• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Outernauts |OT| Out of this world, in your browser

I tried to be optimistic but they're charging for everything you want to be able to use regularly. Thought it'd be fine because I'd just train while my character recharged. I didn't know sitting back and watching things fight took so much effort on his part. Better sit back and relax before I take up any strenuous activity like spectating.

I like that they just straight-up call the creatures beasts. It seems more humane than fighting with potential pets.

Cindres

Vied for a tag related to cocks, so here it is.
Well I tried for a little bit and I don't know if I'll carry on.

It seems to be more hostile than other Facebook games. Holy crap every time a beast levels up you get like 3 popups and the main button at the bottom is "Share". At one point the game forced me to click "Invite Friends" to move on, luckily I could X off the invite friends window.

mik

mik is unbeatable
I really love the game. I completely loathe the model. Like someone said on the previous page, as a $15 PSN game without all the nagging, I'd pay up in a heartbeat. As it stands, I can't really pay for any of this nonsense.

I would gladly pay and play this game on my vita/console and without being asked to share news constantly. I need to hide the shame that I play videogames.

Toppot

Kinda running out of things to do on it without buying more money. Such a shame. Seems the strong opinion is this IP and game style would be great on PSN without all the buying money and forced 'social' FB model.

Still In the world of Outernauts they are going forward. The first of the game cards is out (Looks like Top Trumps)
bXmGc.jpg
And lots of background to flesh out the character and eventually the universe
--Chimzees originate in cold, mountainous environments. As time has passed, it is said that Chimzees have developed longer and longer arms in order to scale the rocky mountain sides with ease. In the current day, they can be seen climbing at a r
ate of 12,000 Zigazats per Monophlone – that’s faster than a Tridorn can swim!

Born in packs, Chimzees are naturally playful and amiable creatures. They are rarely seen fighting or being aggressive. However, they are extremely protective of what is known as their “Snowsheen.” This is the first snowball that a young Chimzee creates. He keeps it with him at all times and slowly adds onto it over time. Think of it as Teddy Bear – a round, cold, wet Teddy Bear. In space!

Perhaps the most important characteristic to know about Chimzees is that they do not play basketball despite their astounding wingspan. In fact, they don’t even know what basketball is. So, they’ve kindly requested that people stop asking them about it. --

Toppot

Big and interesting article by Kotaku, with snippets of quotes from Insomniacs Chief Creative Officer, Brian Hastings.

http://kotaku.com/5932086/when-a-pl...a-facebook-gamethey-tried-not-to-pull-a-zynga

Brian Hastings said:
"When I initially started work on Outernauts over two years ago I was dead-set against doing most of that stuff,"
"I didn't want to limit play sessions or require interaction with friends or have any other typical Facebook trappings. And to be honest these features were the subject of many heated debates."

Such a shame they couldn't find a different business model, or, you know, just make it a console game using the IP because there is a distinct lack of pokemon style games anywhere bar DS.

Raonak

Banned
Big and interesting article by Kotaku, with snippets of quotes from Insomniacs Chief Creative officer, Brian Hastings.

http://kotaku.com/5932086/when-a-pl...a-facebook-gamethey-tried-not-to-pull-a-zynga

Such a shame they couldn't find a different business model, or, you know, just make it a console game using the IP because there is a distinct lack of pokemon style games anywhere bar DS.

Very true. I can't believe there aren't any decent pokemon clones. :/
Invisimals is the only one i can think of thats relatively close.

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
I hate how you need friends to expand your planet.

Haven't played in about two weeks. Just like every other social game out there, it gets old.

Oh, and it's an unbalanced mess.

flowsnake

How many of the areas are even available at the moment? I probably won't get out of the first section, but there's quite a few that look unlockable.

Toppot

How many of the areas are even available at the moment? I probably won't get out of the first section, but there's quite a few that look unlockable.
You get 4-5 per sector, once you beat that sector's boss you unlock the next sector.

inky

That mini interview really made me lose a lot of respect for them, a lot. Well, that and the model of course. I don't want to throw an "I hope they fail" around, but succeeding will only teach them the wrong lessons, so at least I hope nothing comes out of it. Shame. Not looking forward to Overstrike either...

Toppot

That mini interview really made me lose a lot of respect for them, a lot. Well, that and the model of course. I don't want to throw an "I hope they fail" around, but succeeding will only teach them the wrong lessons, so at least I hope nothing comes out of it. Shame. Not looking forward to Overstrike either...
Kinda agree, they even started doing limited time quests now, I hate that crap =/. They set out so against being like all the other games business wise, and now they are exactly that. I hope they brake even because I'm a fan, but I would like them not to continue making these type of games. As said by myself and others, get rid of the business model and make it a PSN game or something and I'd be fully behind it.

BJK

Bumping an old thread, because I've been playing every day for the past few weeks.
I think I'm done with this game.

They just did a series of timed quests as a special event in game. I busted my butt to actually get through all of the quests (One of them involved inducing a status effect 10x -- when I had only encountered one monster who could put frostbite on enemies...about 10% of the time.) I did get through all 3 quests, and my reward was
a golden statue of the quest-giver. The reward was entirely cosmetic. If they made that known going-in to the challenge...I wouldn't have cared. Likewise, if the statue does something other than stand there, I don't see any explanation.

I'm stuck in the game, because the quests I need to complete in order to advance require me to:
- add friends to the game;
- use collectible materials that can't be found in the game itself, and can only be gifted by your friends. (The same material is also necessary to expand your ' home planet' -- which you need to do in order to build feeders which increases your capacity to catch them all.)

Of course, I could just bypass all of that, by using the cash-only in-game currency. (I've been playing a number of other Facebook games; the ones I stick with give you a small amount of currency as you level up.) Of course, if I wanted to spend real money to play a Pokemon game, I would probably spend less by actually playing Pokemon. Plus, I'd be able to have a team of six monsters, instead of having to buy slots 4-6.

Ironically, I think I could have been convinced to drop $10-20 on this game, had it been on PSN without all the Facebook trappings.

Toppot

I got this today which I thought was rather good

I've had weekly reminders telling me my beasts miss me, and trying to bride me back with some Gravity Orbs (Basic Pokeballs). But then this arrived and asked me why I stopped playing, along with the big bribe of 3 Super Gravity Orbs (3 Master Balls) which is about $5 worth.

I am glad they are looking for feedback as to why people stop playing. Unfortunately there was no button for 'Got sick of having to pay or bug friends to progress'. Which had to be filed under more comments. I would actually probably pay a monthly fee to play the game with energy and gem/friend requirements taken out.

I did give the game another bit of a spin again and they have given you more ways to get Star gems (The pay currency) without paying real money which is an improvement. The game is a little more polished and tweaked. It is still the usual FB economy stuff though. They have also done another thing I absolutely despise, limited time special items/beasts. I hate them because If you miss one then tough, you will never have it 'complete' and I like to collect everything in game, as soon as I can't do that my interest drops like a stone.

So some small improvements, but still no dice.

flowsnake

New Pokemon games being just around the corner makes me even less likely to go back to this. I didn't get emails though...maybe I just didn't let the app have my address.

Toppot

Thought this was worth posting. Apparently they have made Major changes. Which basically boils down to 'we have made the annoying shit less annoying but it is still there'. I haven't played it again yet but I doubt it will make me want to play it more regularly.

http://us1.campaign-archive2.com/?u=cb09314f6783e80d1081664ab&id=b4af981390

Outernauts has undergone some MAJOR changes thanks to YOUR feedback! You have told us what you liked, didn’t like and what you would like to see in the game. We’ve listened, and hope you’ll login and see what we’re so excited about. Among the biggest changes and additions:
  • Better Player Experience: We’ve made it easier to jump in to Outernauts by removing pop-ups, reducing energy requirements and lowering friend-requirement challenges.
  • Better Beasts: Over 20 NEW beasts, including a way to purchase Eggs that hatch special Rare, Epic, and Legendary beasts.
  • Better Gameplay: We’ve introduced co-op dungeons to play through with your friends for big rewards. We have also added weekly challenges to complete.
  • Better Customization: We have introduced crystals, which allow you to further enhance and customize your beasts for battle. There are also a bunch of new armor sets to earn or purchase.

There’s much more to come, too. We have made numerous performance improvements and aren’t done yet. Outernauts continues to expand and evolve. Come tame the galaxy! And let us know what you think. We’re always listening in the forums, on Facebook and Twitter.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
I've actually been playing quite a lot of this game lately. The reduced friend and energy requirements have made the game a lot more fun to play. I haven't made much progress, but I'm slowly leveling my beasts and I'm trying to collect enough materials to expand my homeworld.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
So wait, the Beast Feeders only give out 25 Lunar now? It used to be 100. How the hell am I supposed to farm gold now?

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
I can't believe they're shutting down the Facebook version so they can make an iOS version instead. Really shitty Insomniac :/

Toppot

I can't believe they're shutting down the Facebook version so they can make an iOS version instead. Really shitty Insomniac :/

Well the Facebook version wasn't very popular, the iOS version meant the game had to be completely remade bar art assets I assume, allowing them to make changes they learnt from the FB version. So best to just reboot the franchise on iOS.

I think they also realised that deeper games don't work well on facebook really, when things like Candy Crush are simple as hell and do mega bucks.

As I said before, I'd rather they got rid of the shitty F2P model and make it Sony's pokemon. But over the months the game has morphed and gotten way way more complicated, I think they would be better off just scrapping it, but we will see how the reboot/relaunch goes.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
Well the Facebook version wasn't very popular, the iOS version meant the game had to be completely remade bar art assets I assume, allowing them to make changes they learnt from the FB version. So best to just reboot the franchise on iOS.

I think they also realised that deeper games don't work well on facebook really, when things like Candy Crush are simple as hell and do mega bucks.

As I said before, I'd rather they got rid of the shitty F2P model and make it Sony's pokemon. But over the months the game has morphed and gotten way way more complicated, I think they would be better off just scrapping it, but we will see how the reboot/relaunch goes.

Still, they could have at least made a free downloadable version or something. I mean, people put a lot of time into training their teams and whatnot, not to mention using real world money to buy in game items (which I never did, for obvious reasons). It just seems shitty of them to shut it down and make it unplayable. And the fact that you can't even transfer your data to the new version (I realize it's a totally revamped game, but they could have figured something out) is really lame too.

I do think the game would do well on Vita as a sort of Pokemon for Sony, but at this point, I'd rather they just do something else with those development resources.

Top Bottom