• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Papo & Yo |OT| Like Father, Unlike Son.

Pranay

papo_yo.jpg

Release Date: August 14, 2012
Genre: Adventure
Developer: Minority
Platform - PS3 [psn]
Price - 15$ [20% off for PS+ users]

About -

Papo & Yo is the story of a young boy, Quico, and his best friend, Monster. Monster is a huge beast with razor-sharp teeth, but that doesn't scare Quico away from playing with him. That said, Monster does have a very dangerous problem: an addiction to poisonous frogs. The minute he sees one hop by, he'll scarf it down and fly into a violent, frog-induced rage where no one, including Quico, is safe. And yet, Quico loves his Monster and wants to save him.

As Quico, players will build their friendship with Monster by solving puzzles together and adventuring through a magical, surrealist world. Players will need to learn to use Monster's emotions, both good and bad, to their advantage if they want to complete their search for a cure and save their pal.

Screenshots -
papo-yo-20120307022644527-3611140_640w.jpg

papo-yo-20120307022635244-3611134_640w.jpg

papo-yo-20120307022626869-3611128_640w.jpg

papo-yo-20120307022622644-3611124_640w.jpg

Trailer -
E3 2012 - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oqrg2O3rzIo

Reviews -
Eurogamer - 8
Kotaku - Buy
DigitalChumps - 7.4
IGN - 4
1up - B-
Joystiq - 3.5/5
Gameinformer - 8
Gamesbeat - 8
Gamespot - 7.5
Gamesradar - 3/5
EGM - 8.5
Digital Trends - 9.5
PS - Subtitle copied from EG review :p

StuBurns

Banned
Title should have been 'The apple fell far from the tree'.

It looks very disappointing I think, I'll be waiting for a sale.

Pranay

Mixed Opinion on the game so far.

It has some technical flaws and glitches but the game will appeal to people because its emotion message and emotion message in the game.a powerful ending.

Danielsan

The game seems rough, but I enjoyed what I saw in the Giant Bomb quick look. Will wait for a price drop. Also that IGN review is ridiculous.

Speevy

Banned
I'll probably get this later today.

I'm all for interesting games, and this certainly fits the bill, even if it is a bit janky.

Played the demo of this today and while there are some glaring technical hiccups I'm puzzled why it got such a low score from IGN, especially given the other reviews. Can certainly see how the game could have been better as there a lot of missed opportunities with puzzles but think I might get it to see what the fuss is about the story.

Played the demo of this today and while there are some glaring technical hiccups I'm puzzled why it got such a low score from IGN, especially given the other reviews. Can certainly see how the game could have been better as there a lot of missed opportunities with puzzles but think I might get it to see what the fuss is about the story.

What I said in the other Papo thread about the IGN review:

Mitch is a good dude who knows his stuff. I'll defend the game to the bitter end, but it's a very subjective experience; a bit rough around the edges, as you're seeing from most folks, so it's really up to whether it resonates emotionally for you. If it does, you're in for an amazing trip.

Honestly, with such a personal game it would be weird if it clicked with everybody.

SOME-MIST

It isn't mind blowing by any means, but so far it's been an enjoyable experience. I'm only about an hour in but I think it was worth the purchase.

Mitchy D seemed pretty harsh with his review but it is his opinion so that's fine. I'm enjoying the game so far not all the way through yet though

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
I played the demo, and I quite liked it. It was a little clunky, but I found the world to be very magical and intriguing. And unique. I think I'll purchase it.

Misguided

Banned
Can somebody please explain to me this puzzle?
You have to get Monster to go to some place, and there are three switches which activate these other reality things, like one spawns Monster, one releases frogs, and one is just another tree. There are two locks on the door, and one of them is opened by putting a frog in the pipe, but the other is said to have something to do with trapping Monster in it, but I don't really understand it at all. The game does a poor job of explaining this puzzle and there are a lot of glitches in this area. Please help?

You have to get Monster to go to some place, and there are three switches which activate these other reality things, like one spawns Monster, one releases frogs, and one is just another tree. There are two locks on the door, and one of them is opened by putting a frog in the pipe, but the other is said to have something to do with trapping Monster in it, but I don't really understand it at all. The game does a poor job of explaining this puzzle and there are a lot of glitches in this area. Please help?

Try undoing the switch/reality thing that spawned monster once he's out of it.

1) Open left most switch with the fruit in
2) Open right most switch with Monster in, have Monster run to the fruit area, and close the switch, trapping monster inside
3)Open middle switch with the frogs inside, pick one up and throw it into the pipe
4)Close the middle (frog) switch so no more escape, and squash any stragglers against the wall
5)Close the third switch (where Monster originall was)
to reveal the chalk square on the floor
6)Open the first switch where Monster was trapped, and lure him to the chalk square with fruit, to open the door

What was that other game that uses a monster as a metaphor for a drunk dad? Or has this been in development for ages and changed name & looks?

AgentP

Thinks mods influence posters politics. Promoted to QAnon Editor.
IGN is quite the outlier.

What I don't like IGN doing is talking about the game during the PS3 podcast as if it is garbage, yet everyone in the room has not played much of it. They basically have group think when it comes to their reviews. Can they understand it is one persons opinion and other might like it?

Misguided

Banned
Try undoing the switch/reality thing that spawned monster once he's out of it.

1) Open left most switch with the fruit in
2) Open right most switch with Monster in, have Monster run to the fruit area, and close the switch, trapping monster inside
3)Open middle switch with the frogs inside, pick one up and throw it into the pipe
4)Close the middle (frog) switch so no more escape, and squash any stragglers against the wall
5)Close the third switch (where Monster originall was)
to reveal the chalk square on the floor
6)Open the first switch where Monster was trapped, and lure him to the chalk square with fruit, to open the door

Thanks to you both.

Finished the game. (Minor end-game spoilers)
Hated how they beat you over the head with the alcohol metaphor. From the day this was announced, we knew that that's what it was about, and the game does the same thing, frequently referencing an actual father figure, as if the audience is too stupid to figure it out for themselves. And when at the end you put alcohol bottles in the tube and out pop frogs for the Monster to eat and get angry and...it's like, yeah, we get it. It leaves nothing to imagination; everything is so explicit, it feels like that sense of inner discovery and connection is gone because the author was too overbearing.

I liked the game, still. Will post more thoughts later.

Koroviev

Thanks to you both.

Finished the game.

Bummer about the heavy-handedness. I'm also reading that the game has some grievous technical issues. Has the patch resolved any of the problems? I noticed some pretty bad screen tearing while watching gameplay footage.

Koroviev

I really want this game but sadly I'll wait for a five dollar price drop.

While I'm very intrigued by the premise and applaud the developer's willingness to address a serious issue, I don't know if I'd be able to tolerate the lack of subtlety. That's what kills most films for me.

boutrosinit

Street Fighter IV World Champion
Played the demo and fell in love.

GREAT game. Has the ICO-sense of wonder without the (mostly) annoying girl.

Lime

Thanks to you both.

Finished the game.

Hated how they beat you over the head with the alcohol metaphor. From the day this was announced, we knew that that's what it was about, and the game does the same thing, frequently referencing an actual father figure, as if the audience is too stupid to figure it out for themselves. And when at the end you put alcohol bottles in the tube and out pop frogs for the Monster to eat and get angry and...it's like, yeah, we get it. It leaves nothing to imagination; everything is so explicit, it feels like that sense of inner discovery and connection is gone because the author was too overbearing.

Damn, that was exactly what I had hoped would not happen. Execution is almost everything when it comes to treating serious topics as this one.

Anyone thought this would be a better fit for the Vita as it could be easily distinguishable and possibly garner a better reception?

Misguided

Banned
Terribly sorry to anyone that read that section of my thoughts that I had put in quotes; I had meant to put it in spoiler tags. Bans all around, etc.

Liked the demo, especially the music and miniature stand-in-based manipulation of square buildings. Not sold on the type of puzzles and interactions given in the demo, though. Very simple 'see thread, pull on thread' sort of thing. Definitely not very polished, but it isn't broken, either. PSN+ discount deadline will probably push me over the edge before its expiration.

Phatcorns

I'm interested in the emotional aspect of the game. Does the story pay off in the end? The idea really intrigues me, I can get over any problems it might have.

PokéKong

I played the demo and intend to buy soon enough. The story has interested me since hearing about it. In a world where it has become the trendy thing to pick apart every single game story and force your own symbolism into everything and point out things like "WWOWWW MAAAAAAAAN, the monster represents the kid's abusive father like wow this game is totally much darker than originally thought!", this game comes along where that is not the twist at the end, it is the very premise and very up front at the beginning. So it intrigues me greatly where the story goes on from there.

It also is a relief to get a puzzle platformer in third person again.

Wow, still on the first page...is anyone playing this?

Still debating whether to get it.

Edge also gave it 4/10 and panned it but then Eurogamer gave it 8/10 and the reviewer seemed pretty positive.

A lot of people on twitter seem to be praising the game but maybe the critics just can't be bothered. Just wondering why they seem to have released the game with all the bugs and technical problems intact. Ran out of time? Didn't care?

Koroviev

Still debating whether to get it.

Edge also gave it 4/10 and panned it but then Eurogamer gave it 8/10 and the reviewer seemed pretty positive.

A lot of people on twitter seem to be praising the game but maybe the critics just can't be bothered. Just wondering why they seem to have released the game with all the bugs and technical problems intact. Ran out of time? Didn't care?

I can't tell if they're reviewing it with or without the patch.

Top Bottom