600's with a G0 stepping.

HardForum said:
Q6600: 9 × 266 = 2.4Ghz, DDR2-533 << STOCK speeds
Q6600: 9 × 333 = 3.0Ghz, DDR2-667 << Nice OC
Q6600: 9 × 378 = 3.4Ghz, DDR2-756 << Good OC, near max for B3 stepping
Q6600: 9 × 400 = 3.6Ghz, DDR2-800 << Great OC, near max for G0 stepping

What's a good processor and motherboard combo that I could get for around 200 dollars?

I recently upgraded to a 8800gt and would love to get a better CPU/Mobo to use along with it.

SRG01

sevenchaos said:
What's a good processor and motherboard combo that I could get for around 200 dollars?

I recently upgraded to a 8800gt and would love to get a better CPU/Mobo to use along with it.

If you're planning to OC, get a E4500.

If you're not planning to OC, get a X2 5200+.

Blackface

Banned
FirstInHell said:

The point is, there is absolutely no point in buying a Q6600 over an E8400 for most people because you will get less performance in most games, it's an older technology, and the E8400 improves with every firmware thats released.

Yes the Q6600 will be better then an E8400 when more programs take advantage of Quad cores, but that won't be for a few years. By then both the E8400 and the Q6600 will be a big joke.

The Q6600 isn't bad and it will run games fine, but there is just NO point in owning it for most people. Unless you encode audio and video, or do high end animation work, buying a Quad core is a waste.

People have it in there head that more cores means your PC is faster. It's only faster on multi threaded applications. Applications that make up less then 5 percent of the market and are, in most cases, specialty programs that used for a specific reason, like 3d studio max and Maya.

The E8400 often goes on sale and drops WAY below then $200 mark. Sometimes you save up to $100 buying an E8400 over a Q6600. If you then put that extra $100 you were willing to spend towards a better graphic card then you will gain, once again, an even bigger performance increase.

Like I said.

A Q9450 + 8800GT costs as much as an E8400 + 9800GTX. The E8400+9800GTX will dominate it in every game benchmark.

rabhw said:
Have you tried plugging the hard drive in BEFORE boot and seeing if it locks up as it loads into Windows? Have you tried safe mode? If it has firewire and usb, have you tried the other connection type? Have you used Windows Update to download Service Pack 1 (you said it was a fresh install)?

SP1 installed and updated.

Yeah, I have tried plugging in before - first time BIOS tried to boot from it ... lol

Fixed that, same issue.

Havent tried safe mode, guess Ill give that a shot. if not, oh well... guess its a lot of DVD burns to get all my music to my new comp..

/lame

Im also going through some random system lock ups.. not sure what it could be...

Anyone using an Asus P5N-D with G.Skill sticks?

Mr. Hyde

My pc has been running for a while now, so I think it's time to figure out how to overclock.

Q6600 (the more energy efficient G0)
2X2GB A-Data Ram
P35-DS3L Mobo
Tuniq Tower heatsink
MSI 8800GTS 512MB - Core Clock: 678MHZ, Memory Clock: 1944MHZ
VISTA 64-BIT

What's the best way to learn how to overclock the CPU? I am just trying to push it around the 3-3.2GHZ level, nothing higher.

Also, what is the best way to overclock the video card? I am not going to try pushing it too much, but a little more than factory OC might be nice

Mr. Hyde said:
My pc has been running for a while now, so I think it's time to figure out how to overclock.

Q6600 (the more energy efficient G0)
2X2GB A-Data Ram
P35-DS3L Mobo
Tuniq Tower heatsink
8800GTS 512MB
VISTA 64-BIT

What's the best way to learn how to overclock the CPU? I am just trying to push it around the 3-3.2GHZ level, nothing higher.

Also, what is the best way to overclock the video card? I am not going to try pushing it too much

We have remarkably similar computers lmao. Everything is exactly the same, except my motherboard is an Asus P5K E and I have 4x1 sticks of ram. You even have the Tuniq Tower 120! I can get my CPU up to 3.6 ghz on that bad boy, so you should be able to easily hit 3.2. There are heaps of guides on the internet, even for that CPU specifically, so google it up.

As for the GPU mines a Gainward and came with its own overclocking software and fan control. My core is at about 750 ghz and my memory is at about 2050. Stability becomes a problem way before temperature does, so you shouldn't need any additional cooling on that at all. Gainwards come with stock cooling and it barely pushes 65 degrees, and thats only because I try to keep the fan speed down to reduce noise pollution.

My system now has been up for almost a month and a half.... Was going to overclock.... but now no point since the thing is so damn fast. :lol

Also to chime in on people wondering about the Q6600 or Q9xxx series for gaming: They're great processors and your framerates in game provided with a beefy 512MB GPU will certainly give you gaming bliss for quite some time.

The main advantage that the Core 2 Duo's have over the Quad's is that their speed in Gigahertz. While that is a compelling argument for 1-3 FPS in game and maybe another 200-400 points in 3DMark---- is there really that much a a difference to the average Gaffer? Probably not.

As most have stated, the quad cores give you much more overhead to multi-task which I find myself doing almost everyday.

When you guys are building your systems, keep in mind how you use your current system. What do you wish it would do faster/better? Do you multi-task? Do you only use a couple of apps? Do you watch video or decompress things on a regular basis?

If you're going for an all out speed demon and benchmark queen, then the better bet stock vs. stock is the Core 2 Duo's with the faster speed, but if you're wanting something that does everything at a high level of kick ass, get the Quad-Core.

Also, if you want another read/take on this, over at the [H]ardForums.

Andokuky

Banned
Ok so my PC keeps shutting itself off. I built it a few months ago, never had any sort of problems until now. I start a torrent last night before bed and wake up this morning only to see the PC shut down minutes after I went to lie down. It's been running fine today, but every time I try to use the DVD drive, it shuts off.

At first I figured maybe dead fan and overheating CPU but SpeedFan suggests otherwise. Idk why the DVD drive would be making it shut off, but my 1 year old sometimes stands by the tower and beats on it, but not very hard. Maybe he jarred something loose? All I can think of. Guess I'll take it apart later.

Could it also be the PSU? Never any problems until last night though.

godhandiscen

Andokuky said:
Ok so my PC keeps shutting itself off. I built it a few months ago, never had any sort of problems until now. I start a torrent last night before bed and wake up this morning only to see the PC shut down minutes after I went to lie down. It's been running fine today, but every time I try to use the DVD drive, it shuts off.

At first I figured maybe dead fan and overheating CPU but SpeedFan suggests otherwise. Idk why the DVD drive would be making it shut off, but my 1 year old sometimes stands by the tower and beats on it, but not very hard. Maybe he jarred something loose? All I can think of. Guess I'll take it apart later.

Do you have any logs that state what went wrong when it shut down?

The Chef

Hey I got a quick question for all you PC gurus.
Because of all the criticism towards Vista I naturally stayed with my copy of XP for my recent build. But now I am dying to try out some setting on Very High on Crysis and really want the additional video options for Bioshock.

So is DX10 worth upgrading to Vista?

godhandiscen

The Chef said:
Hey I got a quick question for all you PC gurus.
Because of all the criticism towards Vista I naturally stayed with my copy of XP for my recent build. But now I am dying to try out some setting on Very High on Crysis and really want the additional video options for Bioshock.

So is DX10 worth upgrading to Vista?
Vista speeds already matched XP speeds in all major games, and even surpassed them in DX10 games. Get it now. Vista 64 of course, and soup up your ram too.

So I just got a Vista laptop a few weeks ago and I just discovered the ReadyBoost feature. If I won't be gaming much, would I see much of a boost if I use a 4 GB SD card when I already have 2 GB of RAM?

The Chef

godhandiscen said:
Vista speeds already matched XP speeds in all major games, and even surpassed them in DX10 games. Get it now. Vista 64 of course, and soup up your ram too.

Vista needs like 4Gb of Ram to run optimally, correct?

zoku88

The Chef said:
"Optimally" depends on what you do with it...

Jamesfrom818 said:
So I just got a Vista laptop a few weeks ago and I just discovered the ReadyBoost feature. If I won't be gaming much, would I see much of a boost if I use a 4 GB SD card when I already have 2 GB of RAM?
Nope, readyboost only really helps computers with less than 1GB of RAM, pretty much.

godhandiscen

The Chef said:
Not at all. Vista runs fine with 2GB. I was running Vista 64 with 2GB in single channel (one of my dimms was defective initially) and everything ran fine but Crysis. 4GB will just speed all your games. Vista 64 has just way better memory management than the 32 bit version. Faster addressing.

SRG01

The Chef said:

2GB is alright, but 4GB is optimal for 64 bit.

Andokuky said:

While it is very unlikely that the inrush current/power that your DVD drive uses when opening is causing your PSU to go kaput, the fact that it does reboot is a symptom.

When a drive opens/closes, it usually sends back a signal to the OS. It wouldn't cause BSoDs IIRC, but you should check/reseat the wire connections anyway.

SRG01

sevenchaos said:
I only brought up the E7200 as it's only 12 dollars more than the E4500 (at newegg).

Oh, in that case, go visit the some overclocking forums to see their input. The E4xxx are overclocking monsters, but I'm unsure of the E7xxx.

The Chef

Epix said:
I just built a PC this week with that processor, Vista 64, and 4GB of RAM. I posted the fastest Photoshop Speed test benchmark I've ever seen posted on the interwebs. It will scream.

I love you Epix
thats the answer I was looking for

Top Bottom