• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Outdoors Unleashed Africa 3D |OT| Chain killing to extinction!

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
ibeXip6bQBzvAO.png

Platform - Nintendo 3DS eShop
Price - $3.99
Release Date - August 30th 2012
Single Player
Developed by Teyon and published by Mastiff

Outdoors Unleashed Africa 3D is an African safari that pits the player against a wide variety of game including Lions, Wildebeest and Elephants! The Game features the thrilling hunting experience that is Mastiff Outdoor Action and 3D that brings the world up close and personal like never before. Outdoors Unleashed is filled with predators ready to turn the hunter into the hunted at any moment! Features

• Full, Immersive 3D
• Selection of over 30 weapons
• Gameplay spanning the African Wilderness
• Hundreds of achievements, medals and trophies to be earned
• The best in real world equipment including items from Wiley X, Weaver Optics, Magnum and more

Must see trailer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dXPrk3XKwoo
Official Site: http://www.teyon.com/games/outdoors-unleashed-africa-3d/

iqT4f4lAzOkr6.png
ibsnpKQqUe1FTU.png
iHTugw03NayvZ.png

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
Not sure whether to laugh or cry.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
This game reminded me about the Animals unleashed in Tokyo game. What was the name? I also should finally finish Africa/Hakuna Matata, while I am at it.

Currygan

at last, for christ's sake
like I said in the Downloads thread, this shit is fucking disgusting. What kind of horrible human being thinks this would make a good videogame? There's also a trophy room, brilliant, so you can check what rank in the piece of shit scale you've reached

fucking awful

tuffy

This is the sort of game that's bound to offend largely because we, as players, like to have some justification for our actions. It's okay to shoot a lot of evil space aliens, or evil terrorists, or evil Nazis because they're evil and could use a good shooting.

But gunning down a bunch of endangered animals is another thing entirely, even though the game has an infinite supply of fake white rhinos for you to use as targets. It's one step removed from hunting kittens, puppies, and pink anthropomorphic ponies, and that makes players uncomfortable.

So even though it looks very cheap and crappy, hopefully it sells poorly enough that the developer doesn't subject us to any more titles like it.

Toma

like I said in the Downloads thread, this shit is fucking disgusting. What kind of horrible human being thinks this would make a good videogame? There's also a trophy room, brilliant, so you can check what rank in the piece of shit scale you've reached

fucking awful

While I dont think this game is interesting in any way, what is your position on FPS? Shooting animals in both genres, and both have trophies/Achievements for reaching kill scores.

This is the sort of game that's bound to offend largely because we, as players, like to have some justification for our actions. It's okay to shoot a lot of evil space aliens, or evil terrorists, or evil Nazis because they're evil and could use a good shooting.

But gunning down a bunch of endangered animals is another thing entirely, even though the game has an infinite supply of fake white rhinos for you to use as targets. It's one step removed from hunting kittens, puppies, and pink anthropomorphic ponies, and that makes players uncomfortable.

So even though it looks very cheap and crappy, hopefully it sells poorly enough that the developer doesn't subject us to any more titles like it.

Don't know where my mindset is going wrong here, but shouldnt be shooting at people be "more" disgusting than shooting at animals? Theoretically? Not that I mind all that much as a "player" tbh. Just curious about why people think this is worse than shooting people.

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
Totally surprised that Nintendo allowed this title.

tuffy

Don't know where my mindset is going wrong here, but should be shooting at people be "more" disgusting than shooting at animals? Theoretically? Not that I mind all that much as a "player" tbh. Just curious.
It should, of course, but games typically make humans Bad Guys that are trying to do Bad Things, so shooting them is given some moral justification. Most players wouldn't feel comfortable about a game where you're tasked with blasting a bunch of unarmed orphans, for instance, even if the gameplay is exactly the same. That's why the content of this title feels like poor taste.

Currygan

While I dont think this game is interesting in any way, what is your position on FPS? Shooting animals in both genres, and both have trophies/Achievements for reaching kill scores.

well what's the purpose of killing African fauna? In FPS you're agains people who want to shoot you back or dominate the world. Hippos don't want to dominate, they want to live peacefully in their territory.

While this game is disturbing on a number of levels, it got me thinking that a 3D port of the Lost World light gun game could be great.

My favorite hunting cover ever featured a hunter being attacked by a giant bear, mountain lion, wolf and a moose. But the hunter was pointing his gun at the bird flying in the air.

It was gold.

42618d1276094906-field-stream-total-outdoorsman-challenge-xbox-360-game-field-stream-total-outdoorsman-challenge.jpg

Toma

It should, of course, but games typically make humans Bad Guys that are trying to do Bad Things, so shooting them is given some moral justification. Most players wouldn't feel comfortable about a game where you're tasked with blasting a bunch of unarmed orphans, for instance, even if the gameplay is exactly the same. That's why the content of this title feels like poor taste.

well what's the purpose of killing African fauna? In FPS you're agains people who want to shoot you back or dominate the world. Hippos don't want to dominate, they want to live peacefully in their territory.

So that CoD:MW Airport scene was in bad taste then? Also.. I mean if you play FPS MP, technically one side are the bad guys, so shouldnt then feel one side bad about killing "good" guys? And if you keep that aside, both sides are killing humans in an MP mode, where "alignment" usually doesnt matter. Its just killing for killing's sake, like in the animal hunting game.

Just for the record: I dont mind FPS at all , but the reasoning has gotten me a bit curious since I dont see too much of a difference here.

Looks pretty good. This reminds me, has anyone played Deer Drive Unlimited on the 3DS? At first blush it looked like your standard hunting game but on the back of the box there's a picture of a T-Rex:

A1UhE_RCYAAwx3D.jpg

This was going to be a (budget) retail game previously, surprising to see it go eShop only instead!

Sort of makes me want more rail gunners (HOTD, Time Crisis, Virtua Cop, etc) on 3DS. I never bought Point Blank DS, was it any good?

Toma

This was going to be a (budget) retail game previously, surprising to see it go eShop only instead!

Sort of makes me want more rail gunners (HOTD, Time Crisis, Virtua Cop, etc) on 3DS. I never bought Point Blank DS, was it any good?

Nope. I guess it depends on how you define "any" good, but if you arent completely desperate for a Point Blank fix, nope.

Currygan

So that CoD:MW Airport scene was in bad taste then? Also.. I mean if you play FPS MP, technically one side are the bad guys, so shouldnt then feel one side bad about killing "good" guys? And if you keep that aside, both sides are killing humans in an MP mode, where "alignment" usually doesnt matter. Its just killing for killing's sake, like in the animal hunting game. You might say that the animals arent "attacking", but would that be such a great difference?

Just for the record: I dont mind FPS at all , but the reasoning has gotten me a bit curious since I dont see too much of a difference here.

the airport scene was awful indeed, because it was gratuitous, cheap shock value to get some headlines despite the bollocks devs kept saying about context and storyline. About the multiplayer thing, it's the kill or be killed fundamental that makes a difference here, which is crucial. In RTCW you were playing as the Nazi, but noone cared about it, not even my jewish friends in my clan who were playing on that side because the mp was so good in that game. This is a bit of an extreme example, anyway, because I wouldn't like playing many games as a Nazi

Toma

About the multiplayer thing, it's the kill or be killed fundamental that makes a difference here, which is crucial.

So you'd say that the game was fine as soon as animals get to hurt you too?

Apparently, thats what animals can do in this game, though. Just technically, assume the attack means a life and death difference. Like animals getting you to game over if they attack you a few times, not unlike the MP FPS component. Where is the difference then? You kill so as not to be killed.

tuffy

So that CoD:MW Airport scene was in bad taste then?
I've never played the title, so you'd have to be more specific. But it's one thing to use a scene of slaughtering innocent people for dramatic effect so as to make the player purposefully uncomfortable, and another thing to do so by accident. The tone and context matter, I think.
Also.. I mean if you play FPS MP, technically one side are the bad guys, so shouldnt then feel one side bad about killing "good" guys? And if you keep that aside, both sides are killing humans in an MP mode, where "alignment" usually doesnt matter. Its just killing for killing's sake, like in the animal hunting game. You might say that the animals arent "attacking", but would that be such a great difference?
Each side being on some sort of equal footing does make a difference. If one side always had rocket launchers and the other side had no way to fight back, I don't think players would feel quite the same way about how the matches would play out (besides being a pretty crappy game). Even though the games are just as fake and nobody's actually getting killed, there's little satisfaction in gunning down a bunch of fake things we don't feel are deserving of it.

Toma

Each side being on some sort of equal footing does make a difference. If one side always had rocket launchers and the other side had no way to fight back, I don't think players would feel quite the same way about how the matches would play out (besides being a pretty crappy game). Even though the games are just as fake and nobody's actually getting killed, there's little satisfaction in gunning down a bunch of fake things we don't feel are deserving of it.

As I stated above: So it would be fine if you would fight animals who can kill you? There seems to be a super thin line for you between a game which allows easy kills and a game where the others can fight back. Sort of seems to me that an "easy" mode in CoD would be in bad taste then, whereas the "Normal" mode with enemies normally fighting back would be fine?

I am famously known for strange comparisons, but I hope you get what I mean.

tuffy

As I stated above: So it would be fine if you would fight animals who can kill you? There seems to be a super thin line for you between a game which allows easy kills and a game where the others can fight back. Sort of seems to me that an "easy" mode in CoD would be in bad taste then, whereas the "Normal" mode with enemies normally fighting back would be fine?
If the game were populated mostly by lions, tigers and bears (oh my!) that'll eat you if you fail, it wouldn't be quite so offensive as gunning down a bunch of meerkats. It's kill-or-be-killed mentality at work. But developers could make the same gameplay even less offensive by justifying it with some backstory ("You're stuck in the wilderness and must escape deadly animals in order to reach civilization!"). These framing devices matter because of how they set the tone.

Currygan

So you'd say that the game was fine as soon as animals get to hurt you too?

Apparently, thats what animals can do in this game, though. Just technically, assume the attack means a life and death difference. Like animals getting you to game over if they attack you a few times, not unlike the MP FPS component. Where is the difference then? You kill so as not to be killed.

let's put it this way: what's your purpose of doing so? Why are you there in Africa, in their territory? Why are they attacking you? Why are you slaughtering them?

Top Bottom