• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official February 2008 NPD Results - "Last Gen" > "Next Gen" - Industry Gone Wild.

Is DMC4 going to be the first multiplatform title to sell better on PS3 than 360 worldwide?

Bodes well for Sony with the forthcoming GTA4 sales war. Proves a certain amount of brand loyalty when it come to a series being associated with the playstation name.

Innotech

Banned
Dama said:
where the fuck are people getting a wii, i still cant find one
my little brother managed to snag one from Best buy a week before Brawl by calling around.
Its quite possible but they go extremely fast.

harSon

Banned
Did GAF improve their servers? This the first time the site has remained up during an NPD posting since I've come here :lol

doicare

Shepherd said:
I love how the Sony fans ignore the software numbers. :lol :lol

I see it didn't take you long before you quickly try to divert attention away from the 360 getting beat again by the ps3. Now imagine if after throwing a fanboy fit last month you made a ban bet saying the 360 would beat the ps3 in the febuary npd......o yeah that's right you did....bye :lol.

Stumpokapow said:
Wii Play should re-pass Halo 3 to re-become the best-selling game of this console generation fairly soon. The difference is now <500k.

They should bundle halo 3 with a free controller.

Elbrain

Suckin' dicks since '66
Liara T'Soni said:
Once again though, if it's like, the only game Playstation owners are buying, isn't this expected, regardless of user base?

When Sony has 5 games competing with 360 software sales, I will turn my head, right now however, it's simple logic why this can happen.

Dude you sure are defending good for that last 3 or 4 posts chill out and enjoy.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
ItAintEasyBeinCheesy said:
Wii+DS owners are doing the same thing?

Uh, no.

The Wii beat the 360 for software last month and the month before. The DS demolishes its only competition by triple-digit factors, even taking into account install base differences. There's more to software than the top 10.

The PS3's software is poor, inside and outside the top 10. Not PSP level poor by any means, but certainly still fairly weak.

NeoUltima

Liara T'Soni said:
I think the real difference is that Playstation has one game in the top ten....the 360 userbase, while strong, can't have 5 games with 400,000 sales.....people bought one game from Sony this month, and even then, that one game couldn't crack what it sold on a console with like 4 or 5 other options.

I'm not trying to take a big dig at Sony with this, but c'mon, it's not that hard to figure out what happened.
For all we know, Turok, Rockband, CoD4, ect, sold the same ratio on ps3 and 360. They(ps3 versions) just wouldn't qualify for the top 10. Just cause they aren't in the top 10, doesn't mean they don't sell.

Xisiqomelir

Anerythristic said:
Did the mods do surgical strikes on known trolls or something? This has been really tame and I must say refreshing so far.

GAF is short of tjhooker and Snah, and on the other side MikeWarrior and some other dude.

No sparks unless some brave fanmen take up the torch.

harSon said:
Did GAF improve their servers? This the first time the site has remained up during an NPD posting since I've come here :lol

It's kind of like the primary race. After Ohio and Tejas, no one really cares anymore. The fun's over.

:(

(Go Lost Odyssey!!)

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
Narcosis said:
I am seriously expecting the pS3 version to look worse, have more issues like slowdown/framerate etc, and I think GTAIV is gonna be seen as more of a 360 must buy for multiplatform owners.

You haven't been keeping up with the game then. Multiple hands-on PS3 previews say the games are identical.

AniHawk

Yeah, nothing's catching the PS2 any time soon. The DS could if Sony pulls the plug in 2010 or something. However, that's still a pretty slim chance.

S

Shepherd

Unconfirmed Member
BenjaminBirdie said:
Are you trying to say 360 won the delegate count in that fight?

Just saying the 360 has 5 spots in the top 10 with 1.1 Million units of software sold. PS3 has 1 in the top 10 with 233k sold. That is ignore because the PS3 hardware outsold the 360 hardware by 26,000. Just seems odd to me.

PROOP

FREAKING OUT MAN
reggingaigdcresized.jpg

Insane Metal said:
Wow, good numbers for the PS3, that´s good, Sony. And PS2 is REALLY AWESOME OMFG

360 is ok, as there might have been problems with supply for the first Feb week or so.

Now what about last feb´s numbers so we can make a comparison?
Quoted for new page

Elbrain said:
Dude you sure are defending good for that last 3 or 4 posts chill out and enjoy.

I'm not pretending that I don't only own a 360...just saying what I feel it is.

I honestly don't think it has much to do with brand loyalty as it does simply logistics....

I'm just getting this out now before the onslaught of "OMG, 360 can't hang with Playstation titles" arises.

Do you disagree with my analysis?

captscience said:
Is DMC4 going to be the first multiplatform title to sell better on PS3 than 360 worldwide?

Bodes well for Sony with the forthcoming GTA4 sales war. Proves a certain amount of brand loyalty when it come to a series being associated with the playstation name.

If DMC sells better on the PS3 than the 360 in any country, it'll be because the 360 has a smaller audience. Not because of "brand loyalty". It outsold the PS3 version in the UK, and we used to such Sony's cock and beg for a money shot.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
kbear said:
Ugh.. nevermind. Congrats.

Congrats?

As in, you think I feel a sense of joy that Wii Play is the best-selling game of the generation? I don't give a fuck, to be honest. I was simply remarking that with this months sales, the gap has closed to within striking distance.

Some of us actually read sales threads because we're interested in sales, rather than because we're interested in justifying our personal identities by the success of our purchases.

Agent Icebeezy

Welcome beautful toddler, Madison Elizabeth, to the horde!
Shepherd said:
Just saying the 360 has 5 spots in the top 10 with 1.1 Million units of software sold. PS3 has 1 in the top 10 with 233k sold. That is ignore because the PS3 hardware outsold the 360 hardware by 26,000. Just seems odd to me.

I view it as if new owners are purchasing in anticipation for a game.

f@luS

More than a member.
harSon said:
I bet the Playstation 3 version of Devil May Cry 4 eventually outsells the Xbox 360 version.
Japan DMC 3 sales are like 50K 360 / 280k PS3 i think. Or something close

its +510k PS3 / 350k 360

And in europe its pretty clear the PS3 one is selling betta. So yeah definitely

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
AniHawk said:
Yeah, nothing's catching the PS2 any time soon. The DS could if Sony pulls the plug in 2010 or something. However, that's still a pretty slim chance.

PS2 WILL NEVAR DIE >:O

Shepherd said:

Eh. All three consoles are displaying their own strengths now, all three have proven they'll make it through this gen supporting their users outrageously well.

Which makes for a very friendly environment.

Elbrain

Suckin' dicks since '66
NekoFever said:
How the hell does COD4 keep selling so damn much? Holy crap...

Seriously that game is a fucking Beast damn how many copies has it sold on all Platforms combined!?

nib95

Banned
To the people trying to knock PS3 software numbers. PS3 software numbers are actually very good. I think people forget the LTD on every other console is so much more than the PS3. 360 has nearly double the number of consoles. The double difference is not reflected in software sales. So PS3 is actually doing very well.

Shepherd said:
I love how the Sony fans ignore the software numbers. :lol :lol

Of course, you're not aware of what lurks below the top 10 are you. Considering the userbase, it's not quite as one-sided as the 360 having 5 of the top 10 would lead you to believe.

Overall, it was a spectacular month for most systems SW wise, but the 360 continues it's strong SW sales. It's going to set all-time records for tie ratios by the time it's done. It really is a machine.

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
Is the Wii the best selling GH3 SKU?

Also, please remember to PM me with No More Heroes 2nd month!

andthebeatgoeson

hauton said:
Quick Analysis
F) Good to see the PSP still healthy - I'm pretty sure the consensus by now is that the PSP has been a mild success story for Sony, standing up to Nintendo in the handheld race where no one else could

I still call 'failure' based on how it was 'supposed' to dominate. Look, the NE Patriots where 'supposed' to win the Super Bowl and 'just' got to the Super Bowl. You can call it a mild success. I call it a failure

Stumpokapow said:
The PS3's software is poor, inside and outside the top 10. Not PSP level poor by any means, but certainly still fairly weak.

That's so strange considering the PS2 lit up the software charts last gen. Is it because the mainstream customer is buying the PS3 as a bluray machine? As for PSP, it's a shame that piracy is killing software sales considering developers seem to spend alot of effort on newer releases such as Wipeout Pulse.

knitoe

captscience said:

Has more to do with the perception that PS3 version was / is the better version than brand loyalty. Can't blame them since it all started once it was 1st announced as a PS3 exclusives.

GTA IV for X360 will be seen as better version.

Tutomos

For a console struggling to even reach 100k at times last year and basically written off by a lot of people, this is amazing.

harSon

Banned
sonycowboy said:
Of course, you're not aware of what lurks below the top 10 are you. Considering the userbase, it's not quite as one-sided as the 360 having 5 of the top 10 would lead you to believe.

Overall, it was a spectacular month for most systems SW wise, but the 360 continues it's strong SW sales. It's going to set all-time records for tie ratios by the time it's done. It really is a machine.

Please enlighten us :)

Zzoram

Originally Posted by harSon:
I think there is a pretty large difference between Devil May Cry and Grand Theft Auto.

chubigans said:
How so? Both are large Playstation franchises moving to the 360.

People are still pulling that crap? :lol :lol

You do realize what the Xbox 360 stereotypical (and mostly correct) demographic is right? Grand Theft Auto is perfect for them, whereas DMC4 was never a sure thing on Xbox 360. A highly Japanese stylized action game with a corny story doesn't exactly sound like the typical 360 fare. I personally figured an FPS like Turok would be more appealing to the 360 base and outsell DMC4.

Top Bottom