• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official NA Paper Mario 2 Title...

olimario

Banned
Paper Mario: The Thousand-Year Door

A response to an e-mail to NOA
Message(#6851-000327-9965\3279965)

Thank you for contacting Nintendo,

That would be pretty cool if the games were released at that price.
Unfortunately, we haven't announced the manufacturer's suggested retail price
(MSRP) for Star Fox, Paper Mario: The Thousand-Year Door, or Metroid Prime 2:
Echoes, so I don't have any information about what the prices will be. Resident
Evil 4 is being released by Capcom, so they're the ones that would set the MSRP
for it. We don't keep track of the MSRPs of games released by other companies.

The best way to find out the prices of the games is to check with the stores.
When a game's release date is close, they can usually let you know how much they
plan on charging for it. You can find a list of retailers that sell Nintendo
products by going to the "Customer Service" section of
www.nintendo.com and selecting "Where to Buy". From there, select the
type of product you're looking to purchase, and then the type of store you want
to locate.

Sincerely,

Nintendo of America Inc.
Elvina Schwab

I don't like it so much. Sounds like a Harry Potter title.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
Uh, what? That sounds ridiculous and long

And what would be "pretty cool" for a retail price?

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
Meh, whats so hard about just calling the game Paper Mario 2? This game is still going to be amazing, but there is something to be said about a nice simple title.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
220431b.jpg

Not enough room for a subtitle, dammit. The boxart is great the way it is!

NWO

metsallica said:
Some people at the IGN boards think it's going to be $29.99

And those people also pay $25 to "talk" about games on a message board so they aren't the brightest people in the world.

Li Mu Bai

Banned
It's not that bad. Sure, I would prefer something more short & sweet, but it's really inconsequential. Btw, john tv have you gotten your cajones released by Gradius long enough to provide us with some indepth impressions?

john tv

Li Mu Bai said:
It's not that bad. Sure, I would prefer something more short & sweet, but it's really inconsequential. Btw, john tv have you gotten your cajones released by Gradius long enough to provide us with some indepth impressions?
You must be thinking of DCharlie or jonnyram? I haven't picked up either game yet, though I'm not sure how much longer I can hold out on Gradius V...

Greekboy

Banned
Some of you people need to chill. Since when have you ever bought a game to play it's title? You buy games to play them.

Memles

They plan on releasing "Star Fox" as "Star Fox" but have to plaster that subtitle on PM2 when it was fine and fairly descriptive as it was?

Annoying, but the subtitle sounds generally fine to me...or should I say "pretty cool"?

Li Mu Bai

Banned
john tv said:
You must be thinking of DCharlie or jonnyram? I haven't picked up either game yet, though I'm not sure how much longer I can hold out on Gradius V...

My mistake, must've been DCharlie.

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
Memles said:
They plan on releasing "Star Fox" as "Star Fox" but have to plaster that subtitle on PM2 when it was fine and fairly descriptive as it was?

Annoying, but the subtitle sounds generally fine to me...or should I say "pretty cool"?

DO they play on releasing Starfox as Starfox? I imagine they'll settle on a title at some point, no? First it was Starfox Armada, then Starfox 2 (which is certainly more fitting, imho.) I somehow doubt they'll wind up calling it just by the name Starfox.

If I didn't have to write a five-page preview of this for NOM UK I'd be writing up impressions of it for the Interweb. I swear.

I will say a couple things though. I'm a little ways into Stage 4 (of seven, I think) and so far Paper Mario RPG has really surprised me with all the different things that it's thrown at me. The first dungeon was straightforward. The second combined exploration and battling with puzzles - I had to pick sides in a turf war between two Kodama-esque races of tree-dwelling spirit bug thingies, then lead a hundred and one of them (all represented on the screen) around to different landmarks to solve the puzzle.

I already feel like I've gained so many different powers and special moves that I should be towards the end of the game, but I'm not even halfway. You can walk "sideways" to squeeze through narrow gaps, roll up into a tube, and of course there's the airplane mode. Which is a lot of fun. Every time you find a new area you can spend five or ten minutes figuring out all the little secrets they hide inside of it.

Add all those little secrets up and it turns out I've played twenty hours so far, which makes me think that I won't be done for at least another twenty. There's some serious replay value. And my God, is the story hilarious. I can't wait to see the English version, but that doesn't mean I'm going to stop playing this. Too addictive.

Memles

Mejilan said:
DO they play on releasing Starfox as Starfox? I imagine they'll settle on a title at some point, no? First it was Starfox Armada, then Starfox 2 (which is certainly more fitting, imho.) I somehow doubt they'll wind up calling it just by the name Starfox.

Well, it's just that this e-mail calls Star Fox "Star Fox" as if it is a finalized title, and yet they have the exact title for PM2...their releases aren't that far apart, you'd figure they'd have them both by now.

If we're going to take this e-mail as a guarantee as to the titles, might as well use "Star Fox" too.

mj1108

Kobun Heat said:
If I didn't have to write a five-page preview of this for NOM UK I'd be writing up impressions of it for the Interweb. I swear.

I will say a couple things though. I'm a little ways into Stage 4 (of seven, I think) and so far Paper Mario RPG has really surprised me with all the different things that it's thrown at me. The first dungeon was straightforward. The second combined exploration and battling with puzzles - I had to pick sides in a turf war between two Kodama-esque races of tree-dwelling spirit bug thingies, then lead a hundred and one of them (all represented on the screen) around to different landmarks to solve the puzzle.

I already feel like I've gained so many different powers and special moves that I should be towards the end of the game, but I'm not even halfway. You can walk "sideways" to squeeze through narrow gaps, roll up into a tube, and of course there's the airplane mode. Which is a lot of fun. Every time you find a new area you can spend five or ten minutes figuring out all the little secrets they hide inside of it.

Add all those little secrets up and it turns out I've played twenty hours so far, which makes me think that I won't be done for at least another twenty. There's some serious replay value. And my God, is the story hilarious. I can't wait to see the English version, but that doesn't mean I'm going to stop playing this. Too addictive.

This just makes the wait feel longer. :( Hurry up NOA!

Mejilan

Unless the case happens to be that they happen to HAVE the final name to PM2, but not SF. Anyway, that's what I hope.

Memles

Mejilan said:
Unless the case happens to be that they happen to HAVE the final name to PM2, but not SF. Anyway, that's what I hope.

Definitely...Although I think Star Fox 2 is fitting, I'm not sure it really works, since then the unknowing public will think they missed 1, not knowing it was an SNES title. I think a title like Star Fox Armada fits well enough.

I know the kid I babysit will die for it...the kid was addicted to 64.

It's just weird that the perfectly acceptable Paper Mario 2 got a subtitle before the ambiguous Star Fox.

Mejilan

It is my understanding that Starfox 64 was a remake, not a sequel, of the SNES original. So, a name of Starfox 2 would definitely work, imho.

As for Starfox Armada... the problem (for me) lies in the acronym. SFA = Starfox Adventures = filth. Bad association.

Matt

Mejilan said:
It is my understanding that Starfox 64 was a remake, not a sequel, of the SNES original. So, a name of Starfox 2 would definitely work, imho.
Starfox 64 was both a and a remake of Starfox. A sequel in that it takes place after Starfox, but a remake in that most of it’s areas were pretty much the same.

Memles

Mejilan said:
As for Starfox Armada... the problem (for me) lies in the acronym. SFA = Starfox Adventures = filth. Bad association.

I wouldn't say filth...pretty looking and sounding filth.

But true...they'll come up with something.

Mejilan

I meant story-wise. I believe Nintendo considers SF64 a complete replacement of the original, even if the rest of us do not. :)

Mejilan

I'll give you pretty. But by Rare standards, the music was quite uninspired. Like the story. And gameplay.

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
Getting back on track..... That name is as ridiculously complex as Ogre Battle 64: Person of Lordly Caliber

jarrod

Banned
GaimeGuy said:
Getting back on track..... That name is as ridiculously complex as Ogre Battle 64: Person of Lordly Caliber
No way, the Ogre Battle Saga has the best subtitles ever...

-March of the Black Queen
-Let Us Cling Together
-Person of Lordly Caliber
-Legend of the Zenobia Prince
-The Knight of Lodis

...as for "The Thousand Year Door" well at least it's better than "Legend of the Seven Stars" or "SuperStar Saga". I'd rather the game were just Paper Mario 2 or Paper Mario Story but NOA seems intent on giving all their RPGs subtitles lately it seems. :/

As for Star Fox, I'm still pulling for Star Fox Armada as the title...

Grubdog

Banned
Paper Mario: The Thousand-Year Door? I don't like it. Paper Mario RPG would have been much better. Nintendo make me angry sometimes.

drohne

hyperbolically metafictive
Paper Mario: Stupid RPG Cliché

not suitable for one of the rare jrpg's that isn't an accretion of clichés!

Alcibiades

What if Elvina was doing it to test reaction on the message boards?

Or maybe it was a joke on her part cause she was bored...

Alcibiades

Wario64 said:
Maybe she thought it would be pretty cool if she gave false info to a Nintendo fanboy ha ha

I was going to suggest this also, you know, some fan thinks he's got some exclusive info and Elvina does this purposely to make him look like a wacko on the message boards...

sc0la

Unconfirmed Member
Every thousand years... there comes a man flat enough to slip under the door. [/movie trailer voice]

... meh I don't like it so much. But you know what? It won't stop me from enjoying the shit out of this game.

cvxfreak

scola said:
Every thousand years... there comes a man flat enough to slip under the door. [/movie trailer voice]

... meh I don't like it so much. But you know what? It won't stop me from enjoying the shit out of this game.

Every thousand years... there comes a game quite good. *cough* Paper Mario *cough*

sarusama

I'll admit there might be a better one, but I find the subtitle to be fine. I think it's way better than just putting up a number. Metroid Prime 2: Echoes is what I would call a bad title: although Echoes is really superb, the whole MP2 is totally ridiculous. Couldn't they have just called it Metroid: Echoes? I don't like the whole game numbering... ugh all these 64s were aweful.

As for Starfox I'm still hoping for Armada. I find Starfox Armada to sound really nice, and I like the association with flying through/battling a huge enemy armada (like in the few videos of space combat released).

Top Bottom