• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Paper Mario Localization Team Interview

impirius

Excellent. Those guys did an amazing job; PM:TTYD is my favorite localization, even better than Animal Crossing.

fennec fox

ferrets ferrets ferrets ferrets FERRETS!!!
PM and Mario & Luigi were better-written than most cartoons. I look up to the people behind both of those works.

bogg

I want to read the interview, but they have a spoiler warning and I haven't played the game yet. So are the spoilers a big thing?

explodet

bogg said:
I want to read the interview, but they have a spoiler warning and I haven't played the game yet. So are the spoilers a big thing?
I'd play the game first - there are a few spoilers. You'd probably enjoy the game more not knowing some of the points they talk about.

bogg

explodet said:
I'd play the game first - there are a few spoilers. You'd probably enjoy the game more not knowing some of the points they talk about.
Ahh cool. Thanks man :)

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
Now this is interesting. Nintendo's been on a roll with localizations recently. Wind Waker, Fire Emblem, Mario & Luigi, and Paper Mario 2 really have set the bar for natural and intelligent localizations, imho.

impirius said:
Excellent. Those guys did an amazing job; PM:TTYD is my favorite localization, even better than Animal Crossing.

I'd say better than Fire Emblem, even. The battle arena dialogue (including Rawk Hawk) was like a pimp slap to the rest of the industry on how to do a good localization. The first big point for me though, was (as Trinen said) the bit after you fight the guard, and he says:
"What's with all you video game heroes? You think that violence is the answer for everything!"

rawkhawk.gif

Mejilan

Rawk Hawk was absolutely genius.

Their strategy for getting a 1 hit kill on the final boss is absolutely ridiculous! I'm so going to try it out! :lol

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
Fuck looks like I'll need to play Paper Mario 2 so I can read this article. I haven't touched the game in a long time

Mejilan

What was vague? They were pretty candid, actually, both in their reasoning and in their methods.

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
I can't believe none of you have listed pikmin 2 among the nintendo localizations that have pwned recently.

GDJustin

It was a good read though. I wrote an article for GD biz a couple weeks ago about how great PM2's localization was and how nintendo is using their nostalgia to their advantage

cvxfreak

Great interview; NOA has GREAT translators aboard, something I can't say for other companies I like, except for Konami.

GDJustin

Cyan said:
I didn't really like the first PM, but I'm really loving this one. The dialogue really makes the game. My favorite line so far was a Goombella one. I don't remember the exact wording, and it's not really a spoiler, but:
she was talking about somebody in Glitzville. She said something about "videogames always being like that", and then said "Oops! I just broke the fourth wall, didn't I?"
I was seriously laughing out loud at that one.

Cheap Cheap.

ohamsie

Cyan said:
I didn't really like the first PM, but I'm really loving this one. The dialogue really makes the game. My favorite line so far was a Goombella one. Not really a spoiler, but:
she's talking about the Cheep Cheep in Glitzville. She says "They've been around for quite a while in the Mario Bros. series," and then says "Oops! I just broke through the fourth wall, didn't I?"
I was seriously laughing out loud at that one.

Didn't Goombario have a similar line in the first one?

WarPig

Nintendo's localization people are some of the most underrated talents in this business. The people at outfits like Square Enix get a lot of props, and for good reason, but Nintendo's translation and editing work is just as good or better, and they've got a great record of consistency over the years.

DFS.

Top Bottom