• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pac Man makes it to Guinness World Records (most successful coin-op game)

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
http://www.gamespot.com/news/2005/06/01/news_6126778.html

TOKYO--Namco today celebrated its 50th birthday, but the company has more to cheer than its golden anniversary. During its anniversary party held in Yokohama prefecture, Namco was officially awarded for its entrance into the Guinness Book of World Records. The Company's classic arcade title, Pac-Man, is being listed in the record book as the "most successful coin operated game" in history.

Namco sold 293,822 units of the arcade machine during the seven-year period from 1980 to 1987 when the arcade game was being manufactured. David Hawksett, science and technology editor at Guinness World Records, appeared at the party to present the official Guinness plaque to Namco founder Masaya Nakamura and Pac-Man creator Toru Iwatani.

"There is no question that Pac-Man was a revolution in computer gaming. It not only showed what could be done with very little processing power to the world, but it also brought computer technology to the attention of many young people," commented Hawksett.

"I'm extremely honored," commented Nakamura. "I'm used to being called the 'Father of Pac-Man,' and he's like a son to me. He's smart, he's courageous, and he's tough enough that there's an M & A term called 'Pac-Man Defense' named after him. I hope that Namco will continue growing strong like Pac-Man for its next 50 years."

Nakamura began his company from a small business of building wooden-horse rides for kids in 1955, and grew it to an international operation with over 2,500 employees over the past 50 years. After Namco's merger with Bandai, Nakamura will step down from his current position as Namco chairman, and become the chief advisor to Namco Bandai Holdings.

Lazy8s

The ghost of Dreamcast past
To put its record into perspective, most arcade games sell only about a couple thousand at most, and current highly successful games like an installment of Virtua Fighter can get close to 10,000.

Izzy

Banned
That number just goes to show what a low key biz arcades had been in their heyday. To put things into perspective, Gauntlet, a VERY popular arcade machine in mid-80s, only sold 8,000 units. Gauntlet II sold even less. (5,000)

brocke

Banned
I wonder how much those "Pacman 25th Anniversary" Tshirts are worth now? (The ones the Namco booth was throwing out at E3). :D

Top Bottom