• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Onion interviews Billy Corgan

Status
Not open for further replies.

Diablos

FMT: DIA > *

Whitey, the :lol after "shut up" implies that I was laughing. Not upset.
I enjoy our little debates. It's fun. Take me off ignore list, Diablos am fuck sad total. :(((((
distantmantra said:
White Man and many others trash one of my favorite bands, and I don't let it get to me. Diablos, you'd do well to learn how to do the same.
You're a sellout, man. A SELLOUT!!!

TRAITOR! :p

Macam

Banned
FrenchMovieTheme said:
on another note, am i the only one who thinks the future embrace has some awesome songs on it, and is (overall) a great record?

No, I love it as well. I actually interpreted M.O.H. a completely different way than with what Corgan had in mind, so to me, that track has some extra layered depth. But honestly, I love the record across the board: it has a good set of what I'd dub "movers" (songs like Walking Shade, M.O.H., A100), it has a good set of slower, stripped down songs (Strayz, Sorrows, Now and Then), and a good set of tracks that fall in between. To me, it mixes elements of Adore, namely the ambience and spacey guitars, alongside more Machina styled elements (which I enjoyed despite the negativity it gets), and with a good chunk of just new flavors thrown in. To Love Somebody has grown on me tremendously of late, as I love the weight the song now carries. DIA, despite featuring Jimmy on there, is probably one of my least favorite tracks, alongside Strayz. DIA feels a tad closer to something I'd expect off Jimmy's album in a way really, just with stronger focus on guitars that kind of smother and bury the sound a bit more.

HokieJoe

ToxicAdam said:
It was a great explosion of music, maybe to never be duplicated again.

Nah, I wouldn't be pessimistic about it. People probably said the same thing after the 60's and the early 70's. Look at the bands that came out of that era:

Hendrix
Joplin
The Who
Rolling Stones
Led Zepplin
Beatles
Aerosmith
The Yardbirds- whose guitarists at various times comprised the following: Eric Clapton, Jeff Beck, and Jimmy Page

Diablos

Macam said:
No, I love it as well. I actually interpreted M.O.H. a completely different way than with what Corgan had in mind, so to me, that track has some extra layered depth. But honestly, I love the record across the board: it has a good set of what I'd dub "movers" (songs like Walking Shade, M.O.H., A100), it has a good set of slower, stripped down songs (Strayz, Sorrows, Now and Then), and a good set of tracks that fall in between. To me, it mixes elements of Adore, namely the ambience and spacey guitars, alongside more Machina styled elements (which I enjoyed despite the negativity it gets), and with a good chunk of just new flavors thrown in. To Love Somebody has grown on me tremendously of late, as I love the weight the song now carries. DIA, despite featuring Jimmy on there, is probably one of my least favorite tracks, alongside Strayz. DIA feels a tad closer to something I'd expect off Jimmy's album in a way really, just with stronger focus on guitars that kind of smother and bury the sound a bit more.

I think a lot of people hate DIA because it owes so much to My Bloody Valentine. You gotta listen closely for the song structure. It's meant to be buried. The song is not made strong by instruments playing independently of each other, but rather all swarming together happily with lots of noise thrown in. The only thing detached is the violin, but even that is kind of digitally warped into the mix. It's very MBV, just much more accessbile and up to date, I suppose (not nearly as groundbreaking, but Corgan wasn't trying to rip off Loveless, he's not stupid).

I still like Jimmy's album better though. P.S.A. is one of the coolest songs I've ever heard.

Macam

Banned
Diablos said:
I think a lot of people hate DIA because it owes so much to My Bloody Valentine. You gotta listen closely for the song structure. It's meant to be buried. The song is not made strong by instruments playing independently of each other, but rather all swarming together happily with lots of noise thrown in. The only thing detached is the violin, but even that is kind of digitally warped into the mix. It's very MBV, just much more accessbile and up to date, I suppose (not nearly as groundbreaking, but Corgan wasn't trying to rip off Loveless, he's not stupid).

I still like Jimmy's album better though. P.S.A. is one of the coolest songs I've ever heard.

I'm not familiar with MBV, save that they keep coming up as musical references and inspiration for artists, so I have no idea what the comparison is there. Still, I figure it's meant to be buried, and that's fine -- it's just a very distinctive type of sound within the album and it's not that I don't like it, I simply don't like it as much. It's certainly one of those instances where BC's voice is able to cut through and not get muddled in too much.

PSA does, in fact, rock. It's my favorite song off JCC, with Cranes of Prey following.

FrenchMovieTheme said:
on another note, am i the only one who thinks the future embrace has some awesome songs on it, and is (overall) a great record?

I stated this in another thread, but I love DIA and To Love Somebody. The rest of the album reminds me of demo material from Adore and Machina sessions.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom