• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Photoreal Ai filter for existing games

HL3.exe

This looks sick. It’s still janky and not at all possible in real-time for now, but it gives an interesting glimpse into the future.

Letting the filter handle the image while allowing the game-logic to manage simulation consistency (something LLMs still aren’t great at) seems promising.

Skifi28

Why pick Halo and Skyrim and not something classy like Dead or Alive to show it off?
RuDanDm.gif

Denton

Man that's fucked up. You just create lowend graphics, apply AI filter (DLSS10) and suddenly have photorealism.

Hmm. It's like the initial AI fake panavision trailers. Overtime, it starts to dilute. Nothing about gameplay enhancing features. Just MOAR graphics!

Wildebeest

In real time it could be even more uncanny as you could pass more information to the AI to make things better like depth maps and region hints saying what sort of thing is in different areas of the screen. Avoiding things like the horses in skyrim having human faces.

efyu_lemonardo

May I have a cookie?
This is starting to resemble the Holodeck from Star Trek. Especially the two Fallout clips. Yarn world and pixel world were surreal.

Last edited:

Von Hugh

Gold Member
Photorealism is boring. Even if this was perfect and in real time I wouldn't be interested in this soulless gimmick. Give me a crafted art style over this any day.

The only time I can see this being fitting would be Microsoft Flight Sim or similar.

If you actually watched those videos, you can see that there are other styles other than photo realism.

Are they "crafted"? No, but does it matter?

HL3.exe

Photorealism is boring. Even if this was perfect and in real time I wouldn't be interested in this soulless gimmick. Give me a crafted art style over this any day.

The only time I can see this being fitting would be Microsoft Flight Sim or similar.
While I agree, even the crafted artstyles these days feel increasingly generic and 'epic'. Like, most games feel like a souls-like god of war-like, fantasy, sci-fi or horror setting. It all kinda blends together at some point, and I find those increasingly boring, funny enough.

I kinda like the 2000's push for exaggerated photorealism at the time, with Half-life 2 for example, and good that it's making a comeback in that bodycam footage game for instance. Just for some visual diversity at least, instead of everything needing to feel 'epic' and theatrical.

Last edited:

shamoomoo

Man that's fucked up. You just create lowend graphics, apply AI filter (DLSS10) and suddenly have photorealism.
Maybe,but there is this weird smear look to some of the images,I wonder how convincing the graphics look in person. It's like an oil painting type effect that looks weird to my eyes.

Considering how power intensive anything AI still is, even if it is perfectly tuned for the job, I'm not holding my breath to see anything like this outside of experiments in the foreseeable future.

Wildebeest

Considering how power intensive anything AI still is, even if it is perfectly tuned for the job, I'm not holding my breath to see anything like this outside of experiments in the foreseeable future.
All the latest gaming graphics is extremely power intensive and also already relies heavily on AI.

All the latest gaming graphics is extremely power intensive and also already relies heavily on AI.
That is not comparable at all with what`s going on here.
Extrapolating from existing information while also being supported by engine data is a whole world different from basically creating an interactive video from scratch.

Last edited:

Denton

Maybe,but there is this weird smear look to some of the images,I wonder how convincing the graphics look in person. It's like an oil painting type effect that looks weird to my eyes.
I am talking about the future. Given how ML generated images looked just few years ago and how they look now, the progress seems to be accelerating rapidly and is unlike to stop any time soon.

Wildebeest

That is not comparable at all with what`s going on here.
Extrapolating from existing information while also being supported by engine data is a whole world different from basically creating an interactive video from scratch.
It is like 75% comparable at least in that game footage is being post processed by AI.

GladiusFrog

This must be Runway ML video to video, soon as it was released last week I did a 10sec clip of Vice City and filtered it through lol.

Just try and imagine this techs advances in five years.

Last edited:

Toots

Gold Member
There's still the weird "waving" that goes hand in hand with AI vids but if they manage to get rid of it in the future it's gonna be an overpowered remaster/remake tool that will force Bluepoint out of business.

It is like 75% comparable at least in that game footage is being post processed by AI.
Nope... Not even close. The information from the base image here is nearly worthless aside from the general geometric assembly in the scene.This isn't far from freeform which is very expensive computationally speaking.

Last edited:

nnytk

This looks sick. It’s still janky and not at all possible in real-time for now, but it gives an interesting glimpse into the future.

Letting the filter handle the image while allowing the game-logic to manage simulation consistency (something LLMs still aren’t great at) seems promising.

I am amazed by the potential for experimentation and contemporary art. But I am kind of appalled by the idea that this would be used to craft games.

I want people's vision, art DIRECTION, not some dead code/algorithm giving me "something close to the prompts it is receiving."

Call me conservative if you will. Actually, isn't this a progressive stance? Anyway, screw this AI slop 😅

I want to see Kojima, Suda52, Platinum, Fromsoft, and many other game directors their vision, crafted through talent. Not this goofy nonsense.

It's gimmicky and fun. That's all.

Holammer

I wonder when we get the first DLSS version with this sort of function. I imagine it'll start with AI for volumetric objects like water, clouds/mist. Stuff that's costly to render, but ezpz for the AI.
DLSS5 maybe.

HL3.exe

I am amazed by the potential for experimentation and contemporary art. But I am kind of appalled by the idea that this would be used to craft games.

I want people's vision, art DIRECTION, not some dead code/algorithm giving me "something close to the prompts it is receiving."

Call me conservative if you will. Actually, isn't this a progressive stance? Anyway, screw this AI slop 😅

I want to see Kojima, Suda52, Platinum, Fromsoft, and many other game directors their vision, crafted through talent. Not this goofy nonsense.

It's gimmicky and fun. That's all.
Yeah, kinda agree. It should be implemented as a visual supplement. Not take over the whole image. But man, at a glimpse it's sometimes the most believable visuals I've even seen, janky weirdness and all.

The lighting and faces and small weird details like rocks, dust and clothes deforming is what makes it. Truly surreal, even in this janky form. Could be the biggest jump we see in awhile.

I just hope that Animations, physics and game-logic simulation can keep up (which it hasn't in awhile now, still very PS360 like in a lot of ways)

Last edited:

HL3.exe

In the future, some games could look like these blockouts under the hood:

src01-1920x1080-0a4b432b87754a063f8b38ee2bc503f3.jpg

Then AI will take care of the rest.
Which is probably amazing from a output standpoint. Games these days take FOREVER just from a asset creation standpoint. The turnaround on these insane projects can be doubled or trippled.

niilokin

That old timey film look for Fallout like game looks pretty cool !

that environment switch reminds me of

Imagine in the future you have that kind of filters for eyeglasses

Last edited:
Top Bottom