• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pikmin 2 Conf. Call Details

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
Edit: totally forgot to mention that the call had questions being answer by the title's producer, and one of the directors, and was translated by Bill Trinnen.

Got off the phone about an hour ago and thought I'd throw some thoughts up here before writing my articles. Overall it was a pretty noninformative call. I mean, they talked about a lot of stuff and it was all really cool. I just mean that if you're someone who;s been following the game really closely (like me), there wasn't a lot of new info. Things of note:

- Nintendo's ad budget for the title is 4M

-They're (obviously) not talking about the next pikmin, but they stressed repeateadly that they love the series and by all means intend for it to be an ongoing franchise (yay!)

- They toyed around with having a full co-op mode through the 1P quest, but eventually removed it b/c they had to compromise too many of their ideas to make things work with a 2P mode. Instead focused on creating a solid 1P experience and the sep. multiplayer modes.

- Whe asked what would excite gamers the most, the dev mentioned that many of the objects players see on the ground and that they recover are actually "old, branded products that gamers might not have seen for a few years." I wanted to ask about a couple of specifics but time ran out. Sounded like NES carts and the like, which is cool.

- The emphasis from very early on in the dev cycle was player freedom. Adding louie and new pikmin gives players more freedom to attack problems how they wish. The removal of the 30 limit allows them the freedom to be as leisurely as they like. Lastly, since the goal of the game is to make money, players can go for the easier to get but cheaper items, or the more challenging but more valuable items.

- The game has about double the enemies and double the items to collect.

Glancing over my notes those were the most interesting things I remember about the call.

TekunoRobby

Tag of Excellence
Thank you very much GDJustin, those were great notes!

I really like the fact that they want to continue working on the franchise, I think this games PERFECTLY suited for a DS treatment and possibly online competition further down the Nintendo road.

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
TekunoRobby said:
Thank you very much GDJustin, those were great notes!

I really like the fact that they want to continue working on the franchise, I think this games PERFECTLY suited for a DS treatment and possibly online competition further down the Nintendo road.

Indeed. It didn't seemed like the canned "we hope to continue the series" response. They kept repeating how much they like the series and hope 2 is well recieved so they can continue it.

I should also note that my actual article will obviously be more in depth. There was a lot of other stuff brought up as well. This stuff is just what jumped out at me.

I was also on the call and was going to write up a story for Gaming Age (the main site), but for some reason it's down and I've yet to find out why :(

Anyway, here's what I typed up while listening to the conference call. Please forgive any grammatical errors and/or spelling errors. It'll be pretty accurate, but not 100 percent quoted.

Pikmin 2 Conference Call

Tom Harland is Chairperson.

Tezuka & Hino from NCL

Tezuka producer…Hino Director.

Pikmin won AIAS for 2001 for most innovative game of the year.

Bill Trinnen from NOA will translate today. Worked on localization for the game as well.

Tezuka: In developing Pikmin 2 I was a producer giving advice to the development team about gameplay.

Tezuka: On Pikmin 1 I wasn’t involved in game development, but did assist Miyamoto in a few game development details.

Hino: One of 2 directors on Pikmin 2. The other was Mr. Habbe. I was focused more on graphic design and character elements in the game.

Q: Gamer’s Edge: With the addition of Capt. Olimar’s assistant, how does this add to the complexity of the game?

A: Tezuka: In the original there was only 1, now there are 2 characters the player can control simult. This adds strategic elements and can control 1 character to complete one objective, and another character to go to another. Provides players with new challenges and more excitement.

Q: GI: Since the Jap version has been out for a while, has there been any thoughts on a Pikmin 3 or maybe a Pikmin game for the DS?

A: Tezuka: Well unfortunately we can’t discuss any future development plans today. But, because the Pikmin games have been well received we look forward to developing future games.

Q: NOA: Much of the character art for the game is clay sculptures. Did you work in clay to create the characters for the game? Were they designed in clay or on paper or on computer?

A: All of those models you see in the artwork were sculpted in clay. We then took those sculptures and scanned them into digital versions and then combined them into collages to make the final art.

A: Tezuka: One of the members of our illustration team was very passionate about doing this and creating the artwork.

Q: Game Daily: Was the decision to do away with the 30-day timeline in response to critical opinions on the first game?

A: Tezuka: The original game’s focus was on getting the player trying to escape the planet in a given timeframe. So the player was challenged to go thru it in 30 days. We wanted to create a game with greater freedom to explore at leisure and to get to know the world better. That was why we eliminated the 30-day time limit. We do listen to user feedback and did take that into consideration with the sequel.

A: Hino: One of the points we want to stress about Pikmin 2 is that we removed the 30 day time limit. Original game we wanted to solve puzzles in a timeframe, this game we wanted to let them enjoy the world of the Pikmin to their heart’s content and we hope people look forward to that. To be honest, although Pikmin and 2 are using same game system, you’re going to find you’ll get very different experiences from the 2 games.

Q: CNP Media: How Pikmin 2 differs from Pikmin. What kind of details went into the sequel and how will these elements impact the gameplay?

A: Hino: The Pikmin games have a basic system where the player acts as a leader and gives the Pikmin tasks to complete. In addition to giving an additional character to control in Pikmin 2, we’ve added 2 more Pikmin. This gives the player more tools at their disposal to face the problems and the strategic elements. We’ve made it more essential to give orders and to complete those goals. The characters act as the leaders.

Q: GameCube Advanced: Now that Pikmin 2 has been completed, is there any chance of the series expanding into handhelds?

A: No future Pikmin games have been announced, but our hope is that fans of Pikmin 2 will write in to Nintendo requesting more Pikmin games.

Q: Game Daily: Pikmin 1 was critically received well. One complaint was Pikmin’s length was short. How has this changed for the sequel?

A: We did receive feedback about the game length. We took this into consideration and realized that by removing the 30-day time limit we would give players a chance to explore the world more and by increasing the volume we think the game will provide a longer experience.

Q: IGN Cube: There are battle modes, but there isn’t a regular quest co-op mode and I’m wondering why not?

A: Tezuka: We actually wanted to include 2 player co-op at one point, but looking at the system, we decided to move the 2 player into other areas in the game.

A: Hino: We did experiment with 2 player gameplay in main game, but what we found is that if we developed the entire 1 player mode around the 2 player mode we had to change the 1 player game into something we didn’t want to. By moving it into it’s own modes and maps we could keep the 1 player mode the way we liked.

Q: ToyQuest: Pikmin was very popular, but the people we spoke with didn’t get as much from it, especially people that aren’t into strategy games. Non-Strategy folks didn’t get as much enjoyment out of the game, and does Pikmin 2 address this?

A: Hino: If you look at Pikmin 2, you’ll see the surface maps are similar to the 1st game and creates a similar style of play. With the addition of the caves in Pikmin 2, a player goes underground with a set amount of Pikmin and can’t increase or decrease the quantity. As they lose their Pikmin in battle, it makes the game feel like an action game than a strategy game. It’s hard to categorize the game and put into a genre. It ahs taken the strengths of Nintendo to make the game one nice little package.

A: Tezuka: The nice thing we’ve done is that we’ve added a lot of these action elements, we’ve also made the controls simple enough that people who haven’t been good at action games in the past will find they can get to the end of this game, thus broadening the audience.

Q: Gamer’s Edge: If you could pick 1 new improvement in Pikmin 2, which one do you think will get gamer’s the most excited?

A; Tezuka: 1 thing we’ve tried to do with original and this one is to make the world feel like it’s very real. Kind of like you might think Pikmin really exist. One thing we tried to do with the sequel and to get people excited and nostalgic, you’ll notice items with logos and packaging you might remember from the past or that you might be playing now. It’ll be fun to come across real-world objects as you play Pikmin 2. This will bring the game to a new level of realism.

Q: Game Cube Advanced: We’ve seen that Nintendo’s movie ads in US has been interesting. And we’ve seen the Pikmin 2 midget commercial on the TV. Does Nintendo have further plans to market Pikmin 2 to the general consumer?

A: Tom: Overall Pikmin is supported with over $4 million in marketing. The TV commercial will run a broad spectrum. Some cinema ads will show Pikmin. 2 demo disc version are at retail and a wide variety of POP in stores. Pikmin 2 is also included with the Nintendo Street Teams. There won’t be any holiday promotions that feature Pikmin. The marketing campaign will ramp up this next week.
Q: Game Daily: Was the game designed to pick and choose the items they want to achieve, but the hardcore gamers could try to find everything?

A: Hino: Yeah, actually that was one of our focuses was to give players freedom to play the game. The 1st objective is to collect money to repay the loan taken out. To repay the debt, players collect treasures. The player will go through, and can choose, how they want to repay the debt. You can choose which ones to get. Or you can play underground and bring back corpses of insects to pay off the debt. The advanced gamer will want to find every enemy and treasure, which will give gamers a very long and challenging game to play.

Q: Game Daily: Regarding the collection aspect, there have been comparisons to SSB: Melee and was wondering if this was a similar system, and was this intentional?

A: hino: No, actually. I haven’t actually played SSB and haven’t tried to copy the system. The idea was to give the players an option to collect the treasures and give players a lot of text and back-story for each individual item so they can read and get enjoyment out of collecting the items.

A: Tom & Bill: A lot of the names and humor have come from the NOA localization dept. Some of the names are very funny. The concept behind the items and descriptions…most items on surface are normal, but the humor comes from the fact that Olimar and Louie are looking at these objects as visitors from another planet and try to figure out what the item is used for. This leads to humorous names for the objects. Some of the writers went all-out and made the game very enjoyable.

Q: Play Magazine: The 1st Pikmin was focused on outdoors with plant moving and the water, how has that improved with the sequel?

A: Hino: With Pikmin 2 we had much of the same staff as Pikmin 1. We ended up going with a very similar image as the 1st game. One thing we struggled with after Pikmin 1 released, we found that when users were asked how big Pikmin were, players had very different ideas as to how big they are…from small creatures to people-sized. With this game we tried to stress their smallness, we focused in on size of Pikmin compared to other items in the world, like branded items. This creates a realistic way to show the Pikmin’s true size.

Final Comments:

Hino: I think 1 of the biggest strengths with Pikmin 2 is removing the time limit. We’ve added in larger maps, and more than double the enemies and double the items. Players can take their time to explore the world and can decide which monsters to fight or what treasures to find. People can go treasure hunting or simply hang out and watch the day pass by with the music playing in the background. It’s this freedom that we’ve given the player that makes Pikmin 2 a success.

Tezuka: I feel the Pikmin series is something we have passionately tried to create and to create a new genre. I feel it’s very different from any other games out there. The music isn’t even able to be classed since the Pikmin create their own music as you play the game. We’ve created these new creatures in the game and they react to the pikmin and it feels like the world is it’s own real world. With pikmin 2 we’ll see a lot of people pick up and play the game and hopefully a lot of people will pick up Pikmin 1 if they had missed it. I’m looking forward to seeing how people react to Pikmin 2.

Li Mu Bai

Banned
CVXFREAK said:
I've had the Japanese version since I came back from Japan, and only played it once.

WHAT'S WRONG WITH ME?!?!?!?

There is no excuse for this blatant betrayal CVX. Pa, get the guns!

Socreges

Banned
Q: Game Cube Advanced: We’ve seen that Nintendo’s movie ads in US has been interesting. And we’ve seen the Pikmin 2 midget commercial on the TV. Does Nintendo have further plans to market Pikmin 2 to the general consumer?
Ugh, what an idiot.

Socreges

Banned
I couldn't care less if someone were to say the word midget here or pretty much anywhere in public. Hell, I probably say "midget" in every day conversation at least once a week. But using an offensive term [even used innocently] while conducting an interview is something else to me.

JJConrad

Sucks at viral marketing
Q: GameCube Advanced: Now that Pikmin 2 has been completed, is there any chance of the series expanding into handhelds?

A: No future Pikmin games have been announced, but our hope is that fans of Pikmin 2 will write in to Nintendo requesting more Pikmin games.
Men, we have our marching orders.

sc0la

Unconfirmed Member
JJConrad said:
Men, we have our marching orders.
:lol :)

Cyan said:
? Is "midget" an offensive term now? What are you supposed to say? There's really no term you could use that doesn't sound either insulting or patronizing.

"Vertically challenged" or the "tall in spirit" ;)

JJConrad

Sucks at viral marketing
Any word used to describe a group of people that was created more than 10 years ago and all words that aren't hyphenated are considered offensive. For example "midgets" is offensive to "little-people," while "bitch-ho" is proper for a "woman." :D

Socreges

Banned
Cyan said:
? Is "midget" an offensive term now? What are you supposed to say? There's really no term you could use that doesn't sound either insulting or patronizing.
It has been for a while.

Midget
n.

Offensive. An extremely small person who is otherwise normally proportioned.

I think they prefer "dwarf" or "little person".

JJConrad

Sucks at viral marketing
Socreges said:
It has been for a while.

Midget
n.

Offensive. An extremely small person who is otherwise normally proportioned.

I think they prefer "dwarf" or "little person".
I wouldn't use the egg-heads (another non-offesive term) who created that dictionary as a source of what's right or wrong. Their definition isn't even completely accurate.

I know a family of little-persons and they call themselves midgets. They take no offense by the term "midget". Just like few white people take offense to the term "greengo," (sp?) even though that word originated as an insult.

You also need to consider that not everybody who uses the word means to in an offensive way. My grandmother was raised calling brazilian nuts as "nigger toes." It was never meant as a ethnic slur of any sort; that's how she was raised. She still uses the term today.

Socreges

Banned
JJConrad said:
I wouldn't use the egg-heads (another non-offesive term) who created that dictionary as a source of what's right or wrong. Their definition isn't even completely accurate.
I'm not. I think a lot of people are aware that they generally take offense to being called midgets. The supposed egg-heads are only supplementary.
I know a family of little-persons and they call themselves midgets. They take no offense by the term "midget". Just like few white people take offense to the term "greengo," (sp?) even though that word originated as an insult.
You also need to consider that not everybody who uses the word means to in an offensive way. My grandmother was raised calling brazilian nuts as "nigger toes." It was never meant as a ethnic slur of any sort; that's how she was raised. She still uses the term today.
What what?? There are exceptions?? Listen, you don't understand:

"But using an offensive term [even used innocently] while conducting an interview is something else to me."

JJConrad

Sucks at viral marketing
Socreges said:
I'm not. I think a lot of people are aware that they generally take offense to being called midgets. The supposed egg-heads are only supplementary.

What what?? There are exceptions?? Listen, you don't understand:

"But using an offensive term [even used innocently] while conducting an interview is something else to me."
Read more interviews. They're that not uncommon. Especially a word like midget... big deal ;) The alternative words (little person, etc.) are more commomly used in a patronising fashion. This PC-nonsense needs to stop.

Besides, the person who asked the question didn't seem to think it was offensive. Nobody else seemed to take offense to it. Why should you?

JJConrad

Sucks at viral marketing
maharg said:
The people who use a word are rarely the ones who decide whether or not it's taken offensively.
Actually, its the people that use it the most that determine if it's offensive.

But enough of this.... Pikmin 2 rocks!!!!

Socreges

Banned
JJConrad said:
Read more interviews. They're that not uncommon. Especially a word like midget... big deal ;) The alternative words (little person, etc.) are more commomly used in a patronising fashion. This PC-nonsense needs to stop.
In that case, you should have no problem providing examples.

Not that it would change my mind on this.
JJConrad said:
Besides, the person who asked the question didn't seem to think it was offensive. Nobody else seemed to take offense to it.
Why would they? Were there any midgets in the audience? I know Japanese people are often shorter than most, but I think they consider themselves to be of normal size. ;)

All I'm saying, quite clearly, is that it was stupid to use a term like that while of the press.
Why should you?
...you're not following me very well.

snapty00

Banned
laugh.gif
@ people getting offended by the word "midget"

How dare they! This is a social injustice of the highest degree!

:D

Top Bottom