• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PC couch gaming. What are folks doing for mouse and keyboard?

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
Some PC games don't really allow game controller input. What are my options for couch gaming?

CYCON%C2%B2_Black_1-1.jpg

I have one of these, but instead of using a Corsair keyboard I use a Logitech G915 TKL instead and it fits the slot very snugly.

61aOsJPBNcL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
Some PC games don't really allow game controller input.
Add the game to Steam (if it isn't already). You should be able to configure Steam Input to map your gamepad buttons to the KB&M inputs. Maybe someone else has done it already and you can just download their settings / gamepad profile.

I use this a lot on the Steam Deck, it's great for playing old ass games.

Last edited:

Catphish

Some PC games don't really allow game controller input. What are my options for couch gaming?
This is some jury-rigged business but, hey, it works.

I have one of those love seat recliners with the console/twin-cup holder gimmick in the middle. I sit on the left.

The console cup-holder area is the perfect size for a folded-up chess board. Upon the chess board sits a mouse pad. Upon the mouse pad sits a gaming mouse with a USB extension to the PC. Elbow on the arm rest, hand on the mouse.

On my left, I have one of those little gaming keyboards, also with USB extension, which sits over the cup holder at the end of my arm rest. Elbow on the arm rest, hand on the little keyboard.

A simple wireless keyboard sits in my lap, while a PS5 controller, with extra long USB cable, sits off to the side within arm's reach.

About as comfy and lazy as it gets. :)

Last edited:
lol wtf just use steam input for your controller on desktop, works a charm.

I find that its not reliable depending on the situation. If you play a game outside of Steam then Steam thinks its still in desktop mode and you get double inputs, and then you have to close Steam to get it to stop. Other times I find that if I right-click on an icon in my system tray to get to a context menu Steam input just completely stops and I need to reach for a mouse.

But yeah if all you're looking to do is use your controller to mouse over to an icon to launch a game it works fine for that.

Kataploom

Gold Member
For those games, I skip them. Most of the time they're on genres I don't care about (anything point and click) so I'm lucky. You can have a M&K combo around in a place you can easily take and some surface to use them comfortably, that's what I've done for online games (tho right now I just play those in my desk computer), it works, the alternative being on console or PC is not playing them anyway.

TrebleShot

I find that its not reliable depending on the situation. If you play a game outside of Steam then Steam thinks its still in desktop mode and you get double inputs, and then you have to close Steam to get it to stop. Other times I find that if I right-click on an icon in my system tray to get to a context menu Steam input just completely stops and I need to reach for a mouse.

But yeah if all you're looking to do is use your controller to mouse over to an icon to launch a game it works fine for that.
Yeah same issue I've had that's why I have Remote Mouse & KB installed on my phone for such occasions , once in game the controller will work.

Crayon

I just map stuff with steam input for games with no controller support. If its a strategy/builder I use the normal air mouse remote and half a controller for scrolling and hotkeys.

Sorry to bump, but seems appropriate for discussion. But do most couch gamers with controller only use it to boot into big picture mode?

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
But do most couch gamers with controller only use it to boot into big picture mode?
I don't use Big Picture, just launch the game on the desk and move my ass to the couch. It's not like I'm changing games every five minutes so it's fine.

Ok I have a k400r that I have had for years. I guess I need to have a kbm device for a pin anyhow. I’m trying to avoid being as kbm dependent as possible but I’ll try just using this. Thank you all!

Last edited:

dmaul1114

Just a keyboard with touchpad for launching games etc. mostly. But also have my PC at a desk in the corner of my mancave and hooked up to my AVR/TV with a 10' HDMI cable. So I can just set and play at the desk on a monitor the rare times I want to play a KB/M game.

I move my PC back and forth between my desk and the tv (ITX build 5600x/4070S in a Fractal Terra) and I generally just bring my mouse to the couch but I'm controller 100% of the time if I'm at the couch.

I used to set my PC to auto login and boot into Steam BPM upon startup. It just became a hassle when it's at my desk so I just have my PC auto login.

RCX

vB2itiLbFAYwRUNSzaPU2k.jpg

Controller companion can work OK for some non-gamepad games but it's all a bit of a cobble. I usually just avoid those types of games for couch play.

For everything else:

First, big picture mode.

Then I bought a spare of these as soon as I heard MS discontinued them. Remapped the colour buttons to "win" and "alt tab"

Coupled with a desktop profile for steam input it covers me in 98% of cases.

Would love an implementation on Windows that was a carbon copy of the steam deck though. Their onscreen keyboard and mouse emulation is nearly perfect.

Last edited:

Denton

I'm sure the K400 is a fine alternative:
I have been using it for more than a decade. Typing this post on it. It solves 100% of couch PC TV related issues for me as far as windows control is concerned.

For gaming I use controller. If I (extremely rarely) want to play some RTS that requires a mouse, I just play that at a desk on a monitor (my PC is connected to both TV and monitor).

El Muerto

Gold Member
I use a dualsense on my linux htpc. Touchpad acts like a mouse right out of the box so i can bring up steam link to play my pc games in my living room. I use a logitech k400 for everything else.

I use a $30 wireless keyboard and mouse Logitech combo.

I use my pc in my recliner, and just have the mouse on the big recliner arm chair while a keyboard on my lap.

I prefer controller though for some games.

EverydayBeast

ChatGPT 0.1
I haven't been in the position to play pc gaming on the couch, it's a special system to be pc gaming I would stay on a desk, the couch is what pc gamers give up.

Top Bottom