• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Orange juice or apple juice?

I prefer

• Apple juice

Votes: 48 33.1%
  • Orange juice

Votes: 97 66.9%

• Total voters

badblue

freshly pressed apples?
Technically that would be apple cider. The pressings need to be filtered for it to be Apple Juice, but there are some exceptions.

A little rhyme I use to remember is "If it's tangy and brown your in cider town. If it's clear and yellow, you got juice there fellow"

But then again I'm up in Canada, so the whole things flip flopped from what you may be familiar with.

cormack12

Gold Member
Technically that would be apple cider. The pressings need to be filtered for it to be Apple Juice, but there are some exceptions.

A little rhyme I use to remember is "If it's tangy and brown your in cider town. If it's clear and yellow, you got juice there fellow"

But then again I'm up in Canada, so the whole things flip flopped from what you may be familiar with.
Ned?

7R7EhdLEgV-qeRiNSu0s7aS5ZvE=.gif

Trilobit

If I had to drink it every day I'd choose orange juice as I like the taste and it's delicious when it's a good brand. But if I'm at a gathering and I can only pick one it'd be apple juice as it's so insanely sweet and good. I think it was quite rare for me to drink apple juice as a kid so I always light up when I see for example a hotel offering it with their breakfast.

Also, asking someone if they're drinking pee never gets old.
apple-juice-glass-isolated-white-apple-juice-glass-isolated-white-background-153411765.jpg

Liljagare

As apples are in season here, I am chugging fresh cold pressed apples. Oranges are never in season here up in the cold north, so, only get to enjoy them when I visit Spain. I hate buying imported stuff at the supermarket.

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
Bad orange juice < any apple juice < good orange juice

Doom85

I never found the taste of oranges or orange juice for that matter appealing. So apple juice “wins” even though apple juice itself is average at best.

jason10mm

Gold Member
Orange juice because apple juice is little more than the natural worlds version of sugar water.
Thats why in God's Country (aka the pre-US US) apple juice was just the foundation for cider, the TRUE final form of apples :p

I'll take a crisp apple cider any day!

Melon Husk

I'd rather drink orange juice than eat oranges but I'd rather eat apples than drink apple juice

Concentrate or fresh pulp, doesn't matter

Last edited:

calistan

What's all this 'apple cider' nonsense? Apple juice is apple juice, whether it's filtered or otherwise. Cider is the alcoholic drink you make by fermenting apple juice.

Here's a photo of apple juice being collected at our local pub's apple day last year. People donate apples from their gardens, and everything gets mashed up and pressed. It tastes delicious like this, if you can forget about the slugs and wasps you've seen go into the machine, and even better a few weeks later when it becomes cider.

jfxSlfX.jpeg

Tams

Ya'll weird. Apple juice is far superior, even though orange juice is great.

Passionfruit is where it's really at though.

It's much simpler here in the UK.

Cider is alcholic; apple juice is not.

I love apple juice, but for some reason cider makes me very bloated and gives me a very nasty hangover.

JCK75

What's all this 'apple cider' nonsense? Apple juice is apple juice, whether it's filtered or otherwise. Cider is the alcoholic drink you make by fermenting apple juice.

Here's a photo of apple juice being collected at our local pub's apple day last year. People donate apples from their gardens, and everything gets mashed up and pressed. It tastes delicious like this, if you can forget about the slugs and wasps you've seen go into the machine, and even better a few weeks later when it becomes cider.

jfxSlfX.jpeg

Apples put through a press is Apple Cider, the alcholic version is hard cider
that cider being filtered until nothing is left but a pee looking sickeningly sweet liquid with no real flavor left is Apple Juice.

Muffdraul

I regularly have oj with salty breakfasts. Omelet, peanut butter toast, sausage & egg McMuffin... goddamn delicious.

I have no idea when was the last time I had apple juice. Could be decades. Yecch.

Last edited:

JCK75

You saying that does not change what you have to look for in a store if you want to find one or the other.
Cider is the cloudy brown deliciousness, Hard Cider is the alcholic beverage and Juice is the nasty sugar piss they give to toddlers.

Dural

l8nl9VA.jpeg

As a kid, who didn't love these little round Martinelli's apple juice bottles?

I love OJ though, especially fresh squeezed with some pulp.

Mulled apple cider is also great, I make it every Thanksgiving and Christmas.

calistan

You saying that does not change what you have to look for in a store if you want to find one or the other.
Cider is the cloudy brown deliciousness, Hard Cider is the alcholic beverage and Juice is the nasty sugar piss they give to toddlers.
I know, I was just being a twat. The hard/soft/regular cider thing is a particularly annoying Americanism (like calling pizzas pies). I've never found good proper (hard) cider in the US, and if you do ask for hard cider people think you're some kind of raging alcoholic.

Here (England) they might mention that apple juice is pressed if it's a posh brand. Cider is always alcoholic though. There's also scrumpy, which is the madman stuff that comes straight from the farm. Farm workers used to be paid partly in cider. There are probably more cider makers in my little corner of the country than there are in the entire US.

Roxkis_ii

Man, this was a hard one. I love both orange and apple juice and drink them weekly. But orange juice make me have to go to the bathroom and so apple juice is slightly above it.

I'm trying to slow down on juices and put more love into my body (and drink more water).

lem0n

There's a lot of apple juice slander in this thread, and frankly, it's pissing me off. Martinelli's Apple Juice is the nectar of the gods and I will fight each of you orange juice cucks to the death about it.

Dural

I know, I was just being a twat. The hard/soft/regular cider thing is a particularly annoying Americanism (like calling pizzas pies). I've never found good proper (hard) cider in the US, and if you do ask for hard cider people think you're some kind of raging alcoholic.

Here (England) they might mention that apple juice is pressed if it's a posh brand. Cider is always alcoholic though. There's also scrumpy, which is the madman stuff that comes straight from the farm. Farm workers used to be paid partly in cider. There are probably more cider makers in my little corner of the country than there are in the entire US.

Within 15 miles of my house there are probably 6 or 7 apple orchards that all make their own cider that they submit to a state competition. One of them has won several times. I don't think you realize just how many apple orchards there are in the US and pretty much all of them make their own cider.

calistan

Within 15 miles of my house there are probably 6 or 7 apple orchards that all make their own cider that they submit to a state competition. One of them has won several times. I don't think you realize just how many apple orchards there are in the US and pretty much all of them make their own cider.
New England / New York area? I was going by personal/anecdotal experience of rarely seeing cider on sale in US bars and restaurants, but I haven't visited for ages and things may well be different these days.

From the slightly outdated stats that google will give me, the cider market in the UK is approximately 8-10 times the value of the US one, and obviously a much smaller population. Explains a lot about Brits, I suppose.

JCK75

Hard Cider is not bad I just don't prefer it over beer.. but I'm really big on fresh ciders, North Carolina coast just has farmers markets with peach, blueberry, blackberry, etc.. and that stuff is amazing.

Dural

New England / New York area? I was going by personal/anecdotal experience of rarely seeing cider on sale in US bars and restaurants, but I haven't visited for ages and things may well be different these days.

From the slightly outdated stats that google will give me, the cider market in the UK is approximately 8-10 times the value of the US one, and obviously a much smaller population. Explains a lot about Brits, I suppose.

Northern Illinois/Southern Wisconsin (I'm 5 miles from Wisconsin border). There are just so many orchards around here and they're opening this upcoming weekend. It's always such a big deal as everyone wants to go get apple cider donuts and fresh cider. Going to the apple orchard in the fall is like a tradition around here. I wouldn't doubt my wife stops this week on her way home at the orchard by her work that has won for their cider, then we go to the orchard closer to our house that has the best apple cider donuts you'll ever eat (they serve them fresh still hot). Some orchards make an apple mash alcohol like this.

Paltheos

So much apple juice smearing in this topic. It's delicious, sweet, and smooth. There's nothing to hate about it, and the closer you get to cider, the better it gets. Bad versions can be overloaded with Vitamin C, ruining the flavor some, but that's about it.

Top Bottom