• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[Part III] Thoughts on six patent applications related to a unique PS5, and what it may mean for SIE's future

GAF machine

Ultimately, I get the impression that the GCS will become an integral part of managing a distributed ledger (i.e. a blockchain) for PSN.

FIG. 10A of a sixth application illustrates a peer-to-peer web processing a smart contract, which entry [0104] says: "The distributed computing architecture includes multiple computing systems (referred to here as computers), which may be entertainment systems 1500, that store and modify the distributed ledger." Further down in the application, entry [0162] says that the distributed ledger can be "implemented on the platform server 140, a cloud server, or on any of the servers 218".

Although the illustration depicts different devices (laptop, phone, etc.) and stacked PC towers (e.g., a cloud server) huddled together in a P2P web, the application provides that every one of those devices including the stacked PC towers could just as well be replaced with entertainment system 1500s (i.e., PS2s covering for PS1, PS3s, PS4s or PS5s per entries [0044] and [0162]; but for the sake of this OP they're CELL-integrated PS5s) to create the same P2P web.

Ken Kutaragi gave a general concept for something like this when he was asked what PS3 "melting" into a "distributed environment with networking" meant. He explained: "Next, the network will be the key. The network until now has been a network of information, but now it will become a bus for peer-to-peer computing. That is the concept of Cell" (translated by DeepL). Steven Levy/Newsweek elaborated on the concept a bit more, writing: "The cells, as members of the network, would all be connected, in effect creating a peer-to-peer web that would transform every home into a kind of domestic (and legal) Napster".

Call me crazy, but I think that SIE will expand on the P2P network concept with the implementation of an interoperable blockchain to record/track the history of digital assets (i.e., user-generated/publisher content, media files, games and game items, in-game currencies, entitlements, rewards, etc.) purchased, sold, traded or rented via PSN; and of digital assets brought onto the blockchain from outside networks.

SIE probably intends to use the GCS as cloud-gaming/validator nodes, and give certain PS Plus subscribers who own CELL-integrated PS5s the option to earn rewards if they register their consoles as PS blockchain validators (the PS Plus reward incentive is hinted at in entries [0039], [0041] and [0042] of the seventh application). Other platforms (PC, mobile, etc.) will probably get access to the PS blockchain via an updated PS App.

Rumor has it that PS Home is going to return in some form, someday. I guess SIE wants it to be a social MMO gaming space with a scalable Web 3.0 economy that interoperates with other blockchains.

[Part I]
[Part II]

Last edited:

SNG32

Sony will never do hardware based backwards compatibility without some paywall for PS1 - PS3 generations. It’s not a big incentive for them to do it.

envyzeal

Bring CELL back

104184952_1134147066950351_8830104925908808268_n.jpg

Gimme PS5 Perfect Cell Edition

ChorizoPicozo

Gold Member
the last bit... is what i have been thinking.

PlayStation Home VeRtion 2.0 in which all the "Playstation Stars" rewards exist unique to each player. and of course you can buy and exchange digital goods like furniture and shit like that.

2/10 of this becoming a reality....not even virtually.

Top Bottom