• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Oil prices hit 8-mo low as US inventory surges and concern on European debt crisis

Status
Not open for further replies.

dyls

seems to track pretty well with crude...

0bb827b9.jpg

Definitely should be dropping a little faster based on the crude price as of late.

Edit: Crazy that crude has dropped $25 a barrel in under 2 months. Hard to feel sorry for the guys losing money on this.

Chris R

I'd love to see gas prices dip below $4 again. Not that I fill up frequently (usually once a month) but man paying $4.40 sucks when oil is priced so damn low.

Gowans

I paid £1.50 a litre 6weeks ago, it's down to £1.29 a litre at the mo. better!

US guys I would kill for $4 a gallon.

womfalcs3

Banned
Yet gas prices remain artificially high. The last time gas prices were this high, oil was around 150$ a barrel. Time to call oil execs in front of congress again?

Oil for the refined products you're using had already been purchased. This is for future delivery.

EDIT: Also, if prices continue to drop (Brent is still higher than WTI), bet on OPEC reducing output and thus raising prices again.

Best part of South Carolina:

Cheap gas.

$2.81 at some places.

There are even rumors of a spot where you can buy it for $2.67.

DBT85

The supermarkets in the UK try and figth each other to keep them honest but it still takes longer than it should. I paid £1.319 a litre today though so it's still got some way to come down.

This was from a UK paper on the 15th when Brent Crude was at $99.

Petrol prices are now back at the levels seen in January 2012. Back then, a barrel of Brent Crude was trading for $110, so still 10 per cent higher than today’s price.

Read more: http://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/...-6-mid-April--oil-falls-18.html#ixzz1yS7lAPOx

milanbaros

Member?
The supermarkets in the UK try and figth each other to keep them honest but it still takes longer than it should. I paid £1.319 a litre today though so it's still got some way to come down.

This was from a UK paper on the 15th when Brent Crude was at $99.

There was a tax bump as well probably.

I love watching how slowly the gas prices fall as the oil price drops, but man do those gas prices shoot up overnight when the oil prices go up.

It's quick one direction, and very slow the other.

Ponn

Banned
Happens every other year like clockwork for awhile now. Prices go up, go up, people complain more and more then surprise, they drop back down, not all the way to original prices but just enough to create a new higher threshold that people rejoice and are happy about then the cycle starts all over again. I give it two more years and $4 will be the new acceptable threshold for people. It was only what, 3 or 4 years ago we were scoffing and complaining about it hitting $3 a gallon.

andycapps

I love watching how slowly the gas prices fall as the oil price drops, but man do those gas prices shoot up overnight when the oil prices go up.

It's quick one direction, and very slow the other.

Yup.

ConfusingJazz said:
Resources from the AAA on average gas prices, currently at $3.47: http://fuelgaugereport.aaa.com/?redi....com/index.asp

Not disputing the average prices. I just feel like we're all being fucked by the gas industry and don't have any options. I have to have gas to get to work. Like I've said, gas prices go up immediately if there is any hiccup in crude oil production. Yet when prices plummet for crude oil, the prices don't plummet accordingly. They do come down, slowly, but when they do it slowly like that they're also maximizing their profit while reducing overall price.

xnipx

Oil for the refined products you're using had already been purchased. This is for future delivery.

EDIT: Also, if prices continue to drop (Brent is still higher than WTI), bet on OPEC reducing output and thus raising prices again.

That's not a valid excuse. Barrels purchased now at these low prices will not keep their low price at the pump if OPEC cuts off supply down the line.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Oil closed down more than $3.00 again today. It's plummeting.

J-Rzez

What's interesting is that it's the "peak gouging" time for gas as well and prices are OK. It was $3.60/g for me today, premium of course, didn't pay attention to the piss-water prices. It's sad that the oil companies conditioned us to think these are great prices.

What's interesting is that it's the "peak gouging" time for gas as well and prices are OK. It was $3.60/g for me today, premium of course, didn't pay attention to the piss-water prices. It's sad that the oil companies conditioned us to think these are great prices.
No sadder than someone thinking regular gas is "piss water"

Big-E

It's bullshit how as soon as barrel prices go up, pump prices go up - but when barrel prices go down we pay inflated pump prices for weeks. What a scam

Ya this happens all the time, not just in the oil business. I remember when the Canadian dollar raised compared to the USD, prices for stuff took a while to come down. The second the dollar went back down, prices went up. The argument that stock is bought well in advance doesn't work.

XMonkey

lacks enthusiasm.
Gas prices are bullshit. They got extra greedy here in CA (and the west coast, really) recently but no one's going to do anything about it. It's alright, they're doing a great job conditioning us.

Just a few days ago I saw it at $3.25ish/gallon. Last night, I filled my car up at $3.09/gallon. Can't complain. Here's hoping it gets below 3 bucks per gallon.

bill0527

I drove from Indiana to Florida a couple of weeks ago. I filled up in Indiana at $3.49. Filled up again in north Georgia at $3.09, and filled up all week in Florida around $3.15. Got back home to Indiana and $3.49 again. We are so getting ripped off in the Midwest.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
I drove from Indiana to Florida a couple of weeks ago. I filled up in Indiana at $3.49. Filled up again in north Georgia at $3.09, and filled up all week in Florida around $3.15. Got back home to Indiana and $3.49 again. We are so getting ripped off in the Midwest.

Here in Indiana/Ohio/Michigan gas prices are determined by Speedway, which is traditionally one of the companies known for royally screwing over people. There's no reason for it to be anywhere near that high here.

If you're a car guy, it is piss water. If I ran that in my car, within seconds I'd hear a pop and then what sounds like a bunch of nuts and bolts being shaken in an old tin coffee can.

Yeah, I guess if the car is designed for high octane gas (very few are btw) then you're right, your car will run like crap on lower octane, it can even get damaged. If, however, your car is designed to run on 87 and you have to put 93 in it for it to run well, then something is wrong with your car.

Anyway, the strengthening of the dollar also contributes to lower oil and gas prices.

Here in Indiana/Ohio/Michigan gas prices are determined by Speedway, which is traditionally one of the companies known for royally screwing over people. There's no reason for it to be anywhere near that high here.
Different states have different tax rates on gasoline

http://www.api.org/Oil-and-Natural-...~/media/21EBD0B62EBA42B1965EE82EFFB6585D.ashx

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom