• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Oh! Cube |OT| of Oh! Picross 3D on my iPad

Chunky

Oh! Sumo version? That sounds sort of awesome, haha. Is there a way to get those in the states?

Sorry, no idea. I'm doing this mammoth 60x50 right now and on the inside cover it says they're published by Puzzler.com, so maybe they sell them there?

Chopper

Oh cool, gonna check this out and I'll just chuck out another suggestion for people in England. In WHSmith's (in the puzzle magazine section) there's an awesome monthly picross magazine called 'Hanjie' that's got consistently fun/difficult puzzles. And they do a "Sumo" version with ridiculously sized puzzles which always have these really detailed solutions. Check it out :)
Just picked up a couple of these. I can't wait to tuck into these bigger ones. I don't know how much I'll enjoy paper versions of the game though...

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Just picked up a couple of these. I can't wait to tuck into these bigger ones. I don't know how much I'll enjoy paper versions of the game though...

Paper versions are the best versions! Personally, I just like being and to work the recursive super hard puzzles without being penalized for tapping the wrong square.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
This is FREE today, apparently.

Dynoro

Just chipping in to say that the game is great fun; everyone I've shown it to is sold on it (especially when its free). Hopefully they start adding packs of new puzzles soon

Tobor

My only real complaint is the finicky tapping. They should have used two fingers to scroll and one finger to highlight/destroy.

I guess I have a second complaint, I want more puzzles! I've already finished all but the last four. :(

You not enjoying it?!

I know this hasn't been out long, but it needs an update right now. A daily puzzle delivery system like Pixelogic's would be nice too.

I'm enjoying it, I just wish I hadn't paid if it was going to be free.

It's 69p, but the principle.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
All they need to do is change the way you spin the puzzle, since it ALWAYS conflicts with block taps. Just make it so you swipe outside the puzzle, or like the other guy said, two-finger, and this game is pretty much a 1:1 Picross 3D.

Tried it. Could have been great but the control issues destroyed any bit of fun I might have had. How the hell did they think those controls were good enough is beyond me.

Chopper

I think he means he's been wishing for the idea for a while.
Oh yes. Fair enough. :)

Tried it. Could have been great but the control issues destroyed any bit of fun I might have had. How the hell did they think those controls were good enough is beyond me.
Are you playing on your phone? Otherwise, how anyone can find the controls can prohibite joying this is beyond me. Perhaps this should have been iPad exclusive, if it's the difference between good and bad reviews.

Tobor

Yeah, I don't see how this would be playable on the iPhone. The size of the touch targets must be unbearably small.

I love that they completely steal the mechanics from Nintendo, and then put a Wii in it as a solution, it's so cute.

Still after some iPhone impressions if anyone's playing it on that. Does it register taps accurately enough on the small screen?

For me, not at all. As someone else mentioned, it seems to only register taps 30% of the time on the iPhone screen. It's a pretty polished game, but this makes it super frustrating for me and I'll pretty much always turn to another quick coffee break game.

Dynoro

Are you playing on your phone? Otherwise, how anyone can find the controls can prohibite joying this is beyond me. Perhaps this should have been iPad exclusive, if it's the difference between good and bad reviews.

I've been playing on the ipad and have had no control issues at all; so I wonder if it is due to the size of the screen.

Oh yes. Fair enough. :)

Playing on an iPad. A slight, very slight, movement of my finger and the damn cube spins. It's awful. Having to often press on a cube 3-5 times just to mark it or remove also sucks. It looks great, and I love Picross 3D, but as I said the control issues destroy any fun I might have otherwise had and as someone that develops software, I'm surprised any developer in their right mind would release something that's so obviously flawed control-wise.

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
Playing on an iPad. A slight, very slight, movement of my finger and the damn cube spins. It's awful. Having to often press on a cube 3-5 times just to mark it or remove also sucks. It looks great, and I love Picross 3D, but as I said the control issues destroy any fun I might have otherwise had and as someone that develops software, I'm surprised any developer in their right mind would release something that's so obviously flawed control-wise.

You are correct sir. I am having the same problem. Poor controls.

Chris R

Grabbed this since it was free today. Not even close to being as good as ipacross but I can't complain because it was free. Ipacross is so good though, so I'm glad for this thread as it was the thing that turned me onto it.

I've been playing this on and off for a few days now. I absolutely love it. Definitely one of the highlights for iOS games.

I'm playing it on my iPhone, and while it's true that the controls are fiddly, they're certainly not preventing me from enjoying the game.

I have an iPad, and I'd play it on that, but I don't want to have to start over from the beginning again.

Came here to post the exact same thing. The controls didn't bother me too much before, even on iPhone (they were a little bit fiddly, but I enjoyed the game too much for it to stop me playing it), but now they're perfect. No more touching a block multiple times before it registers.

The title of this thread should really be changed to include iPhone, as I think a lot of people aren't even looking this thread over because they don't have an iPad.

Top Bottom