• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Paramount officially announces Star Trek "4" starring Chris Pine & Chris Hemsworth

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cheebo

Banned
Paramount made it official. A 4th film with this current era TOS is coming. As rumored before Chris Hemsworth is returning as George Kirk from the 2009 film. Press release below:
PARAMOUNT PICTURES, SKYDANCE AND BAD ROBOT
ANNOUNCE A FOURTH “STAR TREK” FILM

CHRIS PINE AND CAST TO BE JOINED BY CHRIS HEMSWORTH, WHO RETURNS TO THE BLOCKBUSTER FRANCHISE AS GEORGE KIRK

HOLLYWOOD, CA (July 18, 2016) – Paramount Pictures, Skydance and Bad Robot today announced that the crew of the U.S.S. Enterprise will return to the big screen for another voyage.

In the next installment of the epic space adventure, Chris Pine’s Captain Kirk will cross paths with a man he never had a chance to meet, but whose legacy has haunted him since the day he was born: his father.

Chris Hemsworth, who appeared in 2009’s “STAR TREK,” will return to the space saga as George Kirk to star alongside Pine.

The remaining cast is expected to return.

J.D. Payne and Patrick McKay will write the screenplay. J.J. Abrams and Lindsey Weber will produce through Bad Robot Productions. David Ellison and Dana Goldberg of Skydance will executive produce.

http://trekmovie.com/2016/07/18/star-trek-4-announced-will-unite-chris-pine-and-chris-hemsworth/

No Pegg on script this time.

giphy.gif

I like both Chris', and I like both time travel and evil clone tropes, so I'm on board with whatever shenanigans they pull here.

jett

D-Member
More time travel shenanigans I guess.

And Hollywood still trying to make Chris Hemsworth happen. How many bombs must this man headline before they realize he's not happening?

Cheebo

Banned
Now we are getting a 4th film with this cast I wonder what they are going to do about Chekov...

We'll see if this sticks if Beyond bombs (I don't think it will)

Pegg not being on script though is hmm

He is box office shit beyond Marvel

I doubt they would have put out this press release mere days before release if they weren't happy with the current box office tracking numbers Beyond is doing.

Katori

I like the idea, it's very Trekkian, but this is a strange announcement, and a script from two unknowns?

Will have to see who they get to direct.

TyrantII

Time travel, ugh.

Literally A whole universe worth of stories to tell, and we're going with time travel and Kirk meeting his father.

Busty

Banned
This is more to do with Paramount's current situation (corporate infighting, low input and losses) than anything else.

Trek is not a very profitable franchise for the studio. It doesn't shift merch and is soft overseas.

Now that their Turtles franchise has tanked they need something positive to announce.

It is almost certainly not a coincidence that this statement is released the same day as Netflix's Trek deal is announced.

jett

D-Member
This is more to do with Paramount's current situation (corporate infighting, low input and losses) than anything else.

Trek is not a very profitable franchise for the studio. It doesn't shift merch and is soft overseas.

Now that their Turtles franchise has tanked they need something positive to announce.

It is almost certainly not a coincidence that this statement is released the same day as Netflix's Trek deal is announced.

They have Transformers I guess lol. They want to make other toys happen as well, right?

Morts

I hope it's a mirror universe plot instead of a time travel plot. Or it's a fake out and Hemsworth is playing Kirk's brother instead of father.

Heartfyre

Aren't they the two writers that made such a haims of the first draft of Star Trek Beyond that Pegg had to take over in order to fix it and make a film at great speed in order to get it released in time for this summer? Am I misremembering something? They're giving the next film to them again, for some reason?

Randdalf

While I disagree, I wouldn't even mind a DS9 movie at this point. Why does EVERY new ST movie have to be TOS?

Because there have been two successful films with this cast, and probably a third, and filmgoers will be expecting to see the same characters. You've also got to remember that DS9 and TNG also ended in the 90s, and aren't currently at the forefront of the public's mind.

Jackpot

Banned
They'll just say he quit to live on Earth or just not mention the character at all. He wasn't what I'd call integral to the actual storylines in many cases.

I always planned to make a thread asking "What if Into Darkness had killed off Chekov instead of fake killing Kirk?"

It would have given the story actual punch in terms of Khan as a villain and as Kirk's failure as a captain as he had put Chekov into a role he wasn't ready for. Chekov's character was the least important in the Abramsverse and the movies have been kinda crowded.

Not happening now though.

Blade30

Unconfirmed Member
Aren't they the two writers that made such a haims of the first draft of Star Trek Beyond that Pegg had to take over in order to fix it and make a film at great speed in order to get it released in time for this summer? Am I misremembering something? They're giving the next film to them again, for some reason?

IIRC the first draft was too much Star Trek and the studio wanted a "Guardians of the Galaxy" type movie (look at the first trailer with the beastie boys song).

SDCowboy

Because there have been two successful films with this cast, and probably a third, and filmgoers will be expecting to see the same characters.
At some point, you have to try and move on. Four movies all set in TOS is too much. Heck, I'd even love something completely original not based on any of the shows.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom