• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

physical games are dead, long live physical games

Stratostar

Recent pickups this month:
mbEoQaC.png

Both Deus Ex games are sealed. I was a bit surprised to find out the Augmented Edition for HR can still be readily found brand new for cheap.

The Dredge is getting a collector's edition soon. Standard edition physical already out since last year, but apparently this CE will contain a complete version of the game with all the updates and DLCs on cart/disc.

What's included?
🐟 base game & all DLCs (Switch or PS5)
🐟 exclusive artwork & reversible Book of the Deep inlay
🐟 Sign of Ruin replica
🐟 double-sided poster
🐟 map
🐟 compendium of all fish & their aberrant variants
🐟 message in a bottle from the team
🐟 metal doubloon coin

GPljCxAWUAACuxc

Last edited:

Shake Your Rump

Gold Member
Did another nice trade at GameStop. They are giving $30 for PS4 controllers. I traded in three along with Dragon’s Dogma 2 (for $60).

This seems to be an NIS year. I have fully paid off Reynatis, Trails through Daybreak, and Ys Nordics, along with Astro Bot and Metaphor Refantazio. All of this was from their great trade in promotions. Thank you physical discs!

Maaan, I love and hate physical games. Just when I thought I'm done for this month my local retailer put some newish games like HFW Complete Edition, RE4, SF6, AC6, etc. for €16 - €20. Fricking Zelda TOTK is €30 and Animal Crossing is €25! Bruh!! 😳

Even Starfield is €18 (already bought it at a slightly higher price) and the Pokemon Scarlet + DLC bundle is ~€40.

Maaan, I love and hate physical games. Just when I thought I'm done for this month my local retailer put some newish games like HFW Complete Edition, RE4, SF6, AC6, etc. for €16 - €20. Fricking Zelda TOTK is €30 and Animal Crossing is €25! Bruh!! 😳

Even Starfield is €18 (already bought it at a slightly higher price) and the Pokemon Scarlet + DLC bundle is ~€40.
Well, I caved in and snagged the Horizon Forbidden West Complete Edition since the 20 euro price was too good to resist, and I wanted to have the definitive edition of HFW in my collection anyway.

Now I'll have to sell my day one PS4 copy of the game...

RuaZkyH.jpeg
ijEFf2A.jpeg

StereoVsn

Those are some good prices though if you haven’t gotten them.

TransTrender

Gold Member
This looks delicious to me:

Love that physical gold cart with the NES sleeve.

First time jumping in this thread, and I see this.
Just pre-ordered at Best Buy.
At first I thought it was some LRG shit but it's real Nintendo.
I need to reset the clock on 'Never paid retail price for a game' as well as 'Pre-ordered anything'

Last edited:

Kupfer

First time jumping in this thread, and I see this.
Just pre-ordered at Best Buy.
At first I thought it was some LRG shit but it's real Nintendo.
I need to reset the clock on 'Never paid retail price for a game' as well as 'Pre-ordered anything'
The module is not a real working module, is it?

jshackles jshackles New update on the Chained Echoes Physical Release via Noisy Pixel:

Chained Echoes developer Matthias Linda recently posted a new update on the game’s Kickstarter page detailing the current situation surrounding the promised physical release.

Linda clarified that the physical versions are still being worked on, but continuous delays have occurred. The message goes into extensive detail regarding the initial work of establishing a physical release, ultimately partnering with FGP, who released the CrossCode original soundtrack.

Moreover, the physical release kept being pushed back because of post-launch updates like New Game+ and several other factors.

Then some delays started to happen. One such delay was that it took longer than anticipated to get the game approved for a physical release by the console companies (nothing big, just bugs in their back end).
Additionally, a few of FPG’s manufacturers started to delay parts of their products due to broken machines or because FPG wasn’t happy with the quality. This not only happened to Chained Echoes but also to other releases of FPG, bringing their whole production pipeline almost to a halt.

At first, these delays sounded like they would only take a few weeks, so FPG delayed the release by only a bit to the end of 2023. But the manufacturers, especially of one specific part, kept them hanging week after week.
This delay was caused by the printing company, who itself is dependent on the punching company. FPG had to redo all punching dies of the packaging from scratch, and the punching company was not able to provide anything on time, even refusing to answer urgent calls and emails.
Currently, no planned release date has been stated, but the following notes were provided:
  • The game itself needs to be approved by the console companies. This was finished in Q4 of 2022 for the digital release of Chained Echoes.
  • The physical game version needs to be approved by the console companies. This was finished in Q4 of 2023.
  • The physical units need to be produced by the console companies. This will happen in the first week of July for the Playstation version.
The PlayStation version production will begin at the start of July, a three-week estimation. Then, the Switch and PC versions will be completed and shipped.

Power Pro

As a physical collector, outside of just rarity of certain titles...the most difficult aspect for me, is just deciding which thing to get at the moment sometimes is. Like switch is my primary collecting platform, and there are so many titles i still don't have that i want, and i often cant decide "do i get this title now, or this one." Sometimes it feels like the choice isn't mine, because "well if i dont get this one now, it'll only go up in price maybe" so i feel like i should get ones im not interesting in playing right away because of rarity BS.

Just kinda frustrated, cuz I'm in that predicament right now. I have the spare funds to pick up another title, but I'm bouncing all over the place unsure which one to get now instead of later.

I think that's part of the reason why i like shopping in stores in person. it helps limit your choices if you see something that you want right in front of you, as opposed to...well i can order ANY title i want online if i'm willing to pay the prices they are.

Last edited:

Lunarorbit

I refuse to buy nintendo games digitally. I think there will be cross generational support from switch 1 to 2 but they've burned me too many times.

Killer8

This looks delicious to me:

Love that physical gold cart with the NES sleeve.

I can't decide between this or the Japanese release available on Amazon JP. Naturally there is no golden NES cart and instead you get a pair of Famicom controller repros for the Switch. I think the postcards based on the box art look nicer than the US equivalent (but that's just a side effect of JP box art being better in general). The Amazon version also comes with some sort of placard stand thing if you pre-order.

81T490VGbuL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

71Qx6TpRz+L._AC_SL1333_.jpg

Havoc2049

My batch of Atari 7800 re-releases just came in. It's nice that Atari is doing this, in support of the new 2600+ console. Complete copies of Ninja Golf and Fatal Run go for like $150 these days, as they were late gen 7800 releases and not that many copies were made.
qNBgsgF.jpeg

FewRope

This comes out of nowhere - but I am positively surprised.
I loved the Hitman series until the steaming turd called Absolution. Everything that came after that had a different vibe, didn't feel like Hitman to me anymore.
Have you played the new trilogy? It's quite literally the best Hitman has ever been

Welp, here are my latest physicals since the last update, which I believe was the TEVI post about 10 days ago. Yes, I love physical games. :)

This summer, I also plan on doubling down on more Japanese and some North American imports too.

Locally, I'll be grabbing some indies and smaller AA games, such as Outer Wilds, Cigny, The Stanley Parable: Ultra Deluxe, As Dusk Falls, etc.

U6cbR5v.jpg

eKtaaCM.jpg

oXq0zvr.jpg

DD3ngSD.jpeg

Rocco Schiavone

Gold Member
The definitive Edition of GTA is complete bullshit. Especially that the enhanced PS5 graphics are locked behind the digital editions that you can only purchase from the PSN Store and there's no upgrade option.

The definitive Edition of GTA is complete bullshit. Especially that the enhanced PS5 graphics are locked behind the digital editions that you can only purchase from the PSN Store and there's no upgrade option.
Yikes, I can't believe I fell for this Rockstar scam. I usually look these things up, but for some reason I didn't do it with this GTA Trilogy Definitive Edition. Lesson learned though, and I'm going to get this copy refunded right away since I still have the game in shrink wrap. I'll probably get the Series X version once I find it cheap enough as apparently the physical version comes with both Xbox One and Series X entitlements.

Anyway, thanks a bunch for helping out, buddy! Here's some GAF gold on the house!

Top Bottom