• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Outernauts |OT| Out of this world, in your browser

Toppot

vTLxC.jpg

OFFICIALLY IN OPEN BETA I assume it will be in 'beta' forever as FB games often are.

7OD6c.png

In Outernauts, Insomniac brings its rich console development experience to Facebook, delivering a deep story with real strategy as you explore the galaxy capturing and training beasts for combat. As a member of United Earth’s elite Outernaut force, you’ll encounter both friends and foes as you uncover the riddle behind the mysterious “ancients” while battling pirates and evil corporations seeking to control the galaxy.

HgZdr.png

Have a Facebook account and go here in your browser: http://apps.facebook.com/outernauts/
(If the game runs slow for you click on the
6oNLQ.png
(settings/options) on the bottom right and play in fullscreen mode)

M9RnD.png

The game is free to play, but you can buy in-game money to buy upgrades, energy and items to help you on your adventure

MJJw9.png

fPFDk.png

Launch Trailer
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YQwo3bpk2X4

Reveal Trailer
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gd9iQMHWSoU

G4 Preview
http://www.g4tv.com/videos/59422/outernauts-hands-on-preview/

vpa9A.png

Imagine if Zynga made Pokemon in Space but did a really good job of it.

V_Ben

Banned
Played a bit of it, its decent. If they release it as an iOS app with Facebook integration i'd play a lot more of it :p

8byte

Banned
Been playing for quite a while in the Closed beta, sitting with a handful of lvl 30 beasts. PvP is fun, missions are semi-repetitive. Art is fantastic (LOVE Creaturebox).

Toppot

I really need to remember to play it more xD I run out of energy then forget about it. And ain't no way I'm paying for energy.

My sad collection of beats, and showing the attacks screen, rather than PP per move like pokemon the game has pp/Stamina which can be spent on any move. Beasts also heal over time, or you can use items/spend in-game cash to make them heal faster. Your moves also level up the more you use them.

rVIVh.png

creid

After listening to the Full Moon Show about it a while ago I thought I'd give it a try, but I couldn't play for more than a few minutes. The art style does nothing for me, and if I wanted to play a game like this I'd just play Pokemon.

8byte

Banned
I didn't know the game was wide open now, just sent out a bunch of invites. The game is MUCH better with just 3 other people, resources aren't hard to come by anymore. I also really like that they give you the option to NOT blow up everyone's news feed.

bumpkin

So torn... On one hand, I've always loved Insomniac's games; even their PSOne bastard child, Disruptor. Not much else to say about Ratchet & Clank other than they were always ace. But this... I just don't know. I have been fundamentally against "social games" since the day they infested Facebook (and my request list) like cockroaches. Still, something with a Pokemon twist from a company whose games I enjoy is a really hard sell.

BioHazard

To be blunt and succinct: Does this game suck like all FB games, i.e. to get item you must: pay, or spam all your friends all the time to get them to join?

Toppot

To be blunt and succinct: Does this game suck like all FB games, i.e. to get item you must: pay, or spam all your friends all the time to get them to join?
Yes it does, and its the worst bit about the game. Second being it's a complex game built in flash and so can run like ass on a normal computer/laptop, which seems odd if they are going casual because it needs to run on as many devices as possible. Not to mention that if they are going for more traditional gamers they aren't going to come back to a game they have to stop playing every 15 minutes while they wait 30 mins for energy to refill or beasts to heal. Just because the game has a story and more depth in game mechanics than normal FB games. Third worst thing being a lot of the beasts look ugly and I wouldn't want them as 'pets'

If they had fleshed out the planets/levels more and ditched the FB business model/mechanics. I think they could've sold it on PSN for $15 with expansion packs down the line for more planets/quests/levels (Like borderlands). I'd of seen this doing well as a PlayStation Pokemon thing.

Played through the tutorial and used up the rest of my energy last night. It's kinda cool. It could definitely spam your newsfeed a lot though; you do anything in the game and it offers to post about it. Mechanically, it seems like a pretty well-done Pokemon clone. I'll have to see how it is on a day-to-day basis now that the tutorial is over.

From what I've played, it's definitely what you're describing. I got bored very quickly, and the begining wasn't that great either with all the unnecessary tutorial stuff.

Figboy79

Aftershock LA
Just completed the tutorial sections. I like the look of the game, and the collecting monsters mechanics, but I've never been a big fan of premium games. I can see myself coming back to the game every few weeks or so, just to toy around with it on lunch breaks or something.

I think it would've been a cool PSN/Vita title, though. Just something to mess around with on the bus ride to work.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
A shameless ripoff of Pokemon, but it's fun and I like the artstyle. One thing:

How do I get more energy? I played for like 10 minutes and ran out. I saw an option to pay real money for it (LOL) or to wait a certain amount of time (though it regenerates at such a slow pace...) but are those the only two options? If I can only play for like 10 minutes each day, then that would totally kill my mood to play the game.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion

How do I get more energy? I played for like 10 minutes and ran out. I saw an option to pay real money for it (LOL) or to wait a certain amount of time (though it regenerates at such a slow pace...) but are those the only two options? If I can only play for like 10 minutes each day, then that would totally kill my mood to play the game.

Welcome to facebook games.

Toppot

If you go back to the game every 40 or so minutes it will have refilled from waiting

Other than that you can get it by:
Helping out on friends worlds
Buy it (LOL is right)
Get it as a random drop from actions
Make it if you have a Laboratory
By levelling up your character
Or by asking friends for it

Typical FB crap I'm afriad, as I've said above it is the games biggest weakness.

If you like the art style you may want to support the artists Kickstarter they have going. It is a book of their non-insomniac work (They work for Insomniac and do other illustration on the side aswell.)
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1501595172/creaturebox-the-monster-volume
They are well past target. I recommend the $15 tier, gets you pdf versions of all their past books, just not the new stuff.

Saw this thread, and just happened to go over to Penny-Arcade.

Today's comic is about this game, echoing some of the sentiments here (Energy, LOL).

Toppot

Wow, the interest in this game has already died? That was fast.
Got to remember this is a FB game and not a retail game. FB games are about a slow surge rather than massive day one interest then a slow decline. Once more bugs and tweaks are made I assume EA will start to push adverts for it in their Playfish games on FB. The game is competent enough that if they did a big marketing push it would do quite well.

Saw this thread, and just happened to go over to Penny-Arcade.

Today's comic is about this game, echoing some of the sentiments here (Energy, LOL).
http://penny-arcade.com/comic/2012/07/27

Quite funny. To be fair, the way they made it, if they didn't have energy you would go through it in a few days. I do think its a shame they took this good idea and made it into a FB game.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus

What became clear very quickly is that Gabriel is playing this type of game “wrong,” which is at least partly to blame for his energy drought: he’s not being sufficiently “social.” He’s not acting as a sales force, which would replenish this resource incrementally. He doesn’t use Facebook with any regularity; he’s going there to play. It’s not a diversion: that is what he actively wants to do. He wants to “buy” Outernauts, and there’s your bifurcation. Those of us who have lamented the death of arcades may now “celebrate” in earnest; they are well and truly back.

I guess this is how I play the game. I don't utilize any of the social aspects. If I did, I suppose I wouldn't be lacking in energy.

8byte

Banned
Yea, if you're playing this and not playing with friends, you won't really have any opportunity to enjoy it. It absolutely needs some social interaction to be tolerable. That said, I still have fun running through it for 15 minutes at a time, and PvP is really cool.

Toppot

Interesting interview with Insomniac CEO Ted Price and Outernaut Lead Designer Rowan Belden Clifford

http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articl...ings-strong-console-sensibilities-to-facebook

I have to say I disagree a lot that hardcore gamers will be brought over by PvP. It is asynchronous PvP, which means you have no actual contact with the person you are playing against, you simply fight a AI with another persons beasts and stats. So there is no human strategy and no 'I beat X!' satisfaction, you are beating a computer same as you have done for years in games, just with an extra social aspect that has been done before on FB.

And as stated before you have to be very FB social with friends playing the game to really enjoy it and progress without spending real money, and hardcore gamers are traditionally single player or realtime multiplayer. For example they offer 1200 in game money for $100? What average hardcore gamer is going to spend that on virtual money for a FB game?

I'm interested to see what they do with it and if this takes off (They were at least planning to do real world plushes of the starter pets) but i can't see it taking off or being as successful as say Monster Galaxy, it doesn't do much different, it just does the same stuff better.

EDIT: Took till Level 17 but Luproo finally evolved! One of the better looking beast IMO.

r14yE.png
XzYcu.png

A Human Becoming

More than a Member
Yea, if you're playing this and not playing with friends, you won't really have any opportunity to enjoy it. It absolutely needs some social interaction to be tolerable. That said, I still have fun running through it for 15 minutes at a time, and PvP is really cool.
None of my Facebook friends seem interested in playing it. I'm still having fun playing it in 5-15 minutes spurts. I wish it was real PVP though.

ZenaxPure

I guess this is how I play the game. I don't utilize any of the social aspects. If I did, I suppose I wouldn't be lacking in energy.

This is what's putting me off a bit. I wanted to try the game but I absolutely can not stand the whole play until energy depletes crap. No one I know cares about facebook games, and even if they did I just don't really have much interest in begging my "friends" for energy or whatever to keep playing.

It's a shame too since the game itself actually looks pretty cool.

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
Ok im trying it right now with my mom's facebook account.
The music is friggin' awesome and the art too.

like someone else said if they ditch the stupid facebook model and it was made into a PSN/XBLA game they would make bank...I am surprised more people haven't done this evolved capturing thing but I actually think, Fishing Cactus with Creature 4 will blow people away.

inky

What you guys who want to play need to do is create fake accounts, make a list here, add each other as friends and help each other out. Problem Solved =)

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
If you go back to the game every 40 or so minutes it will have refilled from waiting

Other than that you can get it by:
Helping out on friends worlds
Buy it (LOL is right)
Get it as a random drop from actions
Make it if you have a Laboratory
By levelling up your character
Or by asking friends for it

Typical FB crap I'm afriad, as I've said above it is the games biggest weakness.

If you like the art style you may want to support the artists Kickstarter they have going. It is a book of their non-insomniac work (They work for Insomniac and do other illustration on the side aswell.)
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1501595172/creaturebox-the-monster-volume
They are well past target. I recommend the $15 tier, gets you pdf versions of all their past books, just not the new stuff.
I wonder if someone will ever make a Facebook game that isn't actively hostile to someone actually trying to sit down and play it.

Raonak

Banned
I love pokemon, i love insomniac... but hearing that this has all the usual facebook nonsense is quite dissapointing.

Would love a PSN/XBLA version.

inky

I wonder if someone will ever make a Facebook game that isn't actively hostile to someone actually trying to sit down and play it.

I heard David Jaffe is trying (was it a FB game, or was it just "social" like iOS and such?). The worst part about it is that even guys like Insomniac feel like it is a requirement to actually do this kind of shit. I guess they really need the money or something, or they are assholes like that.

Toppot

Is there no way to get star gems in game?
No. You either pay for them, or you get your friends to help you out and by spreading it to more people they get more money from advertising and more chance someone will pay for the star gems. I bought 105 and even being careful with them they went very quickly =/

Bejewlled Blitz isn't actively hostile, you can play bejewelled all day without having to involve your friends, you infact work your scores together with them to win prices. You can earn coins from just playing or buy coins to get extra boosts to try and get a high score. No energy rubbish like their FB Zuma has.

I heard David Jaffe is trying (was it a FB game, or was it just "social" like iOS and such?). The worst part about it is that even guys like Insomniac feel like it is a requirement to actually do this kind of shit. I guess they really need the money or something, or they are assholes like that.
Given the cost of building a game of this quality and content I think they had to go with the standard model that works. They couldn't risk trying a new business model, lots of the experimentation in that area went on at the start of the FB revolution, now we have a set model that a majority uses. They aren't short of money, they keep on expanding and making games that sell well. They just know consoles won't be around for ever so they are preparing themselves to be able to expand into the mobile/social space.

Cindres

Vied for a tag related to cocks, so here it is.
Ohhh, this is the game PA did the comic on this week:
i-PxsXHhf-X3.jpg

Shame it's filled with typical Facebook game shite but I'm intrigued at the response it's getting, even from the gaming community, gonna give it a whirl.

A Human Becoming

More than a Member
No. You either pay for them, or you get your friends to help you out and by spreading it to more people they get more money from advertising and more chance someone will pay for the star gems. I bought 105 and even being careful with them they went very quickly =/
Well that's BS seeing some items can only be bought with star gems.
Toppot said:
Bejewlled Blitz isn't actively hostile, you can play bejewelled all day without having to involve your friends, you infact work your scores together with them to win prices. You can earn coins from just playing or buy coins to get extra boosts to try and get a high score. No energy rubbish like their FB Zuma has.
This is what my mom does. She's played for hours without paying a dime.

inky

Given the cost of building a game of this quality and content I think they had to go with the standard model that works. They couldn't risk trying a new business model, lots of the experimentation in that area went on at the start of the FB revolution, now we have a set model that a majority uses. They aren't short of money, they keep on expanding and making games that sell well. They just know consoles won't be around for ever so they are preparing themselves to be able to expand into the mobile/social space.

Even if it works (I know that it does) it's a shitty model and they should know better. I'm not closed to "new business models", and I give games on plenty of platforms a chance if I find them fair/rewarding, I am against these kinds of exploitative games in which every core aspect of the game is ingrained within the business model first, and the customer's enjoyment second.

ZenaxPure

Even if it works (I know that it does) it's a shitty model and they should know better. I'm not closed to "new business models", and I give games on plenty of platforms a chance if I find them fair/rewarding, I am against these kinds of exploitative games in which every core aspect of the game is ingrained within the business model first, and the customer's enjoyment second.

This is something that really annoys me too. I feel like a lot of games in this model are just people shouting for free money. I hate the idea of "spreading the word of a game" (through wall posts or whatever on FB) as a design decision. To me it just feels really dirty, a game should spread from word of mouth because it's fun to play, not because you need more energy or whatever to keep playing. It just feels manipulative, like I am just being used for easy money.

Nirolak is completely correct, it's hostile towards the people playing it.

Toppot

I agree it's not a model that I like but it does work. Insomniac at the end of the day are a business, a for profit organisation. Given the scope and budget I think this model was their only reliable option. Advertising alone would not work. I'm not closed to new business models, nor is anyone, they just had to use the model that is tried and tested.

I'm afraid that most facebook games run on an exploitative method, preying on those that invest more emotions, ownership or pride than others, my example of Bejewelled Blitz is a rare example because it came about so early before the success of this later business model, they could easily change it to this new model like PopCap did when they released Zuma, but bejewelled is very successful for them and they make a modest amount on it I assume and is a great tool for getting people over to their other games.

The customers enjoyment and making money can't be separated and placed like that. Customer experience is very important because they want to you invest in a game, care about it, take pride in your avatar etc to lead you up to paying money for it, then once you have paid money they want your experience to be even better, they want you to buy things to make the game more fun and engaging so that you get more invested and then want to spend more money.

I myself have paid about £6 for ingame money for this game, they have given me a few hours enjoyment and I think its fair that I pay for that. Its up to people to play it and do as they wish, you can go through the game completely by being social with friends, if you want a better easier experience then you have to pay for it, or you can play unsocial for free for a few hours and then be stuck because you will need friends or star gems to progress. Thats the choice, and people can choose not to take part in it at all.

As I have said before I think the forced social aspect is the biggest put off for 'hardcore gamers' a fair amount have no problem with microtransations in games like, League of Legends and Tribes Assent. This is after all an experiment for Insomniac and they will see how it goes and plays out. Everyone's feedback, good or bad is welcomed I'd imagine, so long as it is constructive.

inky

Insomniac at the end of the day are a business, a for profit organisation.

I wish we would stop using that as a defense for everything. I am an adult, I have a job, I know how money works. Yes, the market is struggling for big and small devs alike, but that doesn't mean we have to like it or accept it. Some might even call it unethical. Maybe that's going to far, I don't know.

You are right in the end, it's the people's choice, it's not even about the social part, I've enjoyed games with friends and family for a long time, everything from console games to phone stuff. I just wish companies in good standing like Insomniac wouldn't resort to these scummy and exploitative methods. If this was any other company doing their Pokemon rip off I wouldn't even bother. Leave it to the Zyngas of the world to be like that.

Toppot

I wish we would stop using that as a defense for everything. I am an adult, I have a job, I know how money works. Yes, the market is struggling for big and small devs alike, but that doesn't mean we have to like it or accept it. Some might even call it unethical. Maybe that's going to far, I don't know.

You are right in the end, it's the people's choice, it's not even about the social part, I've enjoyed games with friends and family for a long time, everything from console games to phone stuff. I just wish companies in good standing like Insomniac wouldn't resort to these scummy and exploitative methods. If this was any other company doing their Pokemon rip off I wouldn't even bother. Leave it to the Zyngas of the world to be like that.
I apologise if you thought that was condensing. I think I explained well enough why Insomniac used that business model at this time. Them being a business isn't a defence it is a reason, as a consumer i don't like it but from a business perspective it makes sense to do it the way they have. Though how they are trying to attract traditional gamers don't make complete sense to me.

It is the type of social and the way they force you to act and communicate with each other on FB games that is wrong, not being social in general gaming I agree. I also agree it's not the way I'd of liked Insomniac to progress, but we will see how it turns out.

Top Bottom