• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Oh god I just need to buy 500$ bike. Help

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
I am fat ass 290lbs 188cm tall guy.
I commute 3 km to work in a small city. Bike lane, some sidewalk etc.
Wife took the car away only month after the wedding. To say the truth, her work is 20km away
So I can either just walk (25 minutes), get a cheap car or ask her to take the damn bus like she used to ! :p

I know rear suspension sucks. Do I need front suspension? Kross seto looks fine without one. Kross hexagon/evado are fine mtb/cross types and maybe Trek Marlin 5 is also ok? No idea, there are so many bikes
Do I want mtb or city or cross or whatever? Small flat tires or offroad tires even in the city? I want to use the bike in any weather and probably winter too

Last edited:

LokusAbriss

Yes, get a used bike first, before you find out that you hate riding a bike.
25 Minute walk is not bad at all. It can do wonders to your body and mind on a daily basis.
After a hard and stressful day, the walk will relieve most of the stress.
Clean up your diet and walk or ride everyday to work. Your weight will change really fast and you will feel better.

Last edited:

eot

Banned
3 km isn’t enough that you can’t just buy any old used bike. They get stolen, break etc. don’t splurge on one unless you take really good care of it

keraj37

Contacted PSN to add his card back to his account
Do it with style OP, here are some trending on ebay suggestions:
f92870c267e3988d4a46f9d518a5fbc7.jpg

a2e9561f910d76e5d6cda79b2967ee70.jpg

images

Amory

Echoing others, start with a cheap used bike for the commute. If you really like it and want to explore cycling as a greater interest, then consider buying a new one.

But I'd recommend walking for a few weeks to see if you like it. I walk to work 3 miles each way, every day, and I've grown to love the time to myself and the exercise

joe_zazen

How busy are the roads? Bike lanes? Because biking can be dangerous.

but if you do want a new bike, just go to a good bike shop, tell them what your budget is and what you want it for and they will hook you up. No need to spend loads on fancy light bikes, you might need to bump it up to $700 tho.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
How busy are the roads? Bike lanes? Because biking can be dangerous.

but if you do want a new bike, just go to a good bike shop, tell them what your budget is and what you want it for and they will hook you up. No need to spend loads on fancy light bikes, you might need to bump it up to $700 tho.
The bike lane is there for 90% of the way but very often cut by road. Only 3 kilometers.
I've been recommended Cuba aim pro, unibike shadow, Kross hexagon, Kross evado and trek marlin5

...walking is reasonable though

Last edited:

Hudo

Honestly, if the walk is just 25mins, I would just walk. It's not that long of a distance. And over time, you can probably get that down to like 18 minutes or so. (Maybe even more).

joe_zazen

The bike lane is there for 90% of the way but very often cut by road. Only 3 kilometers.
I've been recommended Cuba aim pro, unibike shadow, Kross hexagon, Kross evado and trek marlin5

...walking is reasonable though

if you have a place for your bike at work, go for it. Biking is great exercise and a lot of fun. 3k walking will be 20min, a bike can cut that down to <5min easy.

I throw this in. I am a big guy and really love my giant:

https://www.giant-bicycles.com/us/escape-city-disc-3

also, if you live in a winter city, you can get an indoor trainer that you can put you bike on for some easy exercise. There are some quality ones for $300, you dont need super fancy.

i have the old model of this one ($300)
https://www.elite-it.com/en/products/home-trainers/classic-trainers/qubo-fluid
and have put easy 10k miles on it. But idk if elite sells in US. And you dont need to buy any sensors or anything.

Last edited:
W

Whataborman

Unconfirmed Member
It's a 25 minute walk... why are you even considering spending $500 on a bike? That seems silly to me. Just walk.

V4skunk

Banned
I never understood why people that commute are spending so much on bikes. Go on Facebook marketplace and pick up a used Fuji or something. 100 bucks done. It’s a couple miles dude, not the Tour De France lol.
A road racing bike is about £10,000 mate.

xrnzaaas

Having any kind of a front suspension helps, but don't go too extreme with a bike used for daily commuting. Also how are your winters? You're gonna need some good tires if there's snow/ice and of course you're going to have to invest in good clothing for protecting yourself against the cold and not ending up too sweaty even after a short bike ride.

As for the manufacturer, Kross makes good quality budget bikes. Decathlon's Rockrider bikes also offer good quality for the low price.

Fbh

I'll echo what others have said and suggest you just buy a cheap used bike to begin. You should be able to get something decent for like $100-200.

If in time you realize that the whole biking thing is working out for you, and if you potentially see yourself using a bike for more than just a short work commute, that's when I'd start looking into spending $300+ on a bike.

Don't buy a cheap bike. Cheap bikes are shit to ride, even over short distances, you won't like riding it and you'll give up. Second hand through a bike shop would be best, it'll be serviced and come with a warranty.

T8SC

Find an old Cannondale Supersix Evo.

Or perhaps an S-Works Tarmac if you're worried about the BB30/PF30 creaking after a few wet rides, it'll come with an external bearing setup from Shimano.

Last edited:

rykomatsu

Honestly, if the walk is just 25mins, I would just walk. It's not that long of a distance. And over time, you can probably get that down to like 18 minutes or so. (Maybe even more).

"It's just 25min" turns into 50min/day
Over a business week that turns into 2h 10min/week
Over a year that turns into ~9 days/year

If a bike cuts that into half, that's a lot of self improvement time or project time you're gaining.

Hudo

"It's just 25min" turns into 50min/day
Over a business week that turns into 2h 10min/week
Over a year that turns into ~9 days/year

If a bike cuts that into half, that's a lot of self improvement time or project time you're gaining.
So, you spend 9 days of the year lightly exercising. Sounds not like a bad deal. I don't see the problem, tbh.

eot

Banned
Don't buy a cheap bike. Cheap bikes are shit to ride, even over short distances, you won't like riding it and you'll give up. Second hand through a bike shop would be best, it'll be serviced and come with a warranty.
Completely disagree, cheap bikes work great unless you buy a busted one.

Completely disagree, cheap bikes work great unless you buy a busted one.
Define cheap? I'd say £250 is cheap but maybe enough to get something not entirely shit. and anything below £200 isn't worth looking at. Especially hybrid/mountain as they come with those god awful grip twist gears.

Get a cheap bike. Alternate walking and riding. Lose weight.
Then start thinking about a more expensive bike, or better walking shoes :)

My dutch mentality says: a 50 bucks bike will get me where I want to go as much as a 500 bucks bike.

Get a cheap bike. Alternate walking and riding. Lose weight.
Then start thinking about a more expensive bike, or better walking shoes :)

My dutch mentality says: a 50 bucks bike will get me where I want to go as much as a 500 bucks bike.

Good luck finding a $50 bike that functions for more than a week in this pandemic ... I would not buy a used bike because you will end up paying more on repairs down the road especially if you plan to use it daily.

Last edited:

n0razi

Especially if you are trying to lose weight/get fit... it would make sense to get a heavier crappier bike no?

eot

Banned
Define cheap? I'd say £250 is cheap but maybe enough to get something not entirely shit. and anything below £200 isn't worth looking at. Especially hybrid/mountain as they come with those god awful grip twist gears.
You can get a decent used bike for €150, we're talking about going 10-15 minutes to work here. Sure, if he was buying a mountain bike or a road bike I'd tell him to get a proper one but that's an entirely different thing.

You can get a decent used bike for €150, we're talking about going 10-15 minutes to work here. Sure, if he was buying a mountain bike or a road bike I'd tell him to get a proper one but that's an entirely different thing.
15 minutes on a bad bike, especially as OP is over weight, will be a horrible time. Even though I mentioned getting a used bike earlier I was still going by new prices, so yes, 150 would get a decent second hand ride. OP should definitely get a part exchange from a shop though, not just buy from some random citizen.

Gamerguy84

Riding a bike is great excercise. I dont walk to work or need a bike but I do ride often. I ride with my kids a lot.

Plus it has benefits like losing weight. Your wife will be begging for the D every night, and you can probably start banging the hot chick at the office. All the bitches will be wanting the D.

Top Bottom