• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official Sept 2008 NPD Results

duk said:
Over 100k difference in the month of SEPT, what do u think the diff will be in Nov and Dec?

You need to look at the bigger picture.

There's no bigger picture to look at until those sales numbers come out :p For the time being, the PS3 held onto it's ~230K-250K ground and i'm pretty surprised by that.

DMeisterJ

Banned
Predicted X360 was 300K. Not "400K or more".
Predicted PS3 was 200K... not < 200K.

lol.

As previously stated, I didn't know it was a 5 week month, so my 360 predictions are a little low, and my PS3 predictions were wishful thinking.

No 'full of crap' responses here. ^_^

PS3 did good, but not that good, and 360 did better than the PS3.

Relix said:
I thought 360 would go over 400K, but on one hand... there was no HUGE game released on Sept for 360. *sadface* a Tales of Vesperia doing so low. Excellent, EXCELLENT game, though I had to stop cold thanks my 360 RRODing but even then what I played is amazing and what I am sure I will play is even better. :D
Uh RB2.

Guy Legend

PSGames said:
Yeah I was pretty shocked to see Madden PS2 >>> Madden PS3

Hardcore Madden players mostly buy on the HD consoles and we saw the PS3 version outsell the PS2 version in August. PS2 Madden sales will be a more slow burn as casual consumers continue to buy it on the PS2.

Banned
Kagari said:
But do you need those to play games? I'm talking about base entry price.

Yes, you need LIVE to play games online. The 360 is more expensive and still outsold the PS3. :lol :lol

B-Rad Lascelle said:
Let's see... whose NPD responses are full of crap? Comparison time! :lol

No_Style's Predictions

[360] 390K
[NDS] 580K
[PS2] 180K
[PS3] 270K
[PSP] 300K
[WII] 560K

Predicted X360-PS3 difference was 120K. PS3 > 200K / X360 < 400K
Actual X360-PS3 difference is 114.8K.

DMeisterJ Predictions

[360] 300k
[NDS] 550k
[PS2] 130k
[PS3] 200k
[PSP] 240k
[Wii] 550k

:lol

PSGames

B-Rad Lascelle said:

No_Style's Predictions

[360] 390K
[NDS] 580K
[PS2] 180K
[PS3] 270K
[PSP] 300K
[WII] 560K

DMeisterJ Predictions

[360] 300k
[NDS] 550k
[PS2] 130k
[PS3] 200k
[PSP] 240k
[Wii] 550k

Wow, that's some ownage right there. :lol

This pretty much confirms that the PS3 really doesn't need a price drop this holiday season.

In september, it managed to do fairly well with no huge game releases or a price drop. It'll do quite well in the coming holiday months with some big blu-ray releases and games like LittleBigPlanet and Resistance 2.

360 may do better overall from a year to date standpoint when it's all said and done, but the divide isn't going to be large enough for Sony to drop the price of the ps3.

VALIS

_leech_ said:
Manufacturer totals:

Nintendo: 1,223,800
Sony: 644,000
Microsoft: 347,200

:lol MS has one product on the market to Sony's three and Nintendo's two. Why even include them in a "manufacturer total?"

I thought MS would have done better and Sony would have done worse. Either way none of them did bad. Sony should drop the price to compete, even though I doubt they will. I'm thinking those 8-9 months of lead will be stripped away next month. Going into November and December they will loose handily if they don't become more price competitive. I love LBP and RFOM, but don't see them pushing consoles like I would want.

I'm actually surprised that people are buying this many consoles. Even though the month is down, it's still quite up from last year. In a shrinking economy too.

Gaborn

Private Hoffman said:
This pretty much confirms that the PS3 really doesn't need a price drop this holiday season.

In september, it managed to do fairly well with no huge game releases or a price drop. It'll do quite well in the coming holiday months with some big blu-ray releases and games like LittleBigPlanet and Resistance 2.

360 may do better overall from a year to date standpoint when it's all said and done, but the divide isn't going to be large enough for Sony to drop the price of the ps3.

This is only true if Sony wants to settle for third place.

WrikaWrek

Banned
Ok numbers for 360 and PS3.

Under 250k this late in the life cycle is shitty no matter what but hey, could be worse. Love all the "was expecting 0 units sold from PS3 and a billion for 360, so color me super surprised" spin people.

No offense, it's good to see all platforms doing "well". But why are people celebrating? 347k for a $199 console is pretty bad considering that it offers way more than the Wii which sold 680k...at a higher price.

Both the 360 and PS3 are doing "bad" to be honest.

gtj1092

duk said:
Over 100k difference in the month of SEPT, what do u think the diff will be in Nov and Dec?

You need to look at the bigger picture.

Why is this a bigger deal than MGS4 month in June when Ps3 won out by 200k and had roughly the same price difference. News flash people aren't going to stop buying Ps3s. Development isn't going to cease on Ps3 games unless I missed the part where 360 opened up a Ps2 like sales lead over the competition. And I would bet the difference over the holidays will be less than last year.

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
Classic_Gs said:

RB2? Huge game? It costs over $160 with instruments, it's like another freaking console. Not only that, but it's not at the same level as the likes of say, Halo 3, COD4, LBP, Killzone 2, Gears, Resistance, etc.

It's a big franchise, but it isn't an exclusive either.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
Private Hoffman said:

It's doing ok, especially compared to last year, but its still averaging about 46K a month. That's not where they want to be at this point, I would imagine.

VALIS said:
:lol MS has one product on the market to Sony's three and Nintendo's two. Why even include them in a "manufacturer total?"

Sure, next time i'll leave MS out and then get complaints for leaving them out! :p

pswii60

B-Rad Lascelle said:

No_Style's Predictions

[360] 390K
[NDS] 580K
[PS2] 180K
[PS3] 270K
[PSP] 300K
[WII] 560K

DMeisterJ Predictions

[360] 300k
[NDS] 550k
[PS2] 130k
[PS3] 200k
[PSP] 240k
[Wii] 550k

Just as expected. Many posters should take a moment to think about their consistency when stealth trolling. You know, to make it even more stealthy.

Relix said:
RB2? Huge game? It costs over $160 with instruments, it's like another freaking console. Not only that, but it's not at the same level as the likes of say, Halo 3, COD4, LBP, Killzone 2, Gears, Resistance, etc.

It's a big franchise, but it isn't an exclusive either.
Its only $60 bucks on 360 because the bundle wasn't out in Sept. plus it was exclusive for that month and had a major marketing push behind it.

Banned
WrikaWrek said:
Ok numbers for 360 and PS3.

Under 250k this late in the life cycle is shitty no matter what but hey, could be worse. Love all the "was expecting 0 units sold from PS3 and a billion for 360, so color me super surprised" spin people.
but that now what people are saying, they are.....you know what,just forget it.

MS WINS! FLAWLESS VICTORY in WRIKA WORLD!!!

DMeisterJ

Banned
pswii60 said:

Just as expected. Many posters should take a moment to think about their consistency when stealth trolling. You know, to make it even more stealthy.

My god, I'll never live this down.

SRG01

Personally, I think this is a very healthy month considering the economy at the moment. All systems are exceeding most projections, and there is growth in SW numbers.

October should be interesting with all the heavy hitters coming out within the span of a few weeks.

Chiggs

Gold Member
Spore realized sales of 406K units and Warhammer Online: Age of Reckoning sold 274K which would put them both in the top 10 list of combined console, portable and pc games sales for the month.

:D

Top Bottom