• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

One Piece Anime On Now... FoxBox (and F Zero Anime On Later Today)

GDGF

Soothsayer
Just thought you'd want a heads up. Hell, it's gaming related. I first heard about One Piece through that dope ass looking celshaded Gamecube game that never made it over :)

RevenantKioku

PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS oh god i am drowning in them
Sweet hopping son of a deity, that Pokemon commercial is on every break.
And Hulk Hogan is pimping One Piece.
I'm not sure if I'm glad I woke up for this.

GDGF

Soothsayer
Hells yeah! Usagi Yojimbo! I'm freaking marking out to a cartoon!

(still video game related...konami's got an upcoming game don't cha know!)

Belfast

You should make an effort to download One Piece in its original form (subtitltied, of course) if you think you might like it. I'm not allowed to tell you where, unfortunatley. :x

GDGF

Soothsayer
F-Zero wasn't half bad! It was like a new fangled Speed Racer. It was funny seeing that dude that looked like Mario with the star belt and the white suit, too :)

GDGF

Soothsayer
I don't know too much about that kinda stuff (back in my day we were happy to have anime at all) but it sounded alright to me.

RevenantKioku

PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS oh god i am drowning in them
I'm far too used to the Japanese voices to really be able to let myself appreciate it, and somethings like "gum gum blast" just make me groan a bit despite my understandings.
Still, if we get some OP toys and games out of this,
fonz.jpg

GDGF

Soothsayer
Eric-GCA said:
Haha, Usagi Yojimbo is back on TMNT, sweet.

Hell yeah! He was cool as hell, too. I liked this incarnation alot better than the one in the older cartoon. He was alot more like his comic persona (and that can be said about the new TMNT cartoon in general)

Shinobi

F-Zero was pure cheese...but I'll probably watch it again next week.

TMNT rocks at the moment.

And realizing Brooke Hogan's father is the Hulkster is a total mindfuck.

isamu

OMFG HOLY MOTHER OF MARY IN HEAVEN I CANT BELIEVE IT WTF WHERE ARE MY SEDATIVES AAAAHHH
Can someone please tell me what specific channel this "Fox Box" thing is on and when it is aired? I am in Los Angeles, thanks.

GDGF

Soothsayer
Whatever channel your local fox affiliate is. It's just normal fox, but it's one of the last standing bastians of saturday morning cartoons. It's starts at like 9 AM EST, but it doesn't get good until about 10 AM or so.

Belfast

Nah, there's still plenty of Sat. morning blocks these days, but the amount of original programming is pretty low. i.e. ABC is just their Disney stuff, CBS is just the Nickelodeon stuff, etc. WB, Fox, and ABC Family are pretty much the three with any kind of original stuff.

Rlan

XS+ said:
You guys are gonna blow your load when Transformers Superlink makes to the US.

It has, as Transformers Energon.

From the few episodes I've seen, the Robot animations are Terrible. Very off-putting, and look like they were animated by some 12 year old. Not even in the same sport as Beast Wars, not that I was expecting that for a 50+ episode show, but man it looks crap.

RevenantKioku

Meier said:
What the fuck? How could Colonel Smoker not be umm smoking? I wonder how he'll do his attacks now? o_O

He'll have eaten the fog cursED fruit!
Then they can give him a bad British accent!

XS+ said:
You guys are gonna blow your load when Transformers Superlink makes to the US.
Serious? It's only slightly better than Armada, and Armada was total shit. Anyway as somebody already said, it's been on Cartoon Network for a while now...

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
belgurdo said:
I like that intro song

omg this cartoon rocks ass
Seriously, find yourself the subs, cause what aired on FoxBox was really horrifically bad. Chopped up and shat on. And it's only going to get worse in later episodes where the show takes a turn for the darker at times. This was a pre-dominantly light and fluffy kind of episode to start, and they still managed to chop it to hell.

And "Zolo".....*shakes head in disgust*

Anyway, let's keep everything One Piece over here in the official thread, okay?

http://www.ga-forum.com/showthread.php?t=60

isamu

OMFG HOLY MOTHER OF MARY IN HEAVEN I CANT BELIEVE IT WTF WHERE ARE MY SEDATIVES AAAAHHH
Lost Weekend said:
Whatever channel your local fox affiliate is. It's just normal fox, but it's one of the last standing bastians of saturday morning cartoons. It's starts at like 9 AM EST, but it doesn't get good until about 10 AM or so.

Defensor said:
Channel 11 man.

Thanks and thanks :) :)

MetatronM said:
Seriously, find yourself the subs, cause what aired on FoxBox was really horrifically bad. Chopped up and shat on. And it's only going to get worse in later episodes where the show takes a turn for the darker at times. This was a pre-dominantly light and fluffy kind of episode to start, and they still managed to chop it to hell.

And "Zolo".....*shakes head in disgust*

Anyway, let's keep everything One Piece over here in the official thread, okay?

http://www.ga-forum.com/showthread.php?t=60

It's not too surprising that they've chopped it up. Anyone that's seen Fox's Escaflowne eps knows what they're capable of when it comes to editing (they edited it to the point that Van was the main character instead of Hitomi).

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
SolidSnakex said:
It's not too surprising that they've chopped it up. Anyone that's seen Fox's Escaflowne eps knows what they're capable of when it comes to editing (they edited it to the point that Van was the main character instead of Hitomi).
Of course it's not surprising. It's still terrible.

I've always liked the F-Zero anime. I think it's a very well done and interesting take on the series, much like Kirby. I'll definitely be watching the US version in the future.

Ramirez said:
Perhaps these cartoons are edited because their for kids ya know,not 25 year old men :p
This is too true. But you'll hurt someone's feelings with that statement. You'll also offend someone if you say "99% of anime is complete and utter ass."

Belfast

Ramirez said:
Perhaps these cartoons are edited because their for kids ya know,not 25 year old men :p

We've been over this a million times. Yes, they target kids, but does that mean they have to be dumbed down for them? No. End of story.

NotMSRP

One of the reasons why numerous children are turning to anime is because it's more sophisticated compared to American cartoons; many are turned off by the obvious dumbing down in American cartoons.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
Ramirez said:
Yes they are "kids shows" in a sense, but wouldn't the need to drastically edit the show work against your point?

One Piece's ideal demographical is Toonami on Cartoon Network. Not exactly an older audience, but not a little kid audience either. There's way too much blood and way too many adult themes and situations for this to be a true kids show in the US. Which is why it's being put through a meat grinder.

And some of these edits are COMPLETELY unnecessary. What justification is there for scrapping One Piece's excellent orchestra (or predominantly orchestra) soundtrack for a new hyper-generic Casio keyboard created soundtrack? That's not an age thing. That's a complete lack of respect for the original product.

Priz said:
Have you seen this page?

http://www.geocities.co.jp/Playtown-Knight/6670/my_micron/armada-legend.html

Same episode... Japanese version on the left, Cartoon Network's "updated" version on the right.

Whoa...WTF is up with those scenes?! Those aren't edits, they've COMPLETELY redrawn characters!! I don't understand...why? I really hated the art in Armada, I just couldn't stand how it was drawn, but I had no idea the jp version actually was DIFFERENT ARTWORK. That's a downright fucking shame.

Top Bottom