• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ok all you southern California people...

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm moving to the OC in late August (I'm currently living on the east coast). I will be going to grad school at Chapman University which is in Orange next to Anaheim. Here's my situation:

I found a place in Newport Beach basically on a penninsula and about a BLOCK AND A HALF from the beach. I would so love to live there BUT I have an 8 a.m. class. Does anyone know what traffic is like in the morning from Newport Beach to Annaheim/Orange area???

It's only 16 miles or so but 16 miles here (washington DC) takes about an hour and half to travel in the morning... is it the same over in OC?

I dunno bout commute or nothing, just be prepared for brown skies and brown ground. Everything is dead on the ground and the sky is unbreathable. At least in Houston, only the air is unbreathable.

Hitman

Edmonton's milkshake attracts no boys.
HOYL SHIT! YOUR GONNA BE LIVING WITH RYAN SETH MARISSA SUMMER! OMG I WANT TO BE YOU!

Dilbert

I have no idea what the hell ConfusingJazz is talking about.

Chapman is located next to the "Orange Crush," which is where the 5, 57, and 22 freeways all merge. From Newport Beach, I imagine that you'd take the 55 into Orange, and then either take surface streets from there or hop on the 22 for a couple of exits.

In general, I'd assume that you'd run into SOME rush hour traffic since all the people in Newport Beach would be heading inland to go to work. Also, you have a significant trek on surface streets to even pick up a freeway since the 55 ends in Costa Mesa.

The bottom line: It's certainly not 90 minutes, and it's probably not 60 minutes, but it might take you 45 minutes. Still, you'll have fun living in Newport, so it's probably worth the hassle if you have a good car.

3phemeral

Jinx is right, traffic shouldn't be too bad. :)

BTW, congrats on Chapman -- going for law school, right? My friend's been attending Chapman for around 2 years now.. maybe 3, I don't remember. Maybe you two might bump into each other? ^_^

retardboy

In my 20 years of living in Orange County, I've called Orange County, OC, numerous times. Anyway, your drive shouldn't be too bad as long as there isn't a traffic accident. (Which many times there are) Early morning is kinda busy though... I don't even leave my house to go anywhere till like 10. Hahaha

aparisi2274

i heart sluts said:
I'm moving to the OC in late August (I'm currently living on the east coast). I will be going to grad school at Chapman University which is in Orange next to Anaheim. Here's my situation:

I found a place in Newport Beach basically on a penninsula and about a BLOCK AND A HALF from the beach. I would so love to live there BUT I have an 8 a.m. class. Does anyone know what traffic is like in the morning from Newport Beach to Annaheim/Orange area???

It's only 16 miles or so but 16 miles here (washington DC) takes about an hour and half to travel in the morning... is it the same over in OC?

When i was in THE OC last summer on vacation, the traffic was really never bad, and we drove up to Anaheim all the time from right around Newport Beach. It may be a little congested but I think its normal volume for that highway. Also, what you should do is see if there are any other ways of getting to where you need to go without having to get on the highway.

fart

Savant
orange is a nice place, as socal places go. it's going to be hot in the fall though. plan on a 45+ commute with parking and all that. iirc chapman doesn't quite have enough parking.

-jinx- said:
I have no idea what the hell ConfusingJazz is talking about.

Chapman is located next to the "Orange Crush," which is where the 5, 57, and 22 freeways all merge. From Newport Beach, I imagine that you'd take the 55 into Orange, and then either take surface streets from there or hop on the 22 for a couple of exits.

In general, I'd assume that you'd run into SOME rush hour traffic since all the people in Newport Beach would be heading inland to go to work. Also, you have a significant trek on surface streets to even pick up a freeway since the 55 ends in Costa Mesa.

The bottom line: It's certainly not 90 minutes, and it's probably not 60 minutes, but it might take you 45 minutes. Still, you'll have fun living in Newport, so it's probably worth the hassle if you have a good car.

Yeah -jinx- knows what he's talking about. I don't know where the OP lives exactly, but I'm going to assume that you will take Newport Blvd, which transitions to the 55. I know that on afternoons that area will be pretty busy. The 55 North, which will take you to Orange, has a ton of traffic in the morning. Once you get near the 405, the traffic will start getting nasty. The 55 will pretty much take you all the way to Chapman. I would recommend just living somewhere closer to campus. It's not worth it to live so far away and then have to commune. For goodness sake, I live about the same distance from the beach, and I haven't been to the beach for about a year.

fart

Savant
yah that's the truth. i'm about a mile from sand and i've seriously seen none for a year and a half.

Thanks for the input everybody.

I checked yahoo maps and it recommends taking the 55 all the way to Chapman... hmmm... 45 minute commute eh?.. That'll probably a big enough excuse for me to skip classes all the time which, with the amount I'm paying for to go to this school, is probably not a good idea.

BTW, congrats on Chapman -- going for law school, right? My friend's been attending Chapman for around 2 years now.. maybe 3, I don't remember. Maybe you two might bump into each other? ^_^

Thanks, not the law school but I hear its good. I'll be going to the film school.

i heart sluts said:
Thanks for the input everybody.

I checked yahoo maps and it recommends taking the 55 all the way to Chapman... hmmm... 45 minute commute eh?.. That'll probably a big enough excuse for me to skip classes all the time which, with the amount I'm paying for to go to this school, is probably not a good idea.

Thanks, not the law school but I hear its good. I'll be going to the film school.

Fuck that, think of all the women that will be at the beach! Grades be damned! :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom