• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official NeoGAF Mario Strikers: Charged Football thread

maxmars said:
Phife Dawg, there's an idea floating around of having MSC "evenings", in which whoever can will get online at the same time & day giving us the possibility to play together, so we can see each other play and suggest, etc.

I'll be pimping this as soon as the final phase of the tournament kicks in (e.g. tomorrow), so don't be afraid, you're not being left alone. The goal is to have a community of gaffers playing roughly at the same level which should bring us enjoyment well into the future.
Sounds good. I'll be in the next tournament for sure - olympic spirit ftw :lol .

Wes

venison crêpe
Just to show how bad I am I quickly hooked up my Wii and tried an online game and was absolutely mad when I lost 7-2 in the opening game. Only then did I remember that you shake the wii remote for a hit, and not the nunchuk...

tanasten

glad to heard people isn't stupid anymore
Wes said:
Just to show how bad I am I quickly hooked up my Wii and tried an online game and was absolutely mad when I lost 7-2 in the opening game. Only then did I remember that you shake the wii remote for a hit, and not the nunchuk...

Keep trying. I want to play with you soon!

Wes

venison crêpe
tanasten said:
Keep trying. I want to play with you soon!

Not much chance. I hate this game now!!

I've gone from a Win / Loss record of 51 - 18 before I had to stop for moving house, to 6 - 12 now.

For some reason I can't defend at all now. That used to be my greatest strength. But I can't seem to slide tackle at all, and all my lofted passes get intercepted whereas I don't seem to be able to do the same!

Also when my goal attempts are 15 and the oponents is 5 and I lose 4-3 I go mad!!

/rant

tanasten

glad to heard people isn't stupid anymore
Wes said:
I'll play some more offline I think before I prepare to be humiliated again online!!

Go online and see how people play. You will learn much more this way.

Also, use the playground thread to discuss things and ask for help.

maxmars

I just wanted to say that the game is very fun with a guest (2v2 online).. Just try it!

The guest cannot be at your level (assuming you've been practicing since the game's out, circa), so hilarity ensues, and frequently so.

Yesterday my wife wandered around the field with a gigantic Mario, Colossi-style, and she didn't understand what was going on (she didn't even guess she was controlling Mario as her brain was still trying to wrap around the concept of having a huge player out of nowhere). In the meantime I was trying to avoid being knocked down by her and the other two guys. All in all pretty comic stuff.. :lol

maxmars said:
I just wanted to say that the game is very fun with a guest (2v2 online).. Just try it!

The guest cannot be at your level (assuming you've been practicing since the game's out, circa), so hilarity ensues, and frequently so.

Yesterday my wife wandered around the field with a gigantic Mario, Colossi-style, and she didn't understand what was going on (she didn't even guess she was controlling Mario as her brain was still trying to wrap around the concept of having a huge player out of nowhere). In the meantime I was trying to avoid being knocked down by her and the other two guys. All in all pretty comic stuff.. :lol
Yeah I tried it out yesterday at a friend's place and if you have never played Strikers before it seems to totally overwhelm people with all the different stuff going on that you have to pay attention to.

Wait what did I just do? Why am I on fire? The goalie is electrified! (Megastrike) What the **** is that? Holy sh*t! Hillarity guaranteed.

maxmars

To be honest I'm trying to introduce her to the game one bit at a time. So far we know how to move, switch character, pass and shoot. Everything else is advanced stuff which will be covered later.

It's enough to keep her entertained and busy, as even only guessing which character she is currently is not so easy, expecially when she presses the switch character button unknowingly.

But yesterday, after a little practice session, I told her "shall we go playing on internet?" It was unexpected so she agreed, even only for the curiosity. She's seen me playing quite a bit online and so off we went, briskly & happily towards the internets and our first match. :lol

maxmars said:
To be honest I'm trying to introduce her to the game one bit at a time. So far we know how to move, switch character, pass and shoot. Everything else is advanced stuff which will be covered later.

It's enough to keep her entertained and busy, as even only guessing which character she is currently is not so easy, expecially when she presses the switch character button unknowingly.

But yesterday, after a little practice session, I told her "shall we go playing on internet?" It was unexpected so she agreed, even only for the curiosity. She's seen me playing quite a bit online and so off we went, briskly & happily towards the internets and our first match. :lol
Yeah I tried that as well though with the people there being gamers themselves they wanted to play right away. Serves them right :lol .

maxmars

By the way, I've noticed a neat trick: if you got two koopas as wings and one shoots its special strike, goalie won't catch the ball, which in turn will bounce on the other koopa's feet.. Like a two-characters version of dry bones shot. Anybody else caught this?

So guessing this is the official thread..

Anyways.. Great game online.. its a bit cheap though or maybe I really suck?

I went on a great 12 game winning streak and was kicking some serious ass.. I was working my team of Waluigi/Toad/Hammer Bro/Dry Bones really well.. But then I hit a 10 game losing streak.. Im not sure if its because the competition got a ton harder or Im just not that damn good :(

They seem to pull the nonstop pass bullshit which I cant counter and its annoying as flipping hell to get the ball away.. I just randomly slide hoping to intercept (Any tips?)

Also I hate people who go freaking 3 hammer bros.. and then do "Hammer, walk 2 steps.. Hammer, Walk 2 steps, Hammer" and just spam that.. THen they charge the megastrike with him and insta goal cuz it knocks my goalie out..

BS :|

Haunted

TurtleSnatcher said:
So guessing this is the official thread..

Anyways.. Great game online.. its a bit cheap though or maybe I really suck?

I went on a great 12 game winning streak and was kicking some serious ass.. I was working my team of Waluigi/Toad/Hammer Bro/Dry Bones really well.. But then I hit a 10 game losing streak.. Im not sure if its because the competition got a ton harder or Im just not that damn good :(
Well, I heard (Koren said it in a thread, I believe) that the enemy goalie improves when you've played more games, so if you heavily rely on shooting, it could very well be that the opponent's goalie blocks more of your shots than before. What I know for certain is that you get paired to similarly skilled people as often as possible, so with a 12-0 stat, you can expect to get stronger opponents in ranked matches (like it should be).

TurtleSnatcher said:
They seem to pull the nonstop pass bullshit which I cant counter and its annoying as flipping hell to get the ball away.. I just randomly slide hoping to intercept (Any tips?)
Well, you need to slide and intercept, but not randomly... try to guess (or rather, anticipate) where the opponent will pass next (or even better, where the pass after that will go), so you have an idea on how to position your players. Of course, squadmates with a higher 'defence' skill slide and tackle quicker and over r higher distance (Dry Bones, Birdo, Monty Mole), so try to include at least one of those into your team (actually, I have 4 people with a good defence skill) and tackle/slide with those.

TurtleSnatcher said:
Also I hate people who go freaking 3 hammer bros.. and then do "Hammer, walk 2 steps.. Hammer, Walk 2 steps, Hammer" and just spam that.. THen they charge the megastrike with him and insta goal cuz it knocks my goalie out..

BS :|
Totally agreed, I hate those spammers, too. That said,Hammer Bros. spamming is among the easiest to stop. Go near him with one of your players, but stay out of his range where he'll hit you with the deke, then as soon as he initiates it, slide or tackle in his direction and you'll get the ball 99% of the time - it's all about the timing against those people. The Hammer Bros. is slow, so you'll often have more than one chance to get him before he reaches a scoring distance.

Koren

Haunted One said:
Well, I heard (Koren said it in a thread, I believe) that the enemy goalie improves when you've played more games
I was not the first to say it, but that's definitely the case. The first matchs are easy because GK is on level 1, it seems, but it increase with the number of match played (or you score, don't sure)

I don't like Hammer Bro cheap tactic neither, but that often mean a easy win for me in ranked matches (and don't see them really often, now, by the way). It's really a timing thing, and if they keep doing it, you can find the sweet spot quite easily with little practice. There's only two places where it's more tricky: the iced field (inertia) and the mud one (slow motion)

Koren

Thanks dk_ and Haunted for those interesting games... 4 matchs, 4 defeats for me, each time for 1 goal (4-3 3-2 and 2-1 3-2)

Argh :D

This keeps happening to me...

Top Bottom