• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ottawa (Canada) threatening hate charges against those who boycott Israel

Status
Not open for further replies.

Silexx

There is no "ruling" here. It's a spokesperson for a cabinet member threatening to use existing laws to charge groups. It's a stupid, dangerous argument, but it's not going to even happen.

Good luck finding an investigative unit willing to even take on such a blatantly political investigation and lay such a charge, or a prosecutor willing to proceed with it.

This is dangerous political posturing, but I'd lay real money down that none of these groups ever see a charge.

Exactly. Also an important tidbit from the article:

While the federal government certainly has the authority to assign priorities, such as pursuing certain types of hate speech, to the RCMP, any resulting prosecution would require an assent from a provincial attorney general.

So the federal government can threaten all they want, but nothing is ever going to happen unless they get support from the provinces which, of course, is never going to happen.

Ugh why not against every other country we are allied with too? Why does Israel get special fucking consideration?

Israel is a just another country that we have relations with. I seriously hope there is no religious reason behind this type of thinking.

Wouldn't the last boycott against Apartheid South Africa also be considered hate?

Yes, if we look at it from this perspective.

This is basically a way to silent any critique, so lets say the Globe and mail published a not so friendly article on Israel it would be "Hate Speech"

Utterly embarrassing.

I'd say "just five more months, just five more months..." but I'm not wholly convinced our problems will actually get solved by the election. Please prove me wrong though, Canada.

Based Harper protecting hard working Canadians and their families again. If he's not going to do it who will?

CANADIAN GOVERNMENT SAYS FREE SPEECH IS FOR OFFENDING MUSLIMS — NOT OPPOSING ISRAEL
https://firstlook.org/theintercept/...threatens-prosecute-advocates-israel-boycott/
Canadian Prime Minister Stephen Harper, January 8, 2015, on Charlie Hebdo shootings:

“When a trio of hooded men struck at some of our most cherished democratic principles, freedom of expression, freedom of the press, they assaulted democracy everywhere . . . They have declared war on anybody who does not think and act exactly as they wish they would think and act . . . . they have declared war on any country, like ourselves, that values freedom, openness and tolerance.”

CBC, today:

“Ottawa threatening hate charges against those who boycott Israel”

The hypocrisy is strong with this government.

Ryuukan

His support for Israel also does not appear to be for religious reasons, despite him being an evangelical Christian.

Maybe he is just an Israeli otaku.

Photo from Harper's desk

Om5xsGb.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom