• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Oh! Cube |OT| of Oh! Picross 3D on my iPad

Chopper

aEhFZ.jpg

Universal App
Developer: Auer Media Entertainment Corp
Release: 17th May 2012 (Now!)
Price: 69p (FOR A LIMITED TIME)

Info: It's Picross 3D on your iDevice. Finally!

120 Levels, split between Easy, Medium and Hard. more "Coming Soon".

It's not perfect. There is currently no option to select groups of squares at a time. Also, there is the odd problem when determining the perspective of a puzzle when selecting layers. This can be easily fixed by spinning the object to the left a bit.

iPhone impressions:
Thanks a lot for the recommendation! :D

I've played through all of Easy and Normal so far on the iPhone. At first, It's a bit difficult to be precise when clicking on boxes, especially when the boxes are actually smaller than my finger. This game is very uptight with what constitutes as a box click. I find myself basically doing chicken pecks on the screen with my finger in order to click on a box. If I hold my finger on the screen a millisecond longer than what it wants it thinks I'm trying to rotate the puzzle. That's good, though. It prevents accidental clicking. And it's very consistent about it too, so once I got into the rhythm of chipping away boxes, I don't even think about it anymore.

For me, it works just fine on the phone.

Go, download.

Update: 13/6/12 - Game has been updated nicely to improve controls.

This confused the living shit out of me for a moment. Cool stuff though. I kinda like the look of it, especially if it runs smoothly.

nofi

Bought this last night.

It's alright, but there's some serious control issues - the blocks spin far too quickly and taps only get recognised about 30% of the time.

At least on a new iPad.

Lovely interface otherwise.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
its lovely, but as mentioned I'd like a way to draw lines/patches without doing it square by square.

For picross games I also don't like to get a penalty when I make a wrong move - I'd prefer to find out I painted myself into a corner later in the puzzle and have to figure it out. But for 3D picross maybe its necessary as you've deleted entire blocks?

Chopper

Did anyone else notice the alarming number of violent weapons that appear as solutions? And the specific Kung-Fu styles?! Weird.

Vinnk

Yes! This is what I shall play tonight. Any suggestions on a good 2D picross to go with it? I have downloaded a few but nothing has been as good as the DS version yet.

I love that they completely steal the mechanics from Nintendo, and then put a Wii in it as a solution, it's so cute.

Still after some iPhone impressions if anyone's playing it on that. Does it register taps accurately enough on the small screen?

Love it. It's Picross 3D but on a bigger screen with sharper graphics. What's not to love? And if you play it with an iPad/tablet pen it feels perfect.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Does it allow you to tap the wrong square without failing? I love doing Picross by hand because I can make notes on the harder puzzles.

Chopper

Does it allow you to tap the wrong square without failing? I love doing Picross by hand because I can make notes on the harder puzzles.
Upon level completion, you are awarded out of three stars. Each star is represented on screen by a block (shown on the left of two of the screenshots above) that will replace any error you make. So, no. You will get deducted stars if you try to delete the wrong block.

I really can't imagine playing this on an iPhone with no stylus. Might work on an iPad, though I still don't think it'd work as well as the DS version.

Chopper

For what it's worth, on the iPad controls seem generous yet accurate. I'm over halfway through the Hard puzzles, and have yet to hit the wrong box by mistake. Any impressions of this on someone's phone would be greatly appreciated. I'll edit them into the OP.

Chopper

I just finished up Hard mode. It's not actually very hard, but these puzzles are like crack. Cannot wait for more content. This game is quirky as fuck.

I might try this. I attempted to play Picross 3D on a 3DS and turned it off after a minute because the screens were too tiny. Not liking what I'm hearing about the control issues though.

Chris R

What is the best 2d picross app for the iPad? Might consider this since it is so cheap even though I despise 3d picross.

Chopper

I might try this. I attempted to play Picross 3D on a 3DS and turned it off after a minute because the screens were too tiny. Not liking what I'm hearing about the control issues though.
There really are no control issues on ipad. No-one seems to have played it on a phone yet though, so we'll see...

What is the best 2d picross app for the iPad? Might consider this since it is so cheap even though I despise 3d picross.
Look a few posts above you...

Chris R

There really are no control issues on ipad. No-one seems to have played it on a phone yet though, so we'll see...

Look a few posts above you...

Ah cool I'll check those out in a bit. Haven't played a good Picross game in a long time.

depward

This is really good. I actually like how I don't have to do big finger swipes to move the puzzle. Well worth $0.99!

dyreschlock

I've played through all of Easy and Normal so far on the iPhone. At first, It's a bit difficult to be precise when clicking on boxes, especially when the boxes are actually smaller than my finger. This game is very uptight with what constitutes as a box click. I find myself basically doing chicken pecks on the screen with my finger in order to click on a box. If I hold my finger on the screen a millisecond longer than what it wants it thinks I'm trying to rotate the puzzle. That's good, though. It prevents accidental clicking. And it's very consistent about it too, so once I got into the rhythm of chipping away boxes, I don't even think about it anymore.

Chatin

As if I need to spend another several hundred hours on Picross... Purchased, and will likely purchase the 2D Picross supplements suggested.

Chopper

Awesome impressions, thanks. I am pining hard for more puzzles...

Was in the mood to try something different, so I picked this up when I saw the thread. Never played Picross anything before.

I like it, but I feel like a stylus would help a lot (on iPhone). Maybe I'll get one at some point. Puzzle games always end up being the best buys for me on iOS. Might pick up some 2D ones now.

Edgeward

Ah, thanks to this thread I finally get Picross3D on my IOS! Game so far on easy it pretty good, little quirks. Would like the hammer and mark buttons to be seperate buttons instead of switching so I know what mode I'm really in, on top of something much less obtuse to signify which is which. And viewing the insides of a block seems to only work going one way, can't seem to make it go the other. This would be much more annoying if it was timed like in Picross 3D, but it's not. So it just stays as a minor annoyance.

Just tried it. It's kind of a sloppy universal app by using letterbox, but the only real killer is the horrible controls. More than half the time it treats a press as a move, so it's pretty easy to mess up when you start pressing squares 3-4 times instead of once. (iPad 3) I'll go back if they patch it.

(The really obvious solution is to just put rotate closer to the frame, I have no idea why they didn't try this...)

iPacross...great production value, controls are more reliable but still not very reliable. (There's a reason why Apple recommended at least 44x44 for touchable elements.) But it's more playable so I may try it again in the future.

Chopper

Just tried it. It's kind of a sloppy universal app by using letterbox, but the only real killer is the horrible controls. More than half the time it treats a press as a move, so it's pretty easy to mess up when you start pressing squares 3-4 times instead of once. (iPad 3) I'll go back if they patch it.
That is unfortunate for you. I had no such control issues on my iPad 1.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
I'll be buying this soon - until then, I just wanted to throw out a quick recommendation for you Picross nuts. Head over to Amazon (or your local bookstore) and try to find any of the O'Ekaki books by Tetsuya Nishio. I prefer my Picross puzzles to be in print since it gives me more flexibility to my solution process. The dude's puzzles are pretty fricken ridiculous in the harder books. A+

Chopper

I'll be buying this soon - until then, I just wanted to throw out a quick recommendation for you Picross nuts. Head over to Amazon (or your local bookstore) and try to find any of the O'Ekaki books by Tetsuya Nishio. I prefer my Picross puzzles to be in print since it gives me more flexibility to my solution process. The dude's puzzles are pretty fricken ridiculous in the harder books. A+
Done! Thanks for the recommendation.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
For 99¢, I'll say that the polish is close to the Nintendo version, and crazy enough the art direction is even BETTER. Picross 3D had a pretty foul style though. The only thing making me think this isn't a replacement is that my touches never register like I want.

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
its lovely, but as mentioned I'd like a way to draw lines/patches without doing it square by square.

For picross games I also don't like to get a penalty when I make a wrong move - I'd prefer to find out I painted myself into a corner later in the puzzle and have to figure it out. But for 3D picross maybe its necessary as you've deleted entire blocks?

Yep. Nintendo's Picross 3D works the same way. Btw, if this is even half as good as that... yummi

Chunky

Oh cool, gonna check this out and I'll just chuck out another suggestion for people in England. In WHSmith's (in the puzzle magazine section) there's an awesome monthly picross magazine called 'Hanjie' that's got consistently fun/difficult puzzles. And they do a "Sumo" version with ridiculously sized puzzles which always have these really detailed solutions. Check it out :)

Shawsie64

Banned
Never played Picross, have no idea what it is. Bought this game anyways though, downloading now.. Hopefully its a new addiction

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Oh cool, gonna check this out and I'll just chuck out another suggestion for people in England. In WHSmith's (in the puzzle magazine section) there's an awesome monthly picross magazine called 'Hanjie' that's got consistently fun/difficult puzzles. And they do a "Sumo" version with ridiculously sized puzzles which always have these really detailed solutions. Check it out :)

Oh! Sumo version? That sounds sort of awesome, haha. Is there a way to get those in the states?

Vinnk

Well, my evening was stolen from this game. And now I am trying the 2D recommendations. $5 each is not much for good picross games. But for people looking for something free, Crosslogic Unlimited for iphone is free and not too bad. Also Picross HD: Pixel Puzzles went free last year. It has a nice clean interface, but not enough puzzles before you hit IAPs.

Just happy to see a thread on picross love.

I just realized how odd it is that HAL hasn't at least ported Picross 3D to the 3DS, it's like a 3DS game before the 3DS (Looksey's Look-Up or whatever by Good-Feel for DSiWare comes to mind as well sans the head-tracking camera was it?).

Graphically how much better can Picross 3D get other than the higher resolution?

Struct09

I definitely miss the controls of the DS version, but it's a pretty good iOS rendition of Picross 3D. Not sure I'll play it as much as I did Picross 3D, but it was worth $1.

That is unfortunate for you. I had no such control issues on my iPad 1.

Verified on all three iPads. It seems to have some clear problems with touching objects that are not towards center focus. I guess their collision casting has problems. Literally took 5 presses for it to register removing a single block on the couch level. Strange.

EDIT: ah, I see why now. It's using a touch model where any touch over a small timeframe (feels like, 100ms tops?) is rotation, while anything under is action. So the comment in the OP is right on, but somehow the iPad Version doesn't compensate. Anyway, makes it perfect for a stylus, horrible for fingers. A shame they couldn't replicate the superior Picross 3D control scheme.

depward

I don't know. I love the DS picross games... And I'm having zero control issues with this app using my finger instead of a stylus.

JEKKI

whoooooaaaaah this looks awesome!!

except I bought it on iphone...

bleh. at the very least, Im glad scoring isnt based on time

coz tap tap tap away but these blocks jus dont wanna get broken!!

Top Bottom