• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch 2 is finally bringing back 6v6

Draugoth

Gold Member
overwatch-2-season-11-patch.jpg

The Overwatch 2 devs have finally revealed plans to return to 6v6 gameplay through a series of tests to determine if the game should permanently go back to the old format.

At launch, Overwatch 2 differentiated itself from the original game by dropping to 5v5, with just one tank per team to emphasize FPS gameplay and reduce queue times.

However, this change meant that teamplay took a bit of a hit, and there were no longer the same big ultimate combo moments that made some people fall in love with the original.

Now, after years of complaining and petitions from its players for 6v6 to return, Overwatch 2 will be doing just that… sort of.

“We’re looking at running a series of events to try out different core team composition formats in Overwatch 2,” Game Director Aaron Keller said. “We’re exploring how we can test different forms of 6v6 in the game to gauge the results.”
Source

Doomtrain

I used to love the original Overwatch, but I dropped off for a while after Overwatch 2's shitshow of a launch. I got back into it recently, and it feels like they're slowly righting the ship. 6v6 has its own set of issues and challenges, but it's great news that they're testing it!

Arsic

Loves his juicy stink trail scent
OW2 has many problems. 5v5 isn't one of them.
This is exactly it.

5v5 to me is preferred to be honest.

The issues stem from::
-Shit launch
-Never delivering the promises of what OW2 was to be (story mode etc)
-Changing monetization for the worst

Ultimately OW2 was not needed because of the above. It’s a worse game.

How do they fix it? They 100% cannot. It’s clearly set blizzard doesn’t want to invest in single player for it, they want to milk as much money from it, and they don’t care about e sports anymore either.

Who is this game for now? Die hards and idiots.

Doomtrain

So they bring back 6v6 which was the only big difference from OW1.

Why even make OW2 smh.
They're not bringing 6v6 back for sure. There's been a ton of fan demand for it, so they're going to run some limited tests to decide how to proceed. The two modes might possibly coexist, or 6v6 may return but in a different form.

I do agree with "why even make OW2" though. It always felt like a cynical way to sneak the cash shop into the game.

Arsic

Marvel Rivals will eat a large chunk of OW2s player base to be honest. Unless rivals fucks up its roadmap.

Would I rather play as mag fucking neto, master of magnetism, or bisexual robot woman with no personality?

MiguelItUp

Lol, I like how this sounds like reverting is a feature.
Marvel Rivals will eat a large chunk of OW2s player base to be honest. Unless rivals fucks up its roadmap.

Would I rather play as mag fucking neto, master of magnetism, or bisexual robot woman with no personality?
Yeah, Marvel Rivals is on a great trajectory if NetEase doesn't screw it up. But... we'll see how that goes, lol.

Doomtrain

Apparently, 1 Tank, 2 support, and 3 DPS *is* something they're considering.

I think the game is in a pretty good place now overall. The launch was a huge fail, for sure, and I don't think the game is justified in calling itself "2". But I couldn't care less about PvE, and as obnoxious as the cash shop is, I have a massive collection of OW1 skins that still work, so I find it easy to ignore. It was egregious when they tried to lock new characters behind the battle pass, but they stopped doing that. Things feel like they're in a good place and Blizzard actually seems to be listening to the player base now.

Arsic

I think the game is in a pretty good place now overall. The launch was a huge fail, for sure, and I don't think the game is justified in calling itself "2". But I couldn't care less about PvE, and as obnoxious as the cash shop is, I have a massive collection of OW1 skins that still work, so I find it easy to ignore. It was egregious when they tried to lock new characters behind the battle pass, but they stopped doing that. Things feel like they're in a good place and Blizzard actually seems to be listening to the player base now.
first-time-meme-first-time.gif

MiguelItUp

What some think Blizzard are scared of:

What Blizzard is actually scared of:

Gundam wasn't able to do it, but Marvel has a better chance.
It's still a shame that Gundam wasn't able to last, it had potential. But man, it felt like they were just planning as they went along and were doing the opposite of what their community wanted almost all the time.

I really hope MR doesn't go that route. If they actually approach everything appropriately I could see it lasting a good while. Which could be a great look for NetEase. But that's what also concerns me, it's NetEase, lol.

Last edited:
2/3/3 might be the best solution but I'll happily settle for 2/2/2 in some capacity. keeping one tank, two supports, and 3 dps without substantial nerfs to damage can fuck right off.

Everyone has their own golden era, but for me, 2/2/2 with slower ttk on assault maps was peak OW.

nikos

I play Overwatch 2 a lot.

6v6, and having two tanks on a team, are not missed at all. If they can somehow balance it or come up with a different team composition, they may be able to make it work but it's completely unnecessary.

2/2/2 has already been done. The current 5v5 feels way better. I think most people asking for the old 6v6 composition don't play the game.

1/3/2 would probably feel unbalanced unless damage output or something changes. Would probably be too chaotic with certain team comps and playing as a team would suffer because people will end up doing their own thing.

1/2/3 would probably work better but then you pretty much have a dedicated healer for both DPS and the tank, which seems ridiculous.

The game feels good as it is.

Last edited:

ReyBrujo

Gold Member
So if they bring back 2-2-2 will they remove the buffs they added to tanks to compensate with the one tank system?

Doom85

Right it’s not like they have years of data on how that format worked.

The characters are in a different state than they are now, 2 had new unique passives for each class at launch, and just recently they added new additional class passives that you choose 1 of 3 from at the start of a match. So adding an additional tank back isn’t the same as it was back in OW 1.

LRKD

So they bring back 6v6 which was the only big difference from OW1.

Why even make OW2 smh.
To take away people getting free cosmetics obviously, everything else didn't matter. They just needed a way to get people to pay more money.

LordCBH

Be Blizzard
Make Overwatch
People love Overwatch
People spend money in Overwatch
Make Overwatch 2
Make people buy things again
Sell with promise of PvE
Make it 5v5
Cancel PVE
Everyone hates it
Lesbo characters aren’t bringing people back
Add back 6v6

Next step. Drop the 2 off the end of the game.

NeoLed

People dislike the 5v5 mostly because 1 tank only make that role miserable. They became a total punching bag and when dev buff tanks, complains from other roles arise.

So for me, 6v6 but stay 1 tank totally missed the point. What a mess

There’s only one solution.

Release Overwatch 3 and make the only difference the fact that it’s 6v6.

and make it even gayer
It appears, anecdotally, that an overwhelming majority of Lifeweaver players are LGBBQ. This observation is corroborated by statements on Reddit, where users profess, "Many of us gravitate towards Lifeweaver due to a sense of identification with the character." Furthermore, in-game voice communications reveal a preponderance of higher-pitched male voices among these players.

We know that they know that most players would jump to “Overwatch Classic” given the option, so they have so slowly rollback all the shitty OW2 changes and hope we don’t notice.

Remember how they didn’t make many new maps so just changed the time of day on the existing ones which made them look worse?

BlackTron

I play Overwatch 2 a lot.

6v6, and having two tanks on a team, are not missed at all. If they can somehow balance it or come up with a different team composition, they may be able to make it work but it's completely unnecessary.

2/2/2 has already been done. The current 5v5 feels way better. I think most people asking for the old 6v6 composition don't play the game.

1/3/2 would probably feel unbalanced unless damage output or something changes. Would probably be too chaotic with certain team comps and playing as a team would suffer because people will end up doing their own thing.

1/2/3 would probably work better but then you pretty much have a dedicated healer for both DPS and the tank, which seems ridiculous.

The game feels good as it is.
MShDMWP.jpeg

People dislike the 5v5 mostly because 1 tank only make that role miserable. They became a total punching bag and when dev buff tanks, complains from other roles arise.

So for me, 6v6 but stay 1 tank totally missed the point. What a mess

DDdakby.jpeg

Top Bottom