• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Past or Present : List Your Best Vocalists

Status
Not open for further replies.
AlphaSnake said:
cornell.jpg

Bish, please lock this thread. It's blasphemous. Only God is the greatest vocalist of all time.

How about... NO!

3606.jpg

Here's the better vocalist.

He's unique. Nobody sounds like him.

I'd have to say J. Robbins of Jawbox/Burning Airlines. He's got that smooth as silk croon to frustrated (yet still sing-songy) yell thing down real well. You can really tell how much he grew as a vocalist from the earliest Jawbox album up to the last BA album.

He also sang one or two songs for Government Issue a few years back.

Yep.

Leon said:
LONG POST AHEAD!

Actually, if I recall correctly, in the case of Bono, it was the other way around. The Gallaghers keep saying that Bono is one if not their favorite vocalists ever. U2 just send that "thanks, we love you too" thing back to them every time it's brought up.

With that said, I don't believe Liam has a great voice. Matter of fact, one of the worst voices I can think of. It's gotta be one of these love it or hate it deals. Sometimes he pulls it off really well (Wonderwall, Stop crying your heart out), sometimes it sounds like he makes it too fucking whiny when it really doesn't have to be, which makes it just...horrible. Listen to "(Probably) All in the mind" on their latest, Heathen Chemistry, for a good example. It wasn't a groundbreaking song in the first place, Liam just ruins it completely.

Bono did say that. Unfortunately, I no longer have the quote. But here is what was written in an article in the Irish Independent.

http://www.oasis-ultimate.com/interviews/irishindependant.html

"Bono described Noel's younger brother as the greatest rock performer in 20 years."

Also, Bono has always highly praised Oasis. For example, when asked about one of the many possible Oasis breakups in a video interview, Bono said "No no, we need Oasis." In fact, you'd be surprised at how many bands praise Oasis from Morrissey to Weezer to Rob Zombie (<-- he listens to Oasis bootlegs of all things).

And I guess it is a preference. You said you thought Axl was a joke, but he's my second favorite singer. I don't like singers sounding lovely during a rock n' roll song. I like raspy, sometimes angry voices.

nitewulf

added:

weiland
stevie nicks
peter steele of type o negative
bruce dickinson
dolores o' riordan
sarah brightman
loreena mckeenitt
chris cornell
roy orbison

Diablos said:
WTF is so great about Oasis??? LMAO

Did you know Corgan invited Noel Gallagher to take a ride in Corgans new car? Noel was all "err, alright." I guess after calling SP "rubbish" in an interview in 1996 with Corgan retaliating with a half-assed cover of Champagne Supernova, Corgan thought it'd be nice to make up with his idol. :)

Diablos

PartlyCloudlike said:
Did you know Corgan invited Noel Gallagher to take a ride in Corgans new car? Noel was all "err, alright." I guess after calling SP "rubbish" in an interview in 1996 with Corgan retaliating with a half-assed cover of Champagne Supernova, Corgan thought it'd be nice to make up with his idol. :)

Haha, that's pretty funny.

Except, Noel Gallagher isn't Corgan's idol.

When Billy was in Zwan he cracked a joke in the UK saying they're touring with Oasis... and he didn't mean it in a "we wish we were touring with them" kind of way, but a "thank god we aren't touring with them" thing.

IJoel

PartlyCloudlike said:

Oasis can only dream to be half as good as SP.

Anyway, on the subject of best vocalists:

Sebastian Bach
Layne Staley
Chris Cornell
Thom Yorke

There are many great performers, don't confuse that with vocal ability though.

Diablos

What's up with Yorke's voice lately? He sounds like a hybrid of an old man and his voice from the early/mid 90's. :|

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom