• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Over Jump Rally (Sega Rally Tribute) Hood Camera Gameplay

nikos

From the description:

This gameplay video shows the final visuals and the brand-new sound effects using Wwise and REV2!
The car handling is also final, but I usually don't drive using the hood camera, so there are some crashes here and there, which I wanted to keep in the video to show the physics (and SFX) in action.
The video was recorded in Ultra settings at native 1440p (then upscaled to 4k) on an RTX 4090 and i9-13900k, clocking around 90fps.
The performances are quite scalable, especially on lower resolution and using TSR upscale technology. DLSS and FSR will be added.
The lighting is all done in Lumen Software and pretty much every mesh is Nanite (except for translucent surfaces).
Fun fact: there are 2 Billion polygons in the entire map!Chaos Vehicle is used for the car's physics.

FAQs:

1) Yes, a console port is planned, but only for current-gen consoles (PS5, XBSX/S).
2) No Steam Deck compatibility, as its hardware is not powerful enough. It should work fine on ROG Ally and Legion Go.
3) Yes to wheel support (and FFB); it's coming!
4) No, I don't have a date for the upcoming demo release, but you can see it's in good shape (still missing VFX and game logic, but graphics and handling are 100% done. Some S are still missing).

acm2000

looks bad, the acceleration and steering looks like some crappy mobile game thats almost on rails.

hopefully its just a poorly made video

Killer8

EkuDoaa.png

I don't get it. So he's waiting on Sega to pick up the phone and just give him the reigns to their IP?

wftb8v0.png

oh-wait-youre-serious.gif

I still can't tell how this is even going to release. Why is there a Steam page up if there's no intent to sell on Steam? If the game is a full game being developed and isn't just a mental masturbation tech demo for Youtube likes and their artist portfolio, where will it actually be releasing if Steam is not on the cards? Say Sega never get back to them while they keep working on it - are they planning to just sit on a finished game until Sega give the okay?

I wish listed this on Steam months ago thinking it would just come out as a $20 tribute game (with all of the licensed cars and music modified to get around a C&D of course). Now I have even more questions than I had back then...

God the people who do fan remakes and make emulators have to be some of the world's most autistic.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
Handling seems all wrong, visually it's alright for a spiritual successor perhaps but probably not for something aiming to be a real remake of the first game either. Weird product. I probably wouldn't want just a remake either, especially of the first game which was/is amazing and there to play at will, but a new Sega Rally with the first couple of games' gameplay and identity, the additional content and replayability style of Sega Rally 2's DC port, more unlockables etc (but not going overboard with tons of tracks and content diminishing the value, quality or competition of each either, it's tricky).

This is probably still the only game to achieve Sega's classic racing style and it's far from a mere remake of any of their real stuff, we should all forever condemn Nicalis for killing it (even if they ever claim it's still coming without the original creator who has long since moved on from their bullshit).

Last edited:

Cattlyst

Have been keeping an eye on this for a while now but the whole ‘waiting for Sega to pick it up’ thing is just beyond idiotic. I guess we’ll never get to actually play it (if an actual game even exists) due to this moronic standpoint.

Darsxx82

Day one. Contrary to the opinion of others here, I do see a work that honors the identity of the original Sega Rally of which I am an absolute fan.

The aesthetics, colors, recreation of cars and scenarios and the arcade sense recreated with current technology. It's really very close to the idea I had of a remake. I hope SEGA can approve or license it. Especially if they don't have it's own new Sega Rally in mind to release.

Carton

I want to love it, but the track looks much too narrow to feel like Sega Rally. I loved how Sega Rally would have some tense and tight sections followed by wide sweeping areas, where error is punished on the clock and not with a collision.

nkarafo

Looks good to me but the problem is the crappy Unreal engine it runs on. I can already see the inevitable digital foundry review tearing it to shreds because of it's bad frame timing and shader cache issues. Heck, the bad frame pacing is already evident in that video.

nkarafo

God the people who do fan remakes and make emulators have to be some of the world's most autistic.
I can agree to that. The guy who ported the first part of Portal on the N64 killed his own project with his insistence to get the official OK from Valve. What a waste of a good project that was.

Miles708

It doesn't look bad but it also doesn't look like Sega Rally at all. It has a very "stock UE project" graphical style, the environment is not vibrant at all albeit some stuff (like the waterfall) is cool.

Extremely cool effort from a single dev, love the idea. But it's still far.

@Carton
I want to love it, but the track looks much too narrow to feel like Sega Rally. I loved how Sega Rally would have some tense and tight sections followed by wide sweeping areas, where error is punished on the clock and not with a collision

Also I agree with this

Last edited:
Top Bottom