• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official Madden '10 Online Franchise year end Awards: Goodbye old friend!

Well dudes, the end is here. We had a pretty good run this year. It was the first season since madden '06 where we TRULY had a full league of 32 players. And although people came and went, and we dwindled down by season 5, it was the most consistent league play we've ever had over this extended period.

So thanks bros, without everyones commitment these things can't happen and I would probably stop playing videogames. As far as the awards go, there is probably some stuff I missed, but the truth is I could probably do a million of these and still have more to do. Hopefully you enjoy, see you guys next season! (in a month)

2mzbhjq.jpg

Great stick handler - Best manual defender

This is a cop-out, but I have to recognize 2 people: CB and DM.
I could have picked one or another, but they were both very good. Also a
runner up would be bigAT, who I feel is also a top manual defender!

2hd8pi8.gif

Well.... you tried! - Award for sticking it out while losing constantly!

Peterboy... I don't know how you did it, but i would have probably destroyed
a console, the game, and a couple controllers in the process. Kudos friend.

2a224m.jpg

2007 Patriots award for Excellence - BigAT (Season 5)

No shame in an 18-1 record! Unless you lost the last game :( The GAF undefeated curse lives on!

3f23_denver_broncos.jpg

Team of the Franchise - Denver Broncos (TheCrow)

Now, some might say "But they didn't even have the best combined record throughout the 5 seasons!", but it doesn't matter! They had double the championships of the next closest team(s)! Therefore, the Broncos take the crown!

11h5mw0.gif

Biggest fire put out - multiple!

It was tough, but I have to call a two way tie: Dm Vs. Luke in Sportsmanship-gate, and matrix vs. bigjonsson in guilttrip gate. Dm Vs. Luke was pretty basic: luke runs the score up, dm doesn't like it. This also diverged into DM dissing on matrix for something i wouldn't have gotten within a billion miles of.

But matrix's method to get the texans back was both entertaining and shocking. Basically caused BJ to leave the league and a lot of weirdness.... yeah.

ekjltd.gif

Lovable hooligan Award - Lukems

I have seen tons of people come through the league since 2004, and there have been plenty of dudes who pushed my buttons doing some of the samethings luke did (running up the score, the cockiness), but for some reason it seemed like all in good fun for our boy lukems. Its like those times where you walk in on your sister getting a london bridges from 2 stranger thugs and you're like "motherfuckers dude!". But then if you walk in on the same scene and it's a couple of your boys you're just like "oh you guys!!!"

tim-tebow.jpg

"20 Minutes with Tebow changed my life!" award - Lonestar

Lonestar (pictured here being held by tim tebow, he traveled back in time... or traveled back in Tim as it maybe referred to in the future, depending on if he changes the past) was a sad sack of a player for many years. It's true he's not an "NFL guy", more of a 'bama boy, ala jamarcus. But once tim tebow came into his life, well as Thom Brennaman would say, he's a much better person. Hey! Don't trust me, just look! Lonestar goes from perennial bad team or "1 and done" to making the AFC championship by the end of the league! I wish I could have gotten this wonderful player by "accident"! Half of this award should also go to BigJonnson!

cobraKai.jpg

Top 4 best players throughout the 5 years in franchise (Pictured from left to right) - Rors, BigAT, LJ11, TheCrow

Now this is a very controversial award. "Why am I not on there!" Well, I used a very complicated formula that I cannot divulge here. The bottom line is I felt all these players were the best of the best. Winning records, championships, tough games.... so begin the complaining now non-4! And as for you 4 who won it.... shine on you crazy diamonds!

millen.jpg

Matt Millen Award (Worst GM across entire franchise) - DCX

Now it's true that DCX did make the playoffs a couple times, and even won a couple games in the playoffs in 5 seasons. I can't list every single trade he did, but he had some real head scratchers. The worst being the LT trade. Not only did he get an inferior player in return, but this also had future ramifications as he was forced to use a high draft pick to take a RB when he had holes elsewhere. A lesson to everyone for Madden '11!

pat_bowlen.jpg

Best GM across entire franchise - TheCrow

The proof is in the pudding. 2 superbowl wins and a rag-tag roster of nobodies that performed!

jamarcus.jpg

Best Dranker Award (Best passer) - Rors

I did contemplate giving this award to luke because manning was consistently at the top every year. Here is why I didn't: colts are stacked on offense. Luke is a great passer, no doubt. But look at what the raiders had: nothing. A bunch of nobody QB's, a bunch of nobody receivers, and Rors was still a great passer. Jbust would be proud!

mike%20dayem%202.jpg

Biggest Thug - Mack Jackson

I never experienced it myself, but it seemed like this motherfucker was knocking people out every week! He'll still always be p-will Jr.!

NFL-football-game-sports-injury-athletes-broken-ankle.jpg

Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck Award (Biggest injury effect) - Somnia, tony romo; CB, Donovan Mcnabb

It was tough to do this one, so I did a tie. I felt like Somnia was on a gravy train with biscuit wheels before Romo went down in season 3. Pennington had the game of his life against the Eagles and then sucked dick the rest of the way. Meanwhile, Mcribb going down didn't have quite the effect, but obviously Vick isn't the passer that Mcribb is (or was, as CB will never know that taste again!)

Glee-DVD.jpg

"But my shows!" (Biggest flaker) - MrBob

Well at least he is the champion of something. Time and again he can't make time for his fellow GAF buddies. He even promised wellington one last ride and flaked on that. For shame...

peyton-manning-2.jpg

Best QB - Peyton Manning (manned (LOL!) by luke)

Now you may say "but you gave best passer award to Rors!", but I already explained that! Manning was always at the top. A lot has to do with him being rated highly, but we've seen plenty of highly rated players not perform so my boy luke has to get his props!

p1_oregon-ap.jpg

Best RB - Jonathan Stewart (Manned by GCQ)

Another questionable call, but you know what this is one of the few REAL players (i.e. not superback generated by EA) who stayed in the league as a starter, stayed healthy, and performed consistently. It is also more impressive given that GCQ was behind in quite a few games and still found ways to get J-stew the ball on the ground

bio-larry-fitzgerald1lg.jpg

Best WR - Larry Fitzgerald (manned by Astrolad)

Didn't matter if it was Dirt Warner or Matty, fitz was always at the top. He is basically unstoppable: his route running is too precise, he's strong, fast, and doesn't drop the ball. I still say the best WR in the league, even considering the super WR's like grimes!

Nnamdi_Asomugha.jpg

Best CB - Nnamdi Ashomaogoagagalasdlifj (Manned by rors and matrix)

First off let me say I can't believe rors traded him. There are maybe 3 CB's in the entire game like nnamdi. But back to the point, this guy is fucking ridiculous. In a game with minimal defense, he basically shuts down 1 half of the field. Didn't matter who the WR was, this guy was in that ass. I plan to trade nate clements to rors in madden '11 for him.... straight up!

bird-photography.jpg

Caw caw! Most underrated player - Birdman

Didn't get much talk, but my fellow niner buddy was stout. Unfortunately, he played in a division with luke/colts and so that is who got the spotlight, but he has won a past superbowl and is a great player. Maybe when he's using the niners in madden '11 people will notice :(

Madden98Bret.jpg

Party like it's 1997 - Daw (4-3 D against 4 wide?)

An odd award, but I had to bring it up because it came up a few times! I think daw picks his play before he ever sees the other teams formation. The problem is even the best LB vs. a slot receiver is going to lose more often than not. This isn't the old maddens where everyone is basically the same speed!

eeyore_rain.jpg

Eyeore Award - Wellington

The former, future, and current champ. Wellington briefly got away from it and gained confidence, and then went right back to it in season 5!

catfight-758695.jpg

Best Rivalry - CB Vs. Wellington

A great rivalry that lasted all 5 seasons. Seems that CB got the best of that rivalry overall, but (god willing) they will continue it in madden '11!

large_rex-ryan514.jpg

Best team to not make the playoffs - Jets

Highly rated qb, possibly the highest rated overall offensive line, incredible defense, highly rated receivers and.... no playoffs? Part of it has to do with playing in a very competitive division, a competitive conference but.... I don't know, just shocking to me!

bullshit.jpg

Most overrated RB - Giovanni Girley, Bjoern Mason, Joey Keller, Leron James, etc.

Not much else to say!

true-friend-2.jpg

Most valuable league member - Sableholic

We had a good 5 seasons and I don't think it would have last ed half that without sables script. Stats are an important part of a franchise (someone let EA know!) and without them what's the point! Thank you sable!

fumble.jpg

Worst feature - Fight for the fumble

In madden, the eagles recover this fumble. That's all.

2001.png

Best feature - Jack English

BOOM BITCHES!

CB3

intangibles, motherfucker
Best Rivalry - CB Vs. Wellington

A great rivalry that lasted all 5 seasons. Seems that CB got the best of that rivalry overall, but (god willing) they will continue it in madden '11!

Hi-5 Friend

DMczaf

This is a cop-out, but I have to recognize 2 people: CB and DM.
I could have picked one or another, but they were both very good. Also a
runner up would be bigAT, who I feel is also a top manual defender!

brethart.jpg

DMczaf

(4:52:30 PM) dmczafx23: congrats on winning your award for the 20th straight time
(5:59:47 PM) mrbob2k1: what award

51L4KToBYEL.jpg

Rorschach

FrenchMovieTheme said:
Well dudes, the end is here. We had a pretty good run this year. It was the first season since madden '06 where we TRULY had a full league of 32 players. And although people came and went, and we dwindled down by season 5, it was the most consistent league play we've ever had over this extended period.

So thanks bros, without everyones commitment these things can't happen and I would probably stop playing videogames. As far as the awards go, there is probably some stuff I missed, but the truth is I could probably do a million of these and still have more to do. Hopefully you enjoy, see you guys next season! (in a month)
I traded or FA'd away the entire defense and almost the entire offense that I won the championship with. :\ I just felt like blowing everything up because I felt the league would be over, but then it lasted 2 more seasons. :lol

I would never really trade away my boy Nnamdi!

btw- I was going to be upset at not even getting a mention in manual D, but then I saw the picture. Dm totally deserves that!

Rorschach said:
I traded or FA'd away the entire defense and almost the entire offense that I won the championship with. :\ I just felt like blowing everything up because I felt the league would be over, but then it lasted 2 more seasons. :lol

I would never really trade away my boy Nnamdi!

btw- I was going to be upset at not even getting a mention in manual D, but then I saw the picture. Dm totally deserves that!

you are a ruthless owner. pat white cast aside, nnamdi sent packing... all after WINNING the superbowl! nothing is ever good enough for you!

Rorschach

FrenchMovieTheme said:
you are a ruthless owner. pat white cast aside, nnamdi sent packing... all after WINNING the superbowl! nothing is ever good enough for you!
How was I supposed to know?! T_T You're just mad that you had the chance and didn't jump on it!

Nnamdi, Morrison, Schilens, Ellis, Kelly, White, Bush, Higgins, Seymour, Johnson, Routt, Huff: I'm sorry! Take me back! Jags owner want to trade me Kirk Morrison plz?

btw- injury thing should have gone to Fitch T_T

Rorschach said:
How was I supposed to know?! T_T You're just mad that you had the chance and didn't jump on it!

Nnamdi, Morrison, Schilens, Ellis, Kelly, White, Bush, Higgins, Seymour, Johnson, Routt, Huff: I'm sorry! Take me back! Jags owner want to trade me Kirk Morrison plz?

it would have but you got another top rated qb (although with a different skill set). those guys got an even bigger noodle arm (penny) and a dog killer as replacements!

p.s. and yes i am mad that i didn't get in on that deal. pwill and nnamdi..... shamwow!

Rorschach

FrenchMovieTheme said:
p.s. and yes i am mad that i didn't get in on that deal. pwill and nnamdi..... shamwow!
This should never happen.

Unless it's on the Raiders! I'm gonna do my best to swoon Denog with a deal for Revis.

Rorschach said:

thank you very much

Rorschach

goldlion054 said:
:-( thats hurts. They had good seasons for me, and i was one game away from the playoffs, jerk
:lol

The guy before you was no threat, though. :p

And, well, the Lions in general. :\

Nightz

Best RB - Jonathan Stewart (Manned by GCQ)

Another questionable call, but you know what this is one of the few REAL players (i.e. not superback generated by EA) who stayed in the league as a starter, stayed healthy, and performed consistently. It is also more impressive given that GCQ was behind in quite a few games and still found ways to get J-stew the ball on the ground
Donald Brown is a sad panda. :( Still mad at him for fumbling that playoff game away to Lonestar though.

But Stewart was a beast. Well deserved for GCQ.

Wellington

BAAAALLLINNN'
Best rivalry was Live/CB. I was rolling in laughter @ all the pre and post game comments. But yeah I guess CB and I are the most even back and forth with damn near every game coming down to the last possession. Shit there were maybe 2-3 of the 12 games we played that weren't down to the final score.

GG fellows. See ya in a month :lol

Matrix

LeBron loves his girlfriend. There is no other woman in the world he’d rather have. The problem is, Dwyane’s not a woman.
"But matrix's method to get the texans back was both entertaining and shocking. Basically caused BJ to leave the league and a lot of weirdness.... yeah."

At least I'm good at something :lol

Wellington

BAAAALLLINNN'
I've typed up a post several times and have subsequently deleted it before hitting submit - It's a write up of some of the cheesy tactics and money plays in Madden 10. I think it's worth a discussion but every time I write it up I realize it could just open pandora's box and probably isn't worth it. Would anyone actually be interested in talking about that?

daw840

Oh hell...I did that only a couple of times damn it. I got better later in the franchise!!!

Wellington said:
I've typed up a post several times and have subsequently deleted it before hitting submit - It's a write up of some of the cheesy tactics and money plays in Madden 10. I think it's worth a discussion but every time I write it up I realize it could just open pandora's box and probably isn't worth it. Would anyone actually be interested in talking about that?
Absolutely!

DenogginizerOS

BenjaminBirdie's Thomas Jefferson
Wellington said:
Bring it! I want the E! True Hollywood Story!

Rorschach

Wellington said:
Ugh. No, plz. Every time that is brought up, someone uses it for fucking cheese instead of doing what the rest of us do and AVOID it. Every thing LJ brought up was eventually used by someone to walk the line between our league play and Madden Nation. "Oh, this defense is broken? I'll use it exclusively now!"

I haven't been cheesed much in all 5 seasons, but the last thing we need is to tempt these few guys that are willing to use it with more broken shit.

[edit] But if you're talking about calling people out, I'm all for that! :p

daw840

Rorschach said:
Ugh. No, plz. Every time that is brought up, someone uses it for fucking cheese instead of doing what the rest of us do and AVOID it. Every thing LJ brought up was eventually used by someone to walk the line between our league play and Madden Nation. "Oh, this defense is broken? I'll use it exclusively now!"

I haven't been cheesed much in all 5 seasons, but the last thing we need is to tempt these few guys that are willing to use it with more broken shit.

When was that? I don't even remember LJ bringin shit up....

Rorschach

daw840 said:
When was that? I don't even remember LJ bringin shit up....
He brought up NOS, strong I close, and a couple of other things. He didn't use them himself, but just brought up how broken they were. Next thing you know, people are using them almost (if not completely) exclusively... then other people are using them because they had it used on them and so on.

daw840

Rorschach said:
He brought up NOS, strong I close, and a couple of other things. He didn't use them himself, but just brought up how broken they were. Next thing you know, people are using them almost (if not completely) exclusively... then other people are using them because they had it used on them and so on.

Ah, I must have missed that. I was banned for the first part of the franchise, that may have been why. I don't remember anyone abusing the strong I close though, maybe I just didn't know lol. I seem to remember someone doing that NOS thing.....

*cough*DCX*cough*

Rorschach

daw840 said:
*cough*DCX*cough*
:lol DCX didn't start that, though. It was a trend. :\

Fortunately, we found a way around NOS and once the information of that spread, it was kinda nullified. By then, the league was almost over, though. There are some things that are probably game breaking that I don't even want to know about and never want to see done either.

LukeSmith

Wellington said:

want

Nightz

I'm just posting because I'm at work and everytime I open this thread that picture for the great stick handler category is the first thing that pops up and I have to quickly scroll down. Get to the next page already! :lol

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
Rorschach said:
:lol DCX didn't start that, though. It was a trend. :\

Fortunately, we found a way around NOS and once the information of that spread, it was kinda nullified. By then, the league was almost over, though. There are some things that are probably game breaking that I don't even want to know about and never want to see done either.

Where was this info spread?

BACKCHANNELS

Basterds never let me know. I'm running the Multi Defense and Pass Balance playbook :p

BigAT

Also a runner up would be bigAT, who I feel is also a top manual defender!
Alright, nice. Not bad.

Top 4 best players throughout the 5 years in franchise (Pictured from left to right) - Rors, BigAT, LJ11, TheCrow
Awesome!

2007 Patriots award for Excellence - BigAT (Season 5)

No shame in an 18-1 record! Unless you lost the last game :( The GAF undefeated curse lives on!

FUUUUUUUUUUUUUU

Two damn yards.

Wellington

BAAAALLLINNN'
Rorschach said:

No I'm not going to call people out, that's why I haven't posted it, I don't want anyone getting offended. It's entirely notes on the offensive side of the ball as well, defensively we are all aware of what results in problems. And like you said, Rors, it's probably best not to even get into it due to some trying to take advantage later on.

I'm not going to get into specifics, but it's not money plays, moreso money routes that the AI can't compensate for in man to man coverage. I play mostly man D so I'd rather not gimp myself *when* the engine is the same next year. There are also a lot of issues with the running game which did not become apparent to me until midway through our franchise.

That said, I saw people use the questionable stuff maybe 3-4 times per game so it wasn't a big deal. And no, it's not HB flats passes, HB tosses, or any of the typical complaints.

Wellington

BAAAALLLINNN'
LukeSmith said:
Stop with the foreplay, get to the fucking!

I will cast the first and only stone at myself! My run totals for either season 2 or season 3 were insane with normal backs that were on the slow side (not fantasy backs). Turns out I stumbled on some things that the AI could not compensate for. I stopped doing it as soon as I noticed tho, as my stats indicate.

I did spend a good portion of the offseason... I think before season 3, must have been, trying to break the running game. I tried every play from every book, looked at every positional blocker against defenders, ran zone/man blocking schemes, it was obscene.

I'm sorry MaddenGAF. :(

Wellington said:

I will cast the first and only stone at myself! My run totals for either season 2 or season 3 were insane with normal backs that were on the slow side (and not fantasy status). Turns out I stumbled on some things that the AI could not compensate for. I stopped doing it as soon as I noticed tho, as my stats indicate.

I abused the slot receiver routes some against man d when a deep safety was covering but I was the Rams and really had no other alternative. :p

LukeSmith

Wellington said:

I will cast the first and only stone at myself! My run totals for either season 2 or season 3 were insane with normal backs that were on the slow side (not fantasy backs). Turns out I stumbled on some things that the AI could not compensate for. I stopped doing it as soon as I noticed tho, as my stats indicate.

I did spend a good portion of the offseason... I think before season 3, must have been, trying to break the running game. I tried every play from every book, looked at every positional blocker against defenders, ran zone/man blocking schemes, it was obscene.

Was it the inability of the defenses to play particular counters or offtackles? I feel like those were hard to stop in general.

Wellington

BAAAALLLINNN'
LukeSmith said:
Was it the inability of the defenses to play particular counters or offtackles? I feel like those were hard to stop in general.
Glad to see you finally admit how horrible you'd be on D without Mack.
lvEyC.gif

DCX

DCX
daw840 said:
Ah, I must have missed that. I was banned for the first part of the franchise, that may have been why. I don't remember anyone abusing the strong I close though, maybe I just didn't know lol. I seem to remember someone doing that NOS thing.....

*cough*DCX*cough*
still bitter friend ;) First off, i ever used NOS, NEVER, i used 1-5-5, after the Rors and DM screen and toss fest i did indeed change my approach. I went from 1-5-5 almost exclusively to a wide variety of defenses.

DCX

Top Bottom