• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Opinions on Logitech Z-680

Status
Not open for further replies.

Neo_ZX

It's the year of the speaker for me! I'm very very close to purchasing this system. I want it mostly for the Line-In feature since Asus was retarded enough to have the SoundStorm audio share mic and line-in with the 5.1 setup (A7N8X-E DLX). I guess I'm still screwed with the mic but anyhow, I need to know how these speakers are, especially if you also have SoundStorm audio w/optical cable.

I also fail to see how you can concect up to 4 external devices as claimed on the Logitech site. I only see a line in, coax and an optical. Unless the headphone jack counts. LAME. I've also read a post saying the bass is overpowering even on the lowest setting.

So the purchasing debate right now is:
-Z-680s
-Klipsch 5.1
-Get another set of cheaper speakers and an Audigy 2 ZS (open to suggestions)

Z680-pic_1b.jpg

Z680-pic_2b.jpg

Z680-pic_3b.jpg

An awesome gallery HERE

Tainty

get the klipsch 5.1

The tweeter and cone are seperated which gives the cone a cleaner tone, the tweeters are a polymer and horn design instead of an aluminum cone which makes the treble much more smooth and pleasing, and the sub has two 8" woofers instead of one allowing for richer and deeper bass.

Oh yeah, and

Logitech:
Freq response: 35Hz - 20kHz (BOO)

Klipsch:
Freq response: 25Hz - 20kHz (YAY)

BE-A-U-TII-FULL
ultra51_2_large.jpg

Neo_ZX

The only thing about the Klipsch is the price difference might be a bit steep and I don't know if my place can order them. I can get the Logitechs for $320 Canadian but not sure about the Klipsch.

What kind of inputs do they have?

My advice would depend on what decoding you need. If you need DD, DTS and DPLII then you need the z 680s for the price, otherwise the klipsch ultra 5.1s though pricey are far superior. Also the GMX5.1 lack DTS decoding so that is a knock on those.

Neo_ZX

Hmm the construction of the Klipschs look much better on the cone. No glue showing anywhere. I'll call and check how much they are.

Never knew there were Monsoon computer speakers.

One other thing however - I plan to hook up my PS2/DC to the speakers but would it make any difference going directly to the speakers as opposed to passing it through the line-in of the sound card?

NeoZX most PS2 games utilize either DPLII or DTS. Both these require a decoder for you to utilize surround sound. I don't know what Sound Card you have or plan to get, but none usually have decoding. If you got a Creative Audigy 2ZS Platinum for ~180 that had DD and DTS decoding, but not DPLII. The Klipsch 5.1 Ultras have no built in decoding whatsoever. So unless you already have a DD/DTS/DPLII receiver then you won't get the most out of your system.

Neo_ZX

Well from the Logitech site:

Don't forget the built-in Dolby Digital and DTS hardware decoding. Connect the Z-680 directly to a PC sound card, Xbox™, PlayStation®2, DVD player, satellite receiver or other Dolby-ready source and get a true surround experience. You can also get 5.1 surround from a stereo input through the advanced Dolby Pro Logic® II system. Best of all, you can connect up to four audio sources simultaneously, while accessing each one at the touch of a button.

Feel earth-shaking bass with 500 watts RMS of thunderous power
Enjoy true 5.1 digital sound with your movies and games with built-in Dolby Digital and DTS hardware decoding
Create 5.1 surround sound from stereo music, movies, and games with Dolby Pro Logic II
Simultaneously connect four audio sources, including PCs, game consoles and DVD or CD players.
Be in total command with the Digital SoundTouch Control Center and wireless remote
Know that you're getting the truest possible sound quality with THX certification

and my retailer isn't authorized to sell Klipsch so I guess I have to settle for the Logitechs. Save the difference for a sound card.

Grimlock

One thing to keep in mind about the Logitechs is that they do have a known hissing problem if the speakers are on but are not processing a signal. On the ones with the older firmware (1.0.3), it's fairly noticeble, but even the revised firmware has it just a bit. I have a set with the older firmware (got it on clearance for $150) and a friend with a newer set, and the hissing doesn't really bother either of us.

Neo_ZX

I'm not overly concerned about hissing. The combined power of all 7 of my computer fans will defeat Hissman.

I'm kinda disappointed I couldn't get the Klipsch though. They are RIDICULOUSLY expensive at $450 for the 5.1s. The 2.1s were $300 at Best Buy.
If my place could have ordered them I would have only had to pay 7% opposed to 15% tax which might have been the difference in the purchasing decision.

I even checked eBay.ca but nothing. :(

teepo

i have the z680 but my friend fucked up the center speaker by pushing down the piece of paper thing that moves when the speakers are playing sound so sometiems it makes weird noises when i have it at full blast which is rarely.

Memles

Rather than post an identical thread but with a single number change, I'm looking into the Z-640s for some light Dorm Room Movies/Games use. If my sound card had the capability, I'll grab myself a set of the Z-640s, but if it doesn't I won't think twice about it. There's $45 I can save there...maybe more if I can pull off a discount.

Really, it'll come down to the sound card issue...not knowing what the sound card will be (Getting a Laptop as part of University Tuition) I can't exactly ask for opinions on what to buy, sadly.

Good luck with the Z-680s.

tedtropy

$50/hour, but no kissing on the lips and colors must be pre-separated
teepo said:
i have the z680 but my friend fucked up the center speaker by pushing down the piece of paper thing that moves when the speakers are playing sound so sometiems it makes weird noises when i have it at full blast which is rarely.

And this friend still lives?!

teh_pwn

"Saturated fat causes heart disease as much as Brawndo is what plants crave."
I own the Klipsch 5.1 Ultra model. My friends/roomates have logitechs.

Logitechs will make more bass, but it's not as clean. And the Klipsch's highs compleley own the logitechs.

"I'm kinda disappointed I couldn't get the Klipsch though. They are RIDICULOUSLY expensive at $450 for the 5.1s. The 2.1s were $300 at Best Buy.
If my place could have ordered them I would have only had to pay 7% opposed to 15% tax which might have been the difference in the purchasing decision."

Do you live in the US? I just saw the 5.1s at best buy for $350.

Here's where I got mine (best buy was $400 then, and I was working in a state without online sales tax, so win win):

http://www.newegg.com/app/viewproductdesc.asp?description=36-119-106&DEPA=0

El Papa

The 680s hissing problem has been addressed by Logitech a while ago, they've fixed it. I wanted the Klipsch speakers but the Z680s decoding capabilities are why too tempting since I plan on hooking up my DVD player, GC and PS2 to them.

Shompola

Banned
Grimlock said:
One thing to keep in mind about the Logitechs is that they do have a known hissing problem if the speakers are on but are not processing a signal. On the ones with the older firmware (1.0.3), it's fairly noticeble, but even the revised firmware has it just a bit. I have a set with the older firmware (got it on clearance for $150) and a friend with a newer set, and the hissing doesn't really bother either of us.

hissing really isn't that big of a deal and is most likely attributed to either the current in the house or the transformator in the device. It can be fixed pretty easily with those current filters if needed. I for example have a lot of interference in my house and some of the side effects are weird white dot lines on my tv wich aren't really visible unless you look for them from very close. So anyway nothing to worry about as you allready have mentioned.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom