• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PA on NextBox and Half Life 2

Bregor

The new strip:

20041112l.jpg

meh.

Tycho's commentary on HL2:

You've probably heard there was a store selling Half-Life 2 on Thursday, though I believe this behavior has since been curbed. It couldn't actually be played is the thing - it checks in with Valve over the various Internets to authorize itself, and they simply aren't allowing that yet. That doesn't keep me from opening up Steam every now and again to see if Half-Life 2 has moved from the "Coming Soon" heading to "My Games," as I'd heard that a broken street date might mean an early release on Steam. That hasn't happened yet, and I'm sad to say I don't really hold out much hope for it. If early copies are essentially just round pieces of plastic (as opposed to useful software), and if Valve is in complete control of whether or not the program can execute to begin with, it doesn't seem like any of us will be reprising our roles as Gordon Freeman thanks to some happy accident.

Ghost Recon 2, Alien Hominid, Metroid Prime 2 and Baten Kaitos all come out on or about the same day as Half-Life 2. I consider every one of those "Must Own," but Half-Life 2 isn't just desirable along the usual continuum. I've played three full levels of the game, from wildly different areas, and I can say with very little hesitation that you are not ready for this jelly.

Gabriel the Elder and I sort of got into it over the game, actually. Before he'd had a chance to play it, he asked me if I thought it was better than Doom 3. I told him that it would be difficult to say, they were very different experiences, and other content-free equivocations from my bottomless bag of feigned objectivity. After getting his hands on it himself he told me how full of shit I was, and how I knew all along which one was better. I replied that, yes, I could have spoken with more precision: it isn't that you can't compare the two, it's that trying to compare them is meaningless. The combination of Half-Life 2 the game, the Steam delivery system, and the Source SDK will define a new generation of PC gaming, usher in a golden age of man, and focus the mod community into a coherent beam which punches a hole straight through our notions of professional and amateur development.

In that order.

Koshiro

That PA is truely awful, it's like a joke that went by 4 years ago and they just noticed. And I'm one that normally says to stop complaining about PAs.. hah.

XMonkey

lacks enthusiasm.
golem said:
about time Valve ushered in a new golden age of mankind.

Aye, PA speaks the truth.

edit - wow it's late...that statement made no sense, so it shall be gone.

Mrbob

Halo 2 in Half Life 2 all in the span of a week. Most amazing time in gaming ever!

STEAM ACTIVATE! What time Monday is Valve gonna start activating accounts?

Mrbob

Damn it. Can some of these companies start having their operations set on the east coast!!! :lol They should start activating accounts time zone to time zone! I live in central time that is 2AM! :(

So are we going to get any HL2 reviews from any of the big websites before the game comes out? Or are they going to have to wait to play it like everyone else?

Bregor

dynamitejim said:
So are we going to get any HL2 reviews from any of the big websites before the game comes out? Or are they going to have to wait to play it like everyone else?

I suspect they will have to wait to play. Valve is probably pretty touchy about code leaks. ;)

Ar_

Easily amused and against the currents, I liked the strip!
Except the last panel, what does it have to do with "triple Xbox"?

Renegade

Banned
Ar_ said:
Easily amused and against the currents, I liked the strip!
Except the last panel, what does it have to do with "triple Xbox"?
"XXX Box"

It notices you're making whopee, plays music and records you making whopee and uploads it to every available P2P network.

Ar_

Thanks, I feel dumb for missing that :p
Didn't notice the bunny on the "o", and was too focused on the recent rumor of 3 Xbox Next models... coolmindedness -1

Top Bottom