• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Oh god I just need to buy 500$ bike. Help

Rest

All these years later I still chuckle at what a fucking moron that guy is.
I bought an entry level Specialized with an aluminum frame in 2013, it hasn't let me down yet.

Banned
3 km? come on dude. If you're going to buy a bike, i'd worry more it wouldn't mess up my clothes

Those small 50cc scooters are perfectly suited for your needs and small trips.
Better then a bicycle, imo. Just get a 4 stroke one, they last forever.

xrnzaaas

Riding a bike is great excercise. I dont walk to work or need a bike but I do ride often. I ride with my kids a lot.

Plus it has benefits like losing weight. Your wife will be begging for the D every night, and you can probably start banging the hot chick at the office. All the bitches will be wanting the D.
This post has started normal, but escalated pretty quickly.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
3 km is more like a 35 minute walk. A bike would be 10-15 minutes?

Just walk it.

25 years ago, I tried the bike thing to work for a summer job. Just a touch longer than your 3 km distance. Ya, biking is faster but doing it in the morning or coming home from work was tiring, my route had some inclines and in the summer heat was death. I also worked at a plant so end of day I was dirty and tired already. My route was more busy and pain so you don't have that hassle. It was either riding along a busy street or riding on the sidewalk going around people.

Walking is easier.

I was lucky though, sometimes my dad let me use his car.

Last edited:

V4skunk

Banned
Just go to Walmart and pick up anything that doesn't break when you sit on it. It's just 3 KM.
Walmart bikes are the cheapest shit you can get. Plenty of Youtube videos of pro MTB and BMX riders buying their bikes...Lets just say they fall to pieces, snap and bend after 5 minutes.

3 km is more like a 35 minute walk. A bike would be 10-15 minutes?

Just walk it.

25 years ago, I tried the bike thing to work for a summer job. Just a touch longer than your 3 km distance. Ya, biking is faster but doing it in the morning or coming home from work was tiring, my route had some inclines and in the summer heat was death. I also worked at a plant so end of day I was dirty and tired already. My route was more busy and pain so you don't have that hassle. It was either riding along a busy street or riding on the sidewalk going around people.

Walking is easier.

I was lucky though, sometimes my dad let me use his car.

If it takes you 35 minutes to walk 3km......I don't what to say......A normal person can walk that distance in 10 minutes.....

EDIT: At the minimum you want a bike with sealed bearings and a frame that is 6061 Aluminium or 4130 crmo. $500 minimum.

Last edited:

Anki

Banned
I mean you said it yourself that you are overweight so take this as a sign, keep the money and just walk. You will save money and will loose weight so your wife will like even more and give you sexy time.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Ok over... I've ordered unibike shadow mtb hardtail bike. It has lockout fork so I can make it stiff if I want (yeah).
I ordered 21" version so hope it's not too big. I am 187cm tall.
I can ride a bike to work and other places if I like it. Walking is still always possible. Maybe it's overkill but hey.

It's that bike. Beware of polish website (it's a polish bike)
shadow29cz.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: jts

xrnzaaas

Ok over... I've ordered unibike shadow mtb hardtail bike. It has lockout fork so I can make it stiff if I want (yeah).
I ordered 21" version so hope it's not too big. I am 187cm tall.
I can ride a bike to work and other places if I like it. Walking is still always possible. Maybe it's overkill but hey.

It's that bike. Beware of polish website (it's a polish bike)
shadow29cz.jpg
Cool concept. The bike looks like an MTB, but the tire pattern clearly suggests it's made for asphalt. My two last bikes had a more offroady pattern and it's not a comfortable way to travel at higher speeds.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Walmart bikes are the cheapest shit you can get. Plenty of Youtube videos of pro MTB and BMX riders buying their bikes...Lets just say they fall to pieces, snap and bend after 5 minutes.

If it takes you 35 minutes to walk 3km......I don't what to say......A normal person can walk that distance in 10 minutes.....

EDIT: At the minimum you want a bike with sealed bearings and a frame that is 6061 Aluminium or 4130 crmo. $500 minimum.
A human does not walk 18 km in an hour. That's equivalent to 11 miles.

On average, someone walks 3 miles or 5 km/hr.

Last edited:
Top Bottom