• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

OMY - omg !

Kenka

OMY (Orient Magnetic Yellow) is a band of video games composers who had the idea in the 90's to pay homage to the Yellow Magic Orchestra (abbreviated YMO), a pioneer in electronical music in Japan in the 70's.

Participants are Shinji Hosoe (Famicom 20th Anniversary Arrange Soundtracks, Xenosaga Episode II : Jenseits von Gut und Bose, Ridge Racer), Nobuyoshi Sano (Tekken 3), Takayuki Aihara (Drag-on Dragoon, Phantasy Star Online Episode I & II Premium Arrange, NieR Tribute Album -echo-) and Hiroto Sasaki (THE IDOLM@STER) who made several albums between 1994 and 2001.

Scan2-6.jpg
51VDMBiqcjL.jpg

OMY+Scan25.jpg
Yellow+Magic+Orchestra.jpg

XOBREEDS+Oriental+Magnetic+Yellow+++XOB.png
YMO+-+XOO+Multiplies+-.jpg

They have remixed several YMO successes with great result.

Rydeen:

OMY - ライジーン - RYZEEN-
Original

Technopolis:

OMY - テクノポリッシュ -TECHNOPOLISH
Original

Tong Poo:

OMY シャンプー SHANG POO

Original

Mad Pierrot:

Oriental Magnetic Yellow / Good Pierrot

Original

I only discovered their work today and damn ! this sounds great. Amazing stuff in retrospect. No wonder why so many of their compositions later on retained a distinctive YMO touch, especially Xenosaga II.

Tenrius

That's probably due to the thread title being not very informative. Thanks for the heads-up, I'll check it out.

Ooo nice find. I always thought most good video game music owes a lot to YMO (especially FF6) so it is cool to see VG composers remix their songs.

Kenka

Yes, great reaction !

Supradarky featured one of their songs in his playlist (two actually), mentioning how close the tune sounds like the one in Second Miltia from Xenosaga II, which is absolutely gorgeous. I wonder if other musicians have had bands that shaped the sound of their work in video games, especially Robin Beanland and David Wise.

Will definitely have to check this out later.

After having read and heard about YMO for a long time, I finally had the chance to listen to them about a year ago and automatically fell in love. Rydeen, Technopolis, Behind the Mask and La Femme Chinoise are some of my favorites. (Michael Jackson's and Eric Clapton's covers of Behind the Mask are interesting too).

popyea

Any fans know if Nobuyoshi Sano or Takayuki Aihara created anything else that's comparable to the first Drakengard's soundtrack? I adore that thing and it's the only reason I know who these guys are. I get the feeling that the style they used was a one off for them though.

Top Bottom