• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ONE GIANT LEAP FOR PS2: NEW FIRST-HAND SAN ANDREAS IMPRESSIONS!

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/news/news_story.php?id=109387

Lots more to this article. Huge writeup with lots of nice info. Nice read.

The GTA countryside comes to life as Rockstar tells us "this is a bigger leap than we moved from 2D to 3D". Who's to argue?
17:10 It's all very good sounding hot on paper, but having lots of cool features means absolutely zip if it plays like a limbless turkey when put into practice.

When Rockstar announced the latest countryside details for GTA: San Andreas the other week, we were like "there is no possible way this is going to work on PS2."

Haircuts, yes, fitness/fat ratios, maybe, puking on fast-food diner's floors, okay, but a sprawling state environment split into towns and cities with their own individual look, people, vehicles, terrain and weather, including an entirely separately countryside on the outskirts?

No chance, we said, arms folded, disinterested eyes now focused towards the good-looking blonde at the end of the office. This is just far too ambitious to work.

Laughing at our cynicism, Rockstar promptly dragged us into its London H.Q. demo room to give us an in-depth demonstration of San Andreas' countryside settings. Not only did we re-emerge with egg on our face, we seriously felt we'd just been on holiday. It looked that good!

RevenantKioku

PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS oh god i am drowning in them
I'm sorry, I just don't get what's impressive there. What am I missing?

levious

That throwing stick stunt of yours has boomeranged on us.
I didn't know there was planes. Good lord this game sounds crazy.

Mrbob

I know I like to kid with this game, but between the EGM write up and this I gotta say I'm a bit excited to try this game out. Sounds like the extra development is being put to good use and this game is just going to make the other games seem tiny by comparison. Vice City was just like GTA3 but in a new setting. This game seems to have its sights set way and beyond just barely building upon the last game. It looks like it is going to obliterate it.

bishoptl

Banstick Emeritus
Considering it's been in development parallel to Vice City (ie. almost immediately after GTA 3), I'd expect nothing less from the INTERSTELLAR SPACE GODS at Rockstar.

levious

That throwing stick stunt of yours has boomeranged on us.
Go Go Ackman! said:
Okay, so you can drive out to the farm. Why am I supposed to care?

You're not supposed to care... this game is strictly F.U.B.U.

Xellos

The game sounds awesome, but that's expected for this series. Only one month to go. :)

Couple questions: Has Rockstar announced who will do the voice acting yet? Also, any word on an Xbox version, or should it just be expected for around the same time as the PC?

IJoel

I sure hope the controls have been tightened up significantly. It's the #1 issue from the previous games that has completely turned me off from the games.

Mrbob

bishoptl said:
Considering it's been in development parallel to Vice City (ie. almost immediately after GTA 3), I'd expect nothing less from the INTERSTELLAR SPACE GODS at Rockstar.

Interesting.

So what did Rockstar do after GTA3... Split the team in half, with some working on Vice City and the rest on San Andreas? Then pull the Vice City team back together with the San Andreas team after Vice City was done? Or have they been working on a next gen GTA for awhile?

bishoptl

Banstick Emeritus
They pulled some of the team onto SA while the majority worked on Vice City, according to my colleague who used to work there, Mrbob...

Rhindle

RevenantKioku said:
I'm sorry, I just don't get what's impressive there. What am I missing?
COUNTRYSIDE SETTING RENDERING IS NEXT REVOLUTION IN CONSOLE GAMING. IT'S BIGGER THAN 4D OR SOMETHING

bishoptl said:
They pulled some of the team onto SA while the majority worked on Vice City, according to my colleague who used to work there, Mrbob...

So, what you're saying is that GTA:SA has been 3 years in the making? :)

RevenantKioku

PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS oh god i am drowning in them
Rhindle said:
COUNTRYSIDE SETTING RENDERING IS NEXT REVOLUTION IN CONSOLE GAMING. IT'S BIGGER THAN 4D OR SOMETHING

THANK YOU. NOW I THINK I WILL GO BUY FABLE AND PLAY HALO ON LEGENDARY.

Mrbob

shpankey said:
You are all "falling for the hype".

Just so ya's know's. ;)

I dunno. Maybe. Even in previews, Vice City sounded just like GTA3 but in 80s Miami clothing. The early write ups suggest this is something much bigger. Have you read the EGM article yet?

jett

D-Member
Heh, still no impressions on how the game actually plays. I want to know if the camera and the controls are still garbage. :p

8bit

Knows the Score
Bob White said:
Which may mean that GTA 4 is already in production! GAF exclusive!!!!! GTA 4 half way done!!!!

Umm, it is. What do you think the VC team went on to do?

GTA:Luna. 2006.

The hype train is at full speed, the breaks are off, I hope it hits sonycowboy first.

The statement that "this is a bigger leap than we moved from 2D to 3D" is so fucking stupid. I really hope Rockstar does not think this. They may have made Grand Theft Auto from a franchise that nobody wanted to touch to a hot selling mainstream title, but that means jack when you start pumping out new versions ever 2 years. Sooner or later it's going to get old, and everything in that quote is nothing that is revolutionary or new. Shenmue did half of that years ago.

A GTA game won't get respect from me until it's polished to extreme, and not a clunky mess thrown together in a box.

BTW sonycowboy, I hope you realize the quote means 2D to 3D for the GTA series, not for all of gaming. But looking at the title, you seem to think otherwise. Figures!

bishoptl said:
nobody bought Shenmue

They would have if Ryu was able to knock old asian men off bikes, ride around with a shot gun in hand and shooting every NPC that was clueless as to where the sailors where!

Shinobi

bishoptl said:
nobody bought Shenmue

One million copies worldwide is "nobody"? Sure, it doesn't compare to the 97 million that's bought the last two GTA games, but compared to games that sell at normal levels, it sold quite well.

bishoptl

Banstick Emeritus
Shinobi said:
One million copies worldwide is "nobody"? Sure, it doesn't compare to the 97 million that's bought the last two GTA games
Sorry, I should have posted "nobody of consequence". :D

Go Go Ackman! said:
Okay, so you can drive out to the farm. Why am I supposed to care?

Knowing GTA there is probably a subset of the game that has you able to do farm like activities like Harvest Moon. Just like the Taxi and Vigilante mission in the previous games.

Goreomedy

Console Market Analyst
bishoptl said:
Sorry, I should have posted "nobody of consequence". :D

Hey! I bought Shenmue! And even liked it to a point.

But the comparison is quite asinine, like putting a bovine art film next to a summer blockbuster.

"But CJ uses a bike! And he learns new moves at dojos, boxing rings, and gyms!" And he's got a hell of a lot more freedom and gameplay variety than Ryu, an objective system that leaves nothing to ambiguity (Journal entry # 12 "This mission system sucks. And where ARE those sailors."), and what's sure to be a superior plot with memorable characters and a wild sense of humor.

It aint just the "bang bang" that separates these two.

snapty00

Banned
Sounds interesting. I just hope they can keep the new additions and still have it be fun and fresh.

I hope the controls are a bit updated.

bishoptl

Banstick Emeritus
Hey, I bought Shenmue, and Shenmue II...TWICE. It's just that kitchenmotors' comparison was so laughable I had to throw a snide remark into the mix. :)

Bob White said:
Which may mean that GTA 4 is already in production! GAF exclusive!!!!! GTA 4 half way done!!!!

More like GTA VI.

You do realize that San Andreas was code named GTA V right?

Vice City is GTA IV now, and San Andreas is V. The just don't put the number on the box anymore.

StrikerObi said:
More like GTA VI.

Vice City is GTA IV now, and San Andreas is V. The just don't put the number on the box anymore.

They made sure to point out when VC was in development that it wasn't GTA4.

kitchenmotors said:
The hype train is at full speed, the breaks are off, I hope it hits sonycowboy first.

The statement that "this is a bigger leap than we moved from 2D to 3D" is so fucking stupid. I really hope Rockstar does not think this. They may have made Grand Theft Auto from a franchise that nobody wanted to touch to a hot selling mainstream title, but that means jack when you start pumping out new versions ever 2 years. Sooner or later it's going to get old, and everything in that quote is nothing that is revolutionary or new. Shenmue did half of that years ago.

A GTA game won't get respect from me until it's polished to extreme, and not a clunky mess thrown together in a box.

BTW sonycowboy, I hope you realize the quote means 2D to 3D for the GTA series, not for all of gaming. But looking at the title, you seem to think otherwise. Figures!

Hey ftard, it's cvg's freaking title. Maybe if you bothered to actually click the link you'd realize that.

Laguna X

Nintendogs Member
StrikerObi said:
More like GTA VI.

They've said in the past that both VC and SA were GTA III expansions. GTA IV was said to appear on a next gen console.

Laguna X

Nintendogs Member
Bluemercury said:
Why???Because pple now dont have to buy a ps2 to play it???

Protect the hive....lol
Actually, I think he's sad that he has to wait an entire year before he can get the PC version.

cja

Laguna X said:
Actually, I think he's sad that he has to wait an entire year before he can get the PC version.
Good news for him then, CVG got it wrong. PC version is due in Take-Two's financial Q3, not calendar. May to July, just like the previous PC conversions of 3D GTAs.

Top Bottom