• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Past or Present : List Your Best Vocalists

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hellraizah

Freddie Foxxx/Bumpy Knuckles

Best. Rapper. Of. All. Time.

Love his metaphors, his flow is pure dopeness. No gimmicky bullshit.

bjork

bjork - even if she messes up and her voice cracks or she loses a note, she keeps plugging right along. Gotta love persistence.

morrissey - just has a good voice... dead sexy

bob dylan - lots of people dislike his voice, but it's actually what made me a fan

kier kirby (of Deee-Lite) - she was doing the Ulala shtick before Ulala made it cool, and she can sing well also.

stuff

Meier

gallery_pic278.jpg

12725-150x500.jpg

Why? I love the sound of his voice when he sneers, it doesn't sound forced like say when Thom Yorke does it. He has a great rock n' roll voice. He's been called by peers like Bono, Johnny Marr, Richard Ashcroft, and Chris Martin as one of the best rock n' roll singers of the past 25 years. Even reviews who knock Oasis records have to admit Liam has a great voice.

Ryo

Gotta say Jim Morrison. Maybe 'cause his voice pitch is right about where my own is when singing.

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
cornell.jpg

Bish, please lock this thread. It's blasphemous. Only God is the greatest vocalist of all time.

soakrates

Ronnie James Dio - The man can belt like a motherfucker and is basically responsible for the way metal's been sung for nearly 30 years.

Devin Townsend - At once screechy, gravelly, and intensely melodic. Doesn't hurt that he's also the most talented guy in metal today.

Steve Hogarth - He's a little whiney at times, but he has such a uniquely atmospheric voice.

Akino Arai - Speaking of atmospheric.... Just listen to "Voices" or "Bara Shigemi." 'Nuff said.

Loreena McKennitt - With a voice as powerful as hers, it's a credit to her talent that she doesn't oversing as often as she could. Plus her Tom Waits impression was awesome.

Daria Kawashima - It's nice to hear a Japanese female vocalist that can really nail the lower registers. Feel So Bad kicks ass.

Eduardo Falaschi - He can sing at crazy high pitches without sounding castrated.

Tarja Turunen - Amy who? Evanescence what?

Dead

well not really...yet
List of some of my favorite singers...

James Dean Bradfield
Paul Draper
Billy Corgan
Bernard Sumner
Brett Anderson
Freddy Mercury
Elizabeth Fraser
Mark Greany
Jeff Buckley

bleh, theres more but I cant remember them all....

yacobod

Banned
Dio is a good choice, i seen him in concert last summer and his voice is pretty unbelievable for such an old guy, sounds fantastic

Bruce Dickinson - the air raid siren

Rob Halford - the metal god

Geoff Tate

nitewulf

jim morrison is my favorite - he exudes personality and attitude with his sometimes deep, sometimes grungy voice. at times he growls. he was a maniac.
ronny james dio - what a voice...
robert plant - another perennial favorite

fart

Savant
jason and yoshi's answers + jeff buckley, jeremy enigk, jeff mangum, phil,

more if i think of them

whoever said corgan YOU'RE DEAD TO ME

Andrew Bell. His range is as wide as you can get. Listen to Erasure's "How Many Times?" on the low end of things and then listen to "Always" or "Reach Out" on the Higher end of things....the range there is just huge...he can sing anything.

My 2nd pick would be Annie Lennox. Powerful yet feminine.

Hooker

Freddy Mercury is at the top. This man was just made for signing!

People that are in MY top ***:
Mike Patton
Bjork
Maynard
Chino Moreno :)D)
Robert Plant

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
Josh Groban --- though he wastes it on cheese
Kelly Clarkson -- she can really do anything really well
Derek Webb and his wife Sandra McCracken -- just plain good
Sara Groves -- soft and pretty
Paul McCartney -- though not the best in technical, has the uncanny ability to be perfectly fitting to the music
Billy Joel -- listen to his music over the years, he's so multitalented
Susanna Hoffs -- there's a unique quality to her voice that I just love
James Taylor -- His early stuff before he got kinda lame

And last but not least...
Early Motown vocalists. Usually it's not fair to name a whole label, but for awhile there Motown was pure gold, one great vocalist after another after another. A few became legends, others only had a couple hits, but just about all of them were fantastic. I love classic Motown stuff.

DarkAngyl

Geoff Tate-My all time favorite
Rob Halford
Bruce Dickenson
James Labrie
Russel Allen
Roy Kahn
Tobias Sammet--Kahn and Sammet are fairly new additions to my list of favs. Great stuff.
Bobby Hatfield and Bill Medley-the Righteous brothers
Marvin Gaye
Freddie Mercury
Robert Plant
Jeff Keith
Eric Martin
Elton John

Really this list could go on and on and on. I like so many singers for so many different reasons.

DrM

Redmond's Baby
Hansi Kursch
Kai Hansen
Bruce Dickinson
Rob Halford
Matt Barlow
Aaron Stainthorpe
Chris Boltendahl

Lambtron

Unconfirmed Member
Devendra Banhart
Jamie Stewart
Jeff Mangum
Will Scheff
Gibby Haynes (though a lot of that is because of Gibbytronix)
Gene Ween
Doggystyle-era Snoop Dogg

Probably some others... I can barely think.

Neo_ZX

The only person to catch my eye, errr well ears lately has been Amy Lee... but only when she's not live. Live and sitting down is okay but movement just doesn't suit her style of singing.

RedDwarf

Smegging smeg of a smeg!
Mark E. Smith - His style is completely unique.
Bernard Sumner - I can't think of anyone else who would fit the New Order sound.
Kristen Hersh - Warm, even when singing about something horrible.
Roger Waters - Amazingly English.
Prince - A little too squealy sometimes, but he's the best funk singer around.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom